Crew @ KC :: Post-Game [R]

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by Plowmanoo, Jun 29, 2005.

1. Plowmanoo

Plowmanoo New Member

Apr 18, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    1-1

Our goal came from Loco off an Elliot shot that came off the bar. I was resigned to the radio, so it's tough to get a gauge on how we played.

2. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Frankly, I thought we played pretty well. Had a few stretches where we were back on our heels, but generally we looked (*gasp*) good. Less aimless passing, better close control. Buddle was playing his best game in a loooooong time before he got pulled. Schulte played pretty well, but Klein did get the better of him a few times. Kelly didn't play half-bad either.

Armstrong looked good - at least, as good as you can when your team is soaking heavy pressure in the last ten minutes. He had a nice first touch, and did relatively well to corral some long clearances and hold up the ball.

Maybe it's just my optimism, but I felt we should have won.

3. TheBlackKnight

TheBlackKnight Vote Kodos in '08!!

Jun 29, 2005
    Columbus, Ohio
    At least the Crew got a point.

Which means Andrulis gets more opportunities to screw up the team.

It's sad when your team earns a tie on the road, a point you need badly because you are in last place, and you have mixed emotions about it.

4. ZipSix

ZipSix BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2000
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought we looked decent for 70 minutes, and lousy drop-back uninspiringly andrulish for 20.

Now I have the answer to: What if they played a soccer game in Kansas City and no one showed up?

Good to see we got that vital 1 point. If new england loses all their remaining games and we draw our next 17 games we'll be tied with them. Good on us.

5. Raoul

Raoul New Member

Sep 19, 1999
    Downtown Dublin
    I thought that was an improvement. We looked more organized and had some decent movement. Yeah, there were some huge gaffs (herdsman), but the subs were improvements. Unfortunately, KMart and Buddle still can't run a full 90 minutes - PITIFUL for regular starters in midseason. Both had good games and were dropping out of play mid 2nd.

If you only want to play 2/3 of the game, how about 2/3 of the PAY. Girlymons - Both.

IMO, Woly and Armstrong looked like good additions. Get ready to be supersubs, Edson and Kyle. Time somebody calls your bluffs.

6. cleazer

cleazer Member+

May 6, 2003
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Crew had a good first half.

Edson actually did some running.

Schulte looked better on a few offensive crosses than he did on defense. Whenever I see him running hard to try to catch up to a player I have to avert my eyes, because its just too ugly to watch. I think one of the funny lines on the broadcast was: "Henderson has to hold up the attack, because help is slow to develop", and then a few second later we see Schulte finally lumbering into the attacking third.

Nice to see El Loco open his account. I'm glad he stayed with the Crew during the Gold Cup.

Gaudette didn't look half bad tonight. He made a few decent saves, and there wasn't anything any GK could have done about that goal from the free kick.

Our defense is going to look pitiful Saturday night, missing both Hejduk and Herdsman.

Was Wingert hurt? Is that why we waited until the 60th to bring him on?

7. TheBlackKnight

Jun 29, 2005
    Columbus, Ohio
    The last 30 minutes were without 2 of the Crew's better attack options. Maybe Buddle was tiring. However, the Crew didn't have a good attack option off the bench, with no Glen to turn to.

8. cleazer

cleazer Member+

May 6, 2003
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    By the way, when Greg took Buddle out in the 60th, my first thought was that Buddle was playing his best game in a long time, so it was stupid to take him out. But then I figured that Greg wants Buddle to play like that for the full 90 on Saturday, so he didn't want to wear him out tonight.

9. Raoul

Raoul New Member

Sep 19, 1999
    Downtown Dublin
    he's only been playing 60 even when he's in for 90!

10. TheBlackKnight

Jun 29, 2005
    Columbus, Ohio
    Like Raoul said, to be near the midpoint of the season and not be in top shape, is pretty sad.

11. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Watch what you say dude, there are still some Buddle backers on here...

12. cleazer

cleazer Member+

May 6, 2003
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey, cut Buddle a little slack here. He looked a lot more interested tonight than he has in weeks past.

13. Raoul

Raoul New Member

Sep 19, 1999
    Downtown Dublin
    I thought he was the most talented player on the field, but great players play with effort and heart the WHOLE game - See McBride Ch. 1, pg.1, ver. 1.

14. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Up until the point he was subbed off, I thought he was our best player tonight.

15. Grouchy

Grouchy Member+

Evil
    Apr 18, 1999
    Canal Winchester
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would agree with comments made about Buddle's efforts but results were still missing. There were a couple that he should have buried.

Generally the Crew did look better but to use an Andrulism, KC had numerous chances to bury goals but put shots high or had Fraser clear them at the last moment and it's a different game if they do.

Still, it's points on the road. I'll take that any day and lets go forward from there.

16. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Eh, I was just ribbing you. I didn't catch the match, so I honestly don't know how Buddle performed.

17. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
    Part time supporter.

18. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You know I was going to get you boys the hotel discount for Chicago, but after that slap to the face, I think I shall refrain from preceeding forth with the goodwill.

19. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof

you never got back to me!

Damn, i feel stupid now.

Anyone know any cheap hotels in chicago?

20. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think I'm going to fly to Chicago. It's tentative, but I just don't feel like driving.

21. The Greatest

The Greatest New Member

Jan 19, 2005
    Ohio
    I didn't see the game, but I have one question. Did we work the ball through the midfield or just boot it up? IMO, that's the key to us playing better, more effiective football.

22. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    Thanks to Loco for sticking around Columbus and skipping the Gold Cup.

23. DaniCrew

DaniCrew Member

Nov 15, 2000
    Tallmadge, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A few of points...

That a few of you were not disappointed with another display of crap is scary... we should expect more...

From the Box Score: Weather: Sunny -and- 94 degrees
    This is just about the time when we went on our "Kiss Our Sister" streak last summer... this is not about being in "better" shape... this is about how the summer heat destroys games and plays them right into our hands... better teams are slowed by the heat and are unable to push the game to us... so, not only do we look "better" because the game is played at a Sunday morning Over-30 pace, but because the opponent (and their ability to play soccer) is lessened putting them at our level...

Enough of this "Win at Home - looks for points on the road" mentality... this is one of the worse things in this league... just play the freagin' games and let the best team win... there were 5K people in the stands tonight... how freagin' imposing is that???... and none of this "not sleeping in your own bed" or "cross-country flight" crap either... there is no excuse for any MLS team to not go out and play their game in any stadium... the sooner we start to reject the "point on the road" mentality, the sooner we will drive the improvement of MLS...

24. Merlin172

Merlin172 Member

Mar 16, 2000
    Kansas City, Kansas
    LOL... more like 500. Seriously, I almost laughed out loud in the press box when they announced the attendance number. I probably could have counted every person in the stands individually. There was no (Read: ZERO) advertising for this match. The HSG firesale of the Kansas City Wizards franchise continues... thank God we're getting a real owner soon.

Interesting to note: Johnny Walker was in the house tonight in a Crew polo. Walked through the press box at one point, and watched the match from an empty TV/Radio booth. Obviously he couldn't suit up until the deal is finalized with Meola signing in NY and so on. It was quite funny though to hear the Wizards fans chanting "Johnny Walker" at Gaudette with Johnny in the building (they had no clue he was there).

25. BenC1357

BenC1357 Member

Feb 23, 2001
    KC
    Well, that didn't go as planned for us KC fans. Quite depressing actually, but the Crew played better than I expected. Or, KC played worse than I expected. I'm not sure which it is.

Either way, you got the point you deserved.