Crew Stadium 2.0 - Construction News and Notes

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by LaMacchia, Oct 6, 2019.

1. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As @kgilbert78 points out, maybe the fact that this is more than two decades in the future means no one really cares that much right now.

Plus, if this is in response to an article by Bill Bush, it's really not worth our time to discuss.

2. LaMacchia

LaMacchia Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This.

F*ck that guy.

3. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    Take it easy on him. Everyone needs a gimmick when the talent doesn't exist.

4. LaMacchia

LaMacchia Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well done.

5. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    They won't be leaving, both because of the Modell law and the contract they signed for LDC. They currently get all the revenue from LDC and only pay $10 (yes, that's 10 dollars) a year in rent so buying out the stadium won't save them rent payments. Only scenario I see them exercising their right to buy would be if they need a new stadium and want it built elsewhere in the metro area. Then they might want the current LDC site for commercial real estate development. Maybe.

6. Paul171121

Paul171121 Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 14, 2018
    Crewmudgeon repped this.
  7. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In (probably) non-news, the company known as Lower.com had to recently downsize. They're blaming the raising of interest rates by the Federal Reserve. Naturally, the Crew FO refused comment.

And then we have how much Nationwide and Huntington paid for their naming rights, but oddly enough, no comparison to other MLS stadia. It seems a better comparison to "similar deals" might be to other MLS stadia.

https://abc6onyourside.com/news/loc...y-layoffs-huntington-bank-nationwide-columbus

8. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #7083 Minnman, Oct 8, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2022
    I saw that, too. I don’t see why the Crew would have anything to say about the subject. Anyway, lower.com had fewer than 300 employees in 2000. Under 900 in 2021. And this have, what, over 1400 now? I mean, there’s job cuts and there’s job cuts (Columbus Business First reported that the job cuts were modest; I’ll see if I can find the number). The company seems to be doing pretty well, all in all.

Edit: found it. While the company didn’t announce the number of job cuts, if it had been more than 50, it would have had to be reported to the state Dept of Job and Family Services. So fewer than 50 jobs were cut. The company had 1600 employees in August, 40 more than in January. So, basically, they have as many employees now as they had in January, and about 1300 - and over 400% - more than they had in 2020.

LaMacchia repped this.
  9. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    The Fed's increase in interest rates has driven up mortgage rates. That's led to fewer home sales which no doubts impacts Lower.com's business. I doubt it will affect their sponsorship for 2023 and the market expects rates to decrease once inflation subsides. Opinions differ over when that will be, of course but LDC doesn't need to make a decision on their sponsorship soon.

10. Paul171121

Paul171121 Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 14, 2018
    Columbus crew related teams have not lost a cup final at the LDC.

MLSinCleveland repped this.
  11. zman31

zman31 Member+

May 5, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thought this was cool and finishes with Columbus!

POdinCowtown, stanger, hardhead and 2 others repped this.
  12. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. MelbaToast

MelbaToast Member+

Jun 20, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Interestingly, both the new Titans and Bills stads will feature 10k fewer seats than their current digs

14. Paul171121

Paul171121 Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 14, 2018
    Gahanna Lincoln vs New Albany will be at HCS on Friday

15. MFRONE

MFRONE Member+

Jul 24, 2000
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    The new parking garage blocks the clear view of LDC from 670

16. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's a trend here. Younger folks aren't into the season ticket thing as much. Even games at Ohio Stadium do not sell out like they used to. I also think the thought is to make the event more exclusive--which lets you raise prices. Baseball went to smaller stadia decades before, start9ng with Camden Yards.

17. DrunkandDisorderly

Mar 17, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I think it comes down to the price of tickets plus concessions vs sitting in front of a 65" flat screen in HD or 4K with all the cheap food and beer in your fridge and a comfy recliner.

18. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's certainly part of it. We watched the tPOSU-PSU game at a retreat house that had one of those, and the attraction is easy to see (and so was the game).

But I also think it's a change in the culture to more spontaneity.

19. DrunkandDisorderly

Mar 17, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nothing beats the in-stadium atmosphere, but the $500 for two tickets can buy a pretty decent TV anymore.

kgilbert78 repped this.
  20. LaMacchia

LaMacchia Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Those pesky Gen Zs and Millennials are ruining season tickets.

Ball Kicker and jairadballerina repped this.
  21. DrunkandDisorderly

Mar 17, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    They value quality over quantity.

22. LaMacchia

LaMacchia Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Damn right they do.

23. west ham sandwich

Feb 26, 2007
    C-bus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not that I have data to support it, but I've been saying sports is pricing itself out of customers for a decade now.

More and more of the higher end seats have been geared to corporate sales. Teams need to make their money somewhere, I don't begrudge that. But your average person can't afford to go to sporting events regularly anymore.

My guess is that has much more to do with it than some sort of generational thing. Though, it's certainly possible, that as you price people out that younger people may be the first to be priced out and then the idea of season tickets may cease to be something they aspire to.

also, those luxury boxes take up a lot of space. Look at old Ohio Stadium and then the expanded new part of Ohio stadium. That was a big difference. Yet, they only added 8000 seats because so much of the space went to boxes and media

24. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    Facts DEFINITELY not in evidence.

25. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Considering the nature of that stretch of highway, perhaps that's not a bad thing. I never caught more than a fleeting glimpse of the stadium, anyway. When I really should have been watching the road.

kgilbert78 and Kryptonite repped this.