Crew @ KC :: Post-Game [R]

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by Plowmanoo, Jun 29, 2005.

1. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Don't take this the wrong way, but you are a complete fvckin idiot.

If we should expect more, why was everyone predicting a loss going into the game.

We were the better team on the field for at least 70 minutes of the game, which is pretty damn impressive no matter what two teams are on the field.

Buddle continued to wake up from his 2 month long nap. Martino played well. Schulte and Kelly played better than any of us would have expected.

But, hey, you had your post game thoughts written out at 630, before the game even started. Same **************** from you all the time.

If you can honestly look at that game and not see it as a step forward from how the team had been playing than you are even dumber than I give you credit for.

2. Zak

Zak Member

Feb 18, 2002
    Massive Club
    I predicted a victory actually. KC is an easy enough place to play, Wolfe was out, and I don't rate KC all that highly to begin with.

Based on what? Possession? You're having a laugh. Dangerous chances? You're certainly not talking about that.

I agree with you on Buddle. And what happens? He gets injured. Martino? Again, you're having a laugh. He was totally invisible. Did he have a single shot? No. Did he have a single dangerous pass? No. Did he make himself available atop the 18 yard box when forwards pulled the defense towards the touchline? No. I have absolutely no idea what you are basing is "played well" performance on. Kelly did a job. Schulte is lucky they didn't attack down his side more, which is a coaching error on the part of KC. He is clearly the weak man in this back four, to say that Wingert isn't better there than on the bench is laughable.

It's the same thing from most of us Hang, including you.

A step forward, I'll grant you. But only in the play between the 18 yard boxes, there weren't nearly as many long balls as we've seen out of Crew previously. As far as dangerous passes and maintaing possession inside of 35 yards, I'm sorry I just don't see it. Perhaps you've become apathetic and don't mind seeing baby steps out of this team. Fair play. But when you are light years behind NE and Dallas, I just can't see how that is acceptable in any fashion.

These baby steps need to become gigantic steps, look at the schedule, if points, 3 points at a time, aren't gained soon, we will not make the playoffs. Period. Do you fancy Crew to make the playoffs or nick points off of people given that we're at home a total of three times after August 20th? You then have NE twice over the span of 11 days, I certainly don't think Crew earn any points there. On current form I can't see Crew earning points after the Chivas game on Oct 1.

Either way, this post will be a titanic waste of time on my part. Like it or not Dani does bring up some valid points.

3. DaniCrew

DaniCrew Member

Nov 15, 2000
    Tallmadge, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe expect was the wrong word... perhaps i should've said demand more...

I guess you are more easily impressed than i am...

I did??? how did you come to that conclusion???

Why would the same crap level of play change my opinion???

You say it was a step forward, i say it was us standing still... KC was crap last night as well which contributed to the final score... perhaps that's what we have become conditioned/reduced to: looking for silver linings since we know it's not getting better...

4. JayFunkeyFresh

Jul 10, 2004
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think here's the definition of Martino playing a good game:

He receives the ball with his back to the defender and goal and does a nifty turn that's looks like flair. Everyone gets excited because it looks good. However, he then falls down from either a foul or a slight knock and nothing happens.

Or in other words, Martino reminds me of Jason Williams, the white boy that played for the Timberwolves and now the Grizzlies, I think. He can do a crossover dribble or behind the back pass like nobody's business, but half of his passes end up out of bounds and his shots suck.

5. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Fair enough, so did I, and I think we played good enough to get the win, to be honest.

It's the same team that went to MLS Cup last year, they have been playing better as of late, they put 4 by us just over a month ago.

Funny, around the 60th minute when I spoke to you on the phone you were singing a different tune, saying we were playing well and expecting us to get the win.
    Numerous times Martino turned on his defended and was taken down within 30 yards of the goal. If we have any body taken a decent free kick something comes out of one of those. He also had a decent touch with Woly that set up Buddle at the top of the box which Buddle just missed the upper 90 on.

Also, he tracked back better defensively than he has in almost any game this season.

Buddle getting injured is not indicative of the team playing well or poorly. It just happened. Virtually everyone except Dani would agree Buddle had a good game.

Agreed. But to his credit, Schulte held his own against a much, MUCH, better player in Klien. He didn't cost us the game, which is more than anybody would have expected coming in. Which again falls under the reasons to be encourged category.

Reality dictates that a gigantic step isn't gonna come in one game. Everyone here knows that. If Buddle finishes his chances, and the wall holds up and we won 3-0 we would still be in last place. We wouldn't have recieved 8 points for that gigantic step of improvement.

Nobody expects this team to win MLS Cup this year. It's not gonna happen, I am fine with that. That doesn't mean that when a team is playing better than they were a short 3-4 weeks back that it shouldn't be acknowledged just because they aren't winning the cup.

Valid points are our finishing isn't where it needs to be. Thats fine. Everyone agrees.

When you throw a blanket over the whole performance and say...

thats just laughable, incorrect, and moronic, cause it was not a crap performance. It's just a wrong statement.

6. Elliott

Elliott Member

Oct 28, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    Anybode see "And the band played on", the HIV virus dies unless its continually feed with fresh cells ...

Clearly this is Andrulis, he kills every player he touches so you have to keep feeding him with fresh talent to ruin. With a new goalie coming in and the other fresh talent, we might improve just enough to keep Andrulis around for the rest of the year.

7. TheBlackKnight

TheBlackKnight Vote Kodos in '08!!

Jun 29, 2005
    Columbus, Ohio
    He does play for the Grizzlies now. Sacramento got smart and dumped him realizing what he was about. They now have Bibby running the show, a dramatic improvement.

8. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Dani, this is the same team that put 4 by us on May 14. We lost 4-0.

Now look back at that game, and think about it real hard.

Set aside an afternoon if you need to.

If you can honestly tell me that this game was not a step forward from then, fantastic.

The team is giving itself opportunities to win games. Thats an improvement, if you can not see that you are blind.

9. NorwichBu

NorwichBu Member

Jan 9, 2002
    Columbus, OH

Nice comment about Shulte. Before the match I mentioned about how many assists Klein would have. The man has always torn us up. When I saw that Shulte would be covering him, I feared the worst. To Mark's credit, he shut Klein down (for the most part). Several times I saw Klein drifting into the middle of the park, which he NEVER does when he plays us. Also, how often did he get crosses in? Not very many, as I recall. It might even be argued that Mssr Shulte had more dangerous crosses than Klein, a first for the Crew.

10. TheBlackKnight

Jun 29, 2005
    Columbus, Ohio
    True.

However IMO the team's penchance for giving up leads in less than 10 minutes , the continual injury bug (Buddle, Herdsman) and the Andrulis factor puts a sour note on things.

Are we into the season so far that we should always play for 3 points on the road, and screw the "let's tie on the road" mentality, considering where we are in the standings? Maybe not. The Crew are only 6 points out from a playoff spot.

Then again, if the Crew manage to make the playoffs with the roster as is, would that be construed as something "positive" that Andrulis did, and gets credit for?

That frightens me.

11. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew

You must have missed the memo.

The whole performance was crap.

There is absolutely nothing encourging to be taken from this game.

;)

12. crewcrazy17

crewcrazy17 Member

Mar 5, 2002
    Medina
    Same sh!t, different game.

13. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I see attendance was reported as 5500.

Unfortunately they didn't say what they were counting. It sure can't have been people.

It just cannot be worth it to open Arrowhead for a crowd you could easily accomodate in a decent Hotel Ballroom.

Lamar's announcement of his intent to sell, which was nothing more than a negotiating tactic to try and scare KC into a new stadium for the Chiefs, has apparently had a devastating effect on attendance. HSG seems to have a knck for finding ways to chase off fans. Astonishing.

14. TheBlackKnight

Jun 29, 2005
    Columbus, Ohio
    Must have been a count of the empty seats.

How embarrasing to have a 60,000 seat stadium with only maybe 1% of it actually occupied.

15. scott tann

scott tann New Member

Mar 30, 2002
    columbus, OH
    Did anyone watch the SJ/Rapids game at 10:30? My first reaction was to turn it off, but I'm glad I saw it for a few reasons.

It confirmed my gut feeling after the Crew game - improvement four Columbus, yes, but still a relatively poor display and hardly entertaining. The chances either team created were duffed on the last pass or shot. It was end-to-endish but a killer instinct was lacking on both sides. The Wizards can look like that all year for all I care, but the Crew aren't going to win many over the rest of the season with that kind showing.

I have been really down on Colorado lately, and they didn't look so hot inside the 18, but they had more scoring chances and both goalkeepers were active. I agree with Zak about the Wizards. They seem to have lost what they had earlier and sent it over to San Jose, who looked tight and dangerous last night.

Spartan Stadium has a lot to do with compressing the game and making it more exciting, but there was a cohesion and energy level in the west coast game that was gone at Arrowhead. Watching one game right after the other made it crystal clear.

Two more things: Bob Gansler needs to play Preki more. And El Gauzano didn't look too bad. That goal was tough - a great shot and lots of confusion in front of him. He had a couple quality saves.

16. Dave Han

Dave Han New Member

May 6, 1999
    Auburn, AL
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I knew the attendance would be bad, and I mean bad even by Kansas City standards.

Check out the Wizards' Promotion schedule. Almost every game has some sort of giveaway or event or at least a discount ticket package associated with it. Except one.

17. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew

The must have been counting onthe name recognition of Kyle Martino to sell tickets.

18. McGinty

McGinty Member

SKC/STL
    Aug 29, 2001
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Give them credit for finding so many ways to do it. :rolleyes:

19. NorwichBu

NorwichBu Member

Jan 9, 2002
    Columbus, OH
    No, El Savior......Devin Barclay

20. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Maybe I missed it, but is Martino still nursing an injury, is that why he is never allowed to play a full 90?

21. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    Yea, his sore hamstring. At least that was what Greg said post-NE game last Wednesday.

22. Zak

Zak Member

Feb 18, 2002
    Massive Club
    Doesn't cannabis help sore muscles? Not that Martino would touch the stuff.

23. JasonC

JasonC New Member

May 21, 2001
    Billings, Mont.
    Or the fact that the Crew is such a massive club.

24. Hector & Jane

Hector & Jane New Member

May 30, 2005
    Well, put me down as another "complete fvckin idiot" who is "even dumber than I give you credit for," who needs to "look back at that game, and think about it real hard ... Set aside an afternoon if you need to" and who "can not see that you are blind" because I didn't see anything worth calling "improvement" from the Crew, either.

If I have to hang with anyone on this, it's with DaniCrew.

Apparently there are a lot of in groups and out groups on this board, but if Hang has friends, they'd do well to tell him to shut the "fvck" up when he starts to make an a$$ of himself, which is a fair proportion of the time.

IMHO.

25. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well done. I'm just so proud.. I think I'm tearing up.