Crew/San Jose PBP and post game [R]

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by AndrewGK, Sep 7, 2002.

1. Elizabeth

Elizabeth New Member

Apr 22, 2002
    Columbus, Ohio
    Any of you see the game or hear every minute of it? I as in and off the net...

Was Garcia any good? Crew.com posted him MOM...but he missed a open net at 10 yards or something? and then hit the post. How ishe MOM?

Wish I heard more...particulary if McCarty was an idiot or not.

2. Roel

Roel Member

Jan 15, 2000
    Santa Cruz mountains
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Garcia was good, but Buddle was very, very good. McCarthy and Denton were clumsy. Their cards were deserved. Dunseth was unlucky on the last one, after playing a reasonable game. Busch made some nice saves, but gave the Quakes plenty of room to shot. Busch got away with a clip on Donovan that should have ended the game for him. A week earlier, Cannon got red carded in the 92nd minutes for a similar foul. McBride got marked out of the match by Robinson. Cunningham was a handful the entire game.

3. Roel

Roel Member

Jan 15, 2000
    Santa Cruz mountains
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    BTW, McCarthy got mercilessly heckled on the way out. He got very upset and went after someone in the Casbah. His handler stopped him, and the cops stepped up.

4. Elizabeth

Elizabeth New Member

Apr 22, 2002
    Columbus, Ohio
    Great review. sounds unbiased and appreciated.

Gald to hear Cunningham getting praise...he doesn't back home much. Fans expect miracles out of him. And McBride...not surprising. McCartheadcase is dumb. our season has been about him being carded out of games. Not worth it, but we don't have a bench.

Busch clipped Donny? Wow..that shows Busch's chutzpuh. Was it bad? Cannon is a jerk...he gets away with murder...but Busch? That is surprising. And I feel for Dunseth...was it avoidable in a percentage we can understand? Too bad...he must have worked his buns off all night jsut for that dumb luck. Thanks for the input.

5. Aimer. Northend Diva

Dec 7, 2000
    Hollywood
    I only posted here because the Quakes played the Crew and I wanted to discuss the game and also congratulate the Crew on their excellent play.

I don't live in San Jose.

Treated me terribly? they laughed at us and we laughed with them....I was later given a Fire scarf at MLS Cup and made some friends.

I haven't watched Oprah in a long time.

Now would you like to discuss (Chad) McCarthyism vs Conradism when it comes to seeing yellow cards. How about Donovan's inability to score or the Crew's inability to capitalize on the many chances they had....and they had plenty. Personally, from what I heard, the Crew should won...they hit the posts like 4 or 5 times like right in a row.

6. Flyer Fan

Flyer Fan Member+

Apr 18, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    Constantly bearing the cross of Cunningham martyrdom must be a rough job, huh?

7. Virginian

Virginian Member

Sep 23, 1999
    Denver, Co
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fluke goal killed us. One of the few times I really wanted the game to end before overtime.

Can you believe our lineup? At one time we had McBride, Buddle, Martino, Perez, Garcia, and Cunningham in!! I am a firm believer in letting the best guys play and forgetting about positioning. We scored three goals with most of these folks in. I don't remember there being any conflict on the field as to who was running the offense, rather, there seemed to be a very nice flow and attack. Maybe it was just Dwight's voice, but things sounded really nice.

Now if we could add West and Maiz in there without sacrificing defense. Heck, with that lineup, we wouldn't need defense, we'd score 10 goals and they could score their 5 and we'd still win by 5 goals.

I am being silly, but that lineup seems to have a bunch of potential. Throw in Maiz as a defensive middie and oughton as a center back and with Torres and dunseth and I think we'd have a pretty solid group. Attack oriented soccer is so much more fun - see last year's Miami team.

8. CrewToon

CrewToon Member

Jun 13, 1999
    Greenbrier Farm

Reality: With Virginian's lineup, Fat Sigi and the other MLS coaches would play 10 men in the box the entire match...

9. Raoul

Raoul New Member

Sep 19, 1999
    Downtown Dublin
    I'd like to see it too, Virginian. Good defense may win championships, but good offense fills the stadium and wears down the opposing D.

10. Elizabeth

Elizabeth New Member

Apr 22, 2002
    Columbus, Ohio
    Nah. Galdly bear it.

We'd be long ago in last place without him. That simple.

11. Elizabeth

Elizabeth New Member

Apr 22, 2002
    Columbus, Ohio
    How many times do we have to say...go with the best 11? I am surprised Greg actually had three of our top forwards on the field...and I hoped ( and posted with LUD) for it to happen.

That is how the ball goes in the net....he did the right thing on being offensive. Let's hope it wasn't because we were lackiing some major players. Keep up the offensive push Greg....don't let Chicago run over us.

12. CrewToon

CrewToon Member

Jun 13, 1999
    Greenbrier Farm
    I don't expect miracles out of Cunningham but I do expect him - after all these years - to put a quality finish touch on a shot on goal.

13. CrewToon

CrewToon Member

Jun 13, 1999
    Greenbrier Farm
    I disagree. Buddle and McBride up front would easily take up the slack - and both of these players have demonstrated a finishing touch as well.

14. DougO

DougO Member

Jan 2, 2001
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    McCarthy deserved exit, buit really, the game should have been sealed 3-1 at the half- Clark took down Landon on a breakaway straight up the middle and didn't see red. Crew should have played the second half with 10 men. Gus St Silva was the 5th game ref this year that failed to give a clear goal-scoring opportunity denied the appropriate card. So we're getting used to it but man we shouldn't have to; these MLS refs suck big fat donkeys'.

DougO

15. AndrewGK

AndrewGK New Member

Apr 12, 1999
    Dublin, Ohio, USA
    I am just glad you didn't try to do your bitching in hiaku format. :D

FYI - EVERY team in MLS has been hosed by refs.