Crew Stadium 2.0 - Construction News and Notes

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by LaMacchia, Oct 6, 2019.

1. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. catfish9

catfish9 Member+

Jul 14, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They'll get it done. 100% confident.

The fact that they are also looking for sponsor for old stadium is a good sign too. Will be icing on cake if/when that gets done. For that one they can basically accept any price.

3. LaMacchia

LaMacchia Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If history is a guide: they'll sign a deal ~72 hours before the opener, have the presser on the Thursday before, and then it'll be a couple of weeks until signage and branding is complete.

4. DOGSO

DOGSO Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Jan 24, 2018
    Columbus, OH
    Not really disputing your thoughts ... it could become dated. But everything about the stadium and all other stadiums and seating "patterns" become dated in some way. I wasn't really thinking too hard on whether or not I liked the pattern until your post. Was just trying to remember where I saw that similar design in Crew media. But the more I think on it, the more an opinion emerges.

As you say, it could become dated as most all things do. But it could also become charming, identifiable, characteristic ... even dare I say iconic.

I believe this is part of an overarching design aesthetic. Take the Stadium design ... angular. Same for the Stadium Logo.

Stadium Logo 2.jpg

In a design sense, these sharp angular shapes can be intimidating, but also communicate intelligence, power, movement, action, progression, coolness among others. I think they are following a theme that permeates the stadium and team as a whole. I appreciate that the design (from what I can tell so far) seems to be non-repeating ... and yet identifiable as unique on some level. I also believe the design has a link to the shape, movement and play of the sport of soccer itself. Angual and triangular, aggressive and moving, yet seemingly non-repetitive.

Columbus-Crew-1.jpg

If that is indeed the intent, and a good designer would surely take this into account, then such a unified approach would seek to reach an unmistakable result. In my mind, that result would be iconic recognition. The ability to see this stadium, and seating, without fans, no banners flying, no image on the scoreboards, no chyron on the TV screen ... and know innately what they were seeing. Know for certain it was New Crew Stadium. Even if they are only seeing the seating pattern, or seeing the seating pattern from the height of a plane leaving Port Columbus.

To me that is exception design. Only time will tell if it is viewed as "dated", but I think it leaves open the real possibility that it becomes iconic.

catfish9 and WhiteHartShame repped this.
  5. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I assume they'll get this done before we actually play in the place. I wonder what the club knows (if anything) about how many times the team will appear (from home) on national TV this coming season. I wonder, too, when we'll know if Columbus will host a USMNT WC Qualifier this year. These are huge variables for any sponsor wanting to get its money's worth via national TV exposure.

It's interesting that the club will pursue naming rights for the old stadium. I assumed it was rolled up in the Ohio Health deal. Obviously, it won't be for a ton of cash. Still, it's nice that the team has another asset they can gain a revenue stream from.

6. crewfan_in_columbus

Feb 25, 2001
    Columbus is home
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is a FINALLY a new HD Interior Panorama view from yesterday. Apparently doing one more frequently than every four weeks or so is a little too much for the IT Infrastructure.

If the rumors of an early July opening are true, then we're essentially four months away from the opener. Boy, there is a LOT to do. The structure isn't finished, the concrete section partitions aren't in place. They still (obviously) have to do 100$ of the interior finish work, and probably most importantly, lay sod and give it time to take root. While a LOT has taken place, I feel like there is still a LOT more that hasn't been done that needs to be done prior to a team taking the field there.

TyphonInc repped this.
  7. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But if you go down to the construction timeline here:

https://www.crewstadium.com/about-the-stadium

Everything seems to be on track. Grass isn't supposed to be installed until late April. Also, previously the club has said that the site was ramping up to 400 workers being on site everyday. All we can see is what's going on outside. I'm sure the interior spaces are a beehive of activity at this point.

catfish9 repped this.
  8. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Plus, those skilled trades guys can really move if the drawings are good, and a herd of them can do astonishing things. Wish we could see inside.

9. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    That timeline shows the first Crew home match at the new stadium in August. Seems like a month of slippage.

10. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That timeline has been unchanged since it was created. I wouldn't read much into where the arrow points. It's always pointed there, and the club has always said "July."

11. crew2112

crew2112 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    Dayton, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I see something new on the lower west side. Interior cam 2. Those went in quick. Like 20-40 minutes quick. I like to see the progress.

12. LaMacchia

LaMacchia Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would like to go see what you're seeing, but:
    upload_2021-3-2_18-32-38.png

13. crew2112

crew2112 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    Dayton, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    If you touch “external” it should pop up for internal or external. Select view 2 and there you have it.
    I find the entire camera viewing experience much better on a desk top. Mobile version just isn’t that great.

14. LaMacchia

LaMacchia Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm on desktop and do not have the hover experience that you describe.

Viewing the construction cams on mobile never even crossed my mind.

15. runningoz

runningoz Member

Oct 25, 2014
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I'm not getting internal on either device now.

LaMacchia repped this.
  16. crew2112

crew2112 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    Dayton, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Well it was working when I made the post. I suppose they have to move the camera at some point. Anyways... white seats with some type of pattern going in on lower west side.

WhiteHartShame and LaMacchia repped this.
  17. WhiteHartShame

WhiteHartShame Member+

Nov 16, 2008
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It looks like they have completely removed the internal camera views option. I wonder if they do not want us to see, and comment on, the seating pattern until the installation is complete?

18. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In terms of attendance, Biden announces use of Defense Production Act & deal between J&J & Merck to use Merck's production facilities to help produce J&J's vaccine.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/heal...ohnson-and-johnson-covid-vaccine-partnership/

As a result, and other agreements (J&J facilities now going to run 24/7) Biden now says there will be enough vaccine for every adult by the end of May, two months ahead of earlier projections.

Now, I concede a lot could go wrong between now and then. And I concede that having enough vaccine and everyone getting vaccinated is not the same thing. And that all adults is not everyone. But if this pans out, we could be in pretty good shape, by say, mid-July stadium opening.

The last year, and my own nature and experiences as a Ohio sports fan, tend to make me averse to optimism, but I am getting optimistic about the opening. Dewine already signed off on for 30% capacity. By July, what could we be at? 50%? Two-thirds? 75% More?

19. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cause for optimism--but there's still the spectre of the mutations out there, where the vaccine may or may not be effective--and the J&J is likely to be less effective as it is more specific.

20. Crew96Fan

Crew96Fan Member+

Jul 27, 2013
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’m curious - how many people on this site are planning to get the vaccine? Any one already have it?

I’m an Ohio teacher, so I just got my second dose of the Pfizer last Wednesday. I’m happy to answer any questions about my experience.

21. CybrSlydr

CybrSlydr Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Jun 30, 2013
    Casper, WY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm undecided at this point.

Is it really a vaccine if...

1. I can still contract the disease
    2. I can still transmit the disease

I'm younger, so I'm going to wait until the VA has enough, if I do get it at all.

22. stanger

stanger BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have had both moderna shots, along with my wife and two younger daughters.

My wife had a fever/chills for 12 hours after the second dose, the rest of us were unaffected.

23. RafaLarios

RafaLarios Member+

Oct 2, 2009
    Medellín
    Club:
    Atletico Nacional
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    If you contract the disease the simptoms will be much lower, also, the risk of death goes to zero, also its long term effects are also nonexistent and the transmition reduction is palpable.

There are VERY GOOD reasons to get the vaccine. Please get it. Remember that over 500K americans died of this and a lot of people got serious long term effects.

TrueCrew, CybrSlydr and Minnman repped this.
  24. stanger

stanger BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Transmission is almost zero if you are vaccinated.

CybrSlydr repped this.
  25. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I had a similar experience. I'm not actually antique enough, but a family member put me on a standby list for leftover doses.

Anyway, most everyone I know had problems with the first dose, very sore arm, slight fever, chills, felt crappy, etc. for a day or so. So I was prepared for that but I had exactly zero reaction. Absolutely nothing.

Got the second dose, sore arm, slight fever, felt like shit for a day or two.

I'm told that everyone is different but it's not a big deal. I just kept on going and ignored it.

But I did keep asking the same questions that @CybrSlydr asks above and, aside from the main reason for getting it, ie. my wife and son hounded hell out of me, the answers @RafaLarios provides are apparently very valid and proven:

If you do happen to get it you're almost guaranteed that it won't be fatal, transmission rates do go way way down and the duration of any illness will be both much milder and much shorter. Like, a few days rather than a couple weeks. Your odds of ending up on a respirator are nil.

hardhead, TrueCrew, stanger and 3 others repped this.