Crew/Galaxy PBP 7/27 (R)

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by AndrewGK, Jul 27, 2002.

1. AndrewGK

AndrewGK New Member

Apr 12, 1999
    Dublin, Ohio, USA
    And JC could start for ANY other team in the league, Raoul. JC can be a good starter too, look at how well he did last year as a starter.

Our current gripe is with how JC is played. He can literally change a game by himself, has the ability to create his own shot, and he can't find the field until it's practically too late last night.

Smith does have to take the responsibility for Bonseu. He WAS the rock last year in the Crew defense, and replacing him with Dunseth/McCarty was not an equal trade.

Crew fans ARE upset that our defense is a weakness now with Bonseu gone. Torres has not been the true answer at left back, as well.

Now if Smith and Andrulis actually go along with the proposed deal of Gazza for a RFK Stadium beer vendor, the fit will hit the shan for sure.

2. Elizabeth

Elizabeth New Member

Apr 22, 2002
    Columbus, Ohio
    Raoul...I would like you to post your stats on when he was offsides becasue he was standing. He was offside becasue our slow as mud play can't pass the ball when he makes a run. And when he makes a run..it is beeating defenders (more than one) and expecting a pass. He is the one who is overestimating out players pace...so tel me, by game, when he was offsides by not getting back on in time. No way. I have seen every match (except untelevised) and he was off because we can't play the ball. We are slow and dumb in quick give and gos. Refute that.

3. PZ

PZ Member

Apr 11, 1999
    Michiana
    Club:
    Ipswich Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now you know how G fans felt when we got the Mexican Champion Diver. :p

4. DGA57

DGA57 Member

Jun 17, 2002
    Dublin, OH
    Elizabeth, it would be nice to get the source for these comments. Did you have a nice conversation with McBride who told you that? Or did Jeff gripe to you?

Dante scored the only goal against Colorado and DC. Based on today's paper, Dante suffered at LA because Ezra took McBride out of the game (assist and all).

Give Dante 60 with McBride, then bring in Jeff for the final 30. The problem is leaving Jeff to do much in 10-20 minutes.

5. DGA57

DGA57 Member

Jun 17, 2002
    Dublin, OH
    Andy, I'm not sure that the defense is the weakness now. We've allowed more than 2 goals 4 times (4-5 at Chicago, 1-4 at NE, 2-3 at SJ, 2-3 vs NY/Nj at home). That's 15 goals in 4 games. We've allowed 16 goals in the other 16 games. That's a GAA of 1.00! That's a 1.00 GAA for 80% of the games played.

The problem we've had is midfield control and finishing by the strikers. We always seem to fall a goal short (0-1, 1-2, 2-3, 4-5) or allow a late goal to lose points. Many of the late goals are not the fault of the defense but of the whole team.

I'm hoping that with the right players, we'll switch back to the 3-5-2. If we do get the stiff from DC due to the league wanting Gazza in DC, then switch to the new formation.

D - Leitch, Dunseth/Clark, Torres
    MF - Maze, Namoff
    West, Martino/Perez, Garcia
    FW - Washington, McBride

Bring on Jeff at the 60 minute mark. Harkes is still out due to the injury so Namoff may be the d/mid that can help defensively allowing Maze to move more into the attack.

6. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Defense is the problem, Gregg knows this and thats why we have seen a complete switch in formation. Last year with the same offensive personnel we were able to run a 3-5-2 and attack. Even when we had the lead we still attacked cause the players and Greg had confidence in th defense. That is not the case anymore. This is why you see us with 4 defenders (cause Andrulis thinks this will cover it up) and this is why you see us pack it in and hope when we have a one goal lead. Plain and simple they don't have the confidence in the defense to play an attacking style. Numbers are nice and everything, but they don't really show the whole picture.

7. Elizabeth

Elizabeth New Member

Apr 22, 2002
    Columbus, Ohio
    Yes. and no in that order. Very pissed off that night too. he was injured and watched form a box with my group. stormed out after everyone was complaining about Jeff not upfront...he was wide then. And he did NOT agree with anyone.

8. Raoul

Raoul New Member

Sep 19, 1999
    Downtown Dublin
    Exactly. BTW, Elizabeth, most of the time JC wasn't called offside because nobody was dumb enough to play it to someone 15 yards off and many of his team mates agree with my assesment. It doesn't mean he's not talented, just that he needs to grow his game and improve his off ball work.
    If you'll check, I believe that is what he said B Arena told him too.

9. Raoul

Raoul New Member

Sep 19, 1999
    Downtown Dublin
    WHY does Smith have to take responsibility for T-Bone? Plus I said that was an obvious mistake - time to get over it. He's done some excellent things as a marketer and GM.

I doubt JC could start for more than 1 or 2 other teams in the league -- DC (?) or KC (?) possibly, but he's not in my top 10 as a starter although he certainly is top five as a 60th min sub ala Glazer (sp) and some others that become game breakers as a sub (Especially if Dante wears the defenders down first).

10. CrazyF.C.

CrazyF.C. New Member

Jun 15, 2001
    Washington D.C.
    Cunny would DEFINITELY start in LA, KC, DC, Colorado, Metros, NE, Dallas

but not chicago or san jose.

he should most definitely be starting for us.