Crew looking to sign defender

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by fidlerre, Sep 13, 2007.

1. CLG431

CLG431 Member

Oct 20, 2006
    Westerville, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Didn't they already have these this year? Or did they feel the need to suck another $100 out of hopeless soccer players

2. HardHatMike

HardHatMike DOOOOOOOOM!

Traktor Nebraska
    Aug 31, 2005
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe assembling a crack thug squad to go after the Hispanic league guys?

3. Liverpool_SC

Liverpool_SC Member

Jun 28, 2002
    Upstate, SC
    Why all the hate for Sasha Victorine. He is a above-average MLS player, though I would prefer him in midfield (where you have cover) over defense. He would not be a bad fullback, though.

He would be one of the best finishers on your team the day he joined it.

I understand the frustration with Sigi-nepotism and all, but I don't understand why Sasha gets lumped in with very over-the-hill players and never-were players as a terrible option ...

How many other non-forwards on your team have 29 goals and 39 assists? Heck how many of your forwards have those kinds of stats?

4. DGA57

DGA57 Member

Jun 17, 2002
    Dublin, OH
    How can you say that? We have used Thomas all three games he's been available this year.

:D

5. scaryice

scaryice Member

Jan 25, 2001
    Griffin is crap. Sorry Crew fans.

6. soccerwookie

soccerwookie New Member

Aug 2, 2001
    Columbus OH
    We're just saving him the trouble. Everyone we have(well, had) that likes to score doesn't get along with our coaches.

7. Zak

Zak Member

Feb 18, 2002
    Massive Club
    Raise your hand if you're worried about mortgaging the future of the Cleveland Crew....

The concensus from what I understand is that MM is gone after this season; and I think Sigi will probably be gone as well. If you're a GM or a coach out there why on Earth would you come to a place where you get zero ownership help, and seemingly get zero interest from players wanting to live in your city.

I haven't a clue how GBS ended up on this squad.

8. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
    Always interesting when armchair fans chime in......

9. Zak

Zak Member

Feb 18, 2002
    Massive Club
    Megson=Legend.

And with that I'll get back to my Heroes marathon.

10. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
    Megson = Out of a job by Christmas. If he is lucky. My money is on Thanksgiving.

Geek.

11. Zak

Zak Member

Feb 18, 2002
    Massive Club
    I've been sitting with La Turbina all season, I had to go in disguise though. Dodgy tache, straw hat and annoying drum. Trying to broker a deal where their group cooperates and joins in with everyone else. If I can get their leader, the old lady from the supporters sheild presentation, and Kryptonite all in a room together it'll be as historic as getting FDR, Churchill, and Stalin all in a room.

12. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
    I thought you said disguise?

I need to borrow the Heroes DVD.

13. Zak

Zak Member

Feb 18, 2002
    Massive Club
    That girl came back last night after you left and forced me to have sex with her.

The nice thing about next season is that MLS is going to give us the Golden Buckeye discount on Frankie Hejduk's wages. Money that will go straight into Clark Hunt's pocket.

14. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My super-secret inside sources confirm that at the last minute prior to the close of the MLS Mini-Window, the Crew acquired the rights to Leonard Griffin from the F*re, in exchange for our fourth round pick in the 2008 Supplemental draft.

(Because, of course, the ridiculous MLS rules say that even though the F*re waived the guy in 2007, they still have his rights so we have to pay them for a player they cut and who is currently playing for someone else)

Of course, this doesn't mean he's coming right over, because the F*re does not hold his contract. The Portland Timbers do and they aren't letting him go right now.

Not that we'll hear it from the Crew anytime soon, but it's a done deal. As we all know, the Crew likes to keep this stuff a secret.

15. smithnwesson

smithnwesson New Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Columbus, OH
    Kinda like how nobody wants to admit they slept with the fat girl...

16. eboe

eboe Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 23, 2006
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's from the Crispy Christians, oops, I mean the Cleveland City Stars, our shining hope for inspiring new talent from the USL2.

EDIT: What sources Bill, the Columbus Dispatch? :D

17. HardHatMike

HardHatMike DOOOOOOOOM!

Traktor Nebraska
    Aug 31, 2005
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And what crime did he commit to deserve being sentenced to playing in Columbus?

18. eboe

eboe Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 23, 2006
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He told his coach that no matter what the rules were in this town, he just wanted to DANCE! (as an aside, can you believe they are planning a remake of Footloose? good lord...)

19. kaiser kraut

kaiser kraut New Member

Jun 26, 2001
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    but I don't want land... I'd rather just SING!

20. Flyer Fan

Flyer Fan Member+

Apr 18, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    This is one rule that I think MLS needs to review and change. I've never understood why teams retain players' rights after they waive them; it never made sense to me.

21. west ham sandwich

Feb 26, 2007
    C-bus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought they already changed this starting this year. Wasn't their much mocking of Ives aournd here about it?

22. kaiser kraut

kaiser kraut New Member

Jun 26, 2001
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought that was because of our pal Teddy, or Jimmy, or ??? Nizoliack (sp?) You know, the kid that was next door neighbors of original Clifton gangsta G Danny-Z. The kid was drafted and decided he wanted to live in mom's basement and get free lasagnia and spicey meatballs all the time while holding down a pretend job of practicing with the Metrotards. So then whoever was in the FO at that time in NY wanted to give us some banana peels in return for his waiver rights or something stupid like that. And we said, f-that, give us Angel... or so Ives claimed.

Anyway, yeah, its a messy situation made more confusing by my terribly inaccurate story. Cheers