Crew/Galaxy PBP 7/27 (R)

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by AndrewGK, Jul 27, 2002.

1. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    we give up two goals including a late one and he is motm, that seems odd.

2. AndrewGK

AndrewGK New Member

Apr 12, 1999
    Dublin, Ohio, USA
    Still in stoppage time.

Lalas gets booked, free kick for the Crew. Ruiz subbed out. Martino gives ball away on weak free kick. LA counters but Cobi at point black range chokes.

3. Chris_Bailey

Chris_Bailey Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Chicago
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    The entire chat room here is down, man.

4. AndrewGK

AndrewGK New Member

Apr 12, 1999
    Dublin, Ohio, USA
    GAME OVER.

Galaxy 2
    Crew 1

Burgess thinks the Crew got screwed on how "few" stoppage minutes were awarded at the end of the 2nd half.

Andrulis bashers - step forward, you have more ammo. Dante runs out of gas starting in the 60th minute and no Cunningham until 20 min later????

5. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    typical. and a typical result. back down to 3rd and 8th! hot damn!!!!! gosh we gotta get the mutts on wed.

6. ZipSix

ZipSix BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2000
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    at least the revolution can score goals.

7. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    all i have to say is this is a joke. cunningham leads the team in goals and points yet the past 3 games, maybe more i cannot remember...he has played 10-15 minutes? time for andrulis to pull his head out of his a$$ and start coaching better than the local rec league coach...

8. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i give andrulis to the end of the season. if he doesn't go past the first round of the playoffs, he's gone in my book.

9. Eggy

Eggy New Member

May 28, 1999
    CBUS
    Can't wait to see his quote on the match.

10. Zak

Zak Member

Feb 18, 2002
    Massive Club
    we're fcuked, dc looked like magic with olsen back tonight, they were unlucky not to win.

11. CrewToon

CrewToon Member

Jun 13, 1999
    Greenbrier Farm
    That's assuming the Crew makes the playoffs.

If not, both Smith and Andrulis should be sacked.

12. Raoul

Raoul New Member

Sep 19, 1999
    Downtown Dublin
    Smith has increased attendance, improved parking, reorganized marketing, had the Nationally FAMOUS World Cup viewing party, and revamped the marketing departmant.
    Yeah, he's had some confrontation with the V-Army etc, so what. The North end has fought with-in themselves, Big Soccer, CCS security, and other supporter groups - they're IMO a fun, irreverent, undisciplined u-30 group of fervent supporters representing an interesting sub-set of the total fan base.
    Andrulis is primarily responsible for the on-field coaching and subs (mediocre IMO) and he technically works for Smith, but really works for Hunt Sports. I doubt J Smith could or would release Greg without H. Sports full agreement. Greg has done some good things too, and his report card would probably be pretty mixed (but improving) if you broke out all his responsibilities.

Sorry for the unrequested, and probably inflamatory, diatribe, but I'm sick of the bitching,whining, woe is me, attitude that's become prevalent here and I don't think I'm alone.

This (IMO) has been an interesting season of transition to a much younger team that is being restructured for a playoff berth and buildout for next year. I'm anxiously awaiting the return to Crew SOCCER intent of these boards.

Toon! Am I alone??

13. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Zak you are absolutely right. Olsen looked real good. Convey has definately stepped up his play of late. Good thing we aren't enetering into any trade which will most likely make them even better...oh wait.

14. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    and here ya go...

"(Ruiz) is like a bull in a china shop,'' Crew coach Greg Andrulis said. "He's so dangerous and works so hard that you have to keep an eye on him all the time. He's a very gifted player.

"We had our chances and didn't convert. Ruiz got two goals, our forwards didn't get any. What a world-class goal scorer he is.

15. AndrewGK

AndrewGK New Member

Apr 12, 1999
    Dublin, Ohio, USA
    I am certainly not discounting the accomplishments of Smith and Andrulis.

However, some of us have questions lately about the direction of the team.

Andrulis deciding to "pack it in", knowing his defense is NOT the best part of his team.

Last night, Jeff Cunningham being the leading scorer on the team, his team down 2-1 after the 75th minute, and Dante obviously laboring on the pitch after the 60th minute, and NO Cunningham until 20 minutes later.

And now we have this utter nightmare possibly unfolding where we literally give away a "discovery" option to DCU, a "discovery" option that we could use to actually IMPROVE the team, and instead we will give it away in return for a DCU scrub who's main job it will be to chit chat with Tom Presthus and Robert Warzycha on the bench.

Or maybe these issues really aren't that important ... ;)

16. Eggy

Eggy New Member

May 28, 1999
    CBUS
    No, we aren't building anything.

When you build a team you find a core of players that are solid and you go from there.

We have gone back and forth from Martino to Perez, traded Bonseu. Rearranged the defense a million times.

Andrulis is a man who is out of ideas. He really doesn't have the experience for this job and it's time for him to go.

17. Own Goal Hat-Trick

Jul 28, 1999
    ColoRADo
    maybe we could pry o'neil away from celtic?

18. Grouchy

Grouchy Member+

Evil
    Apr 18, 1999
    Canal Winchester
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually, packing the back might have been a decent idea yesterday.

It sounded like the 'gals were going for the quick counter attacks and pressing hard all match. As soon as we netted the tie, maybe sitting back and clogging things up would have burnt away some of that pace as the 'gals played for the win. Then insert Jeff for Dante, go for a quick counter and a win...

Having to use a sub early (Martino for injured Perez) always screws things up.

That said, though, we still need a coach. The rotating line-up is starting to look like the Fitzfailures of seasons past. Letting the players run free only works until those players are out-coached, which is what happened last season during the playoffs versus San Jose.

As Jason Farrell said: "just pick your starting eleven and go with them" ...

19. DGA57

DGA57 Member

Jun 17, 2002
    Dublin, OH
    I'm not sure what to read into the score. We lost away at LA on another late goal. We didn't sub Jeff and Garcia in until the 81st minute. Those are bad things. But from what I've read, we had some good chances and Hartman made some very solid saves. We also hit the post off a header by one of the Brian's. Possession was 52-48 LA, and they had one more SOG than us. So, without having seen or heard the match, it's tough to discuss and criticize (except for the subs coming in late - again).

20. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For what its worth, (and coming from an LA fan) I was impressed with Fredie Garcia in the short time he was on the pitch. Don't know enough about the Crew to comment on other aspects, but you are going to enjoy watching this guy. After the game, Ruiz and Garcia swapped shirts.

21. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    the problem is andrulis seems to not want to play him and therefore no crew fan that wasnt in la last night has never seen him play for our team.

22. Own Goal Hat-Trick

Jul 28, 1999
    ColoRADo
    well, he played against richmond, and was unlucky not to have 2 or 3 goals in 10 minutes...

god knows why he wasnt played in any of the games in between those two though.

23. Elizabeth

Elizabeth New Member

Apr 22, 2002
    Columbus, Ohio
    hang you got htat right. i heard he was tired at half. Dante is now God? I think McBride has chosen his partner. And I means that. He has never liked Jeff and it's selfish of him not to do what is best for the team. Dante is not going 80 plus and making it happen. I'm sick of this.

24. Elizabeth

Elizabeth New Member

Apr 22, 2002
    Columbus, Ohio
    Raoul...are you aka Greg?

Seriously...this is bs that jeff is sitting. I don't care what the deal is personally...you leave it in the practice field and get your ************ together for what is BEST for the team.

We aren't rebuilding crap. We are playing Dante...are we getting him ready for his future? Lord...wake up. This is a personal issue. Not a smart coaching decision.

BTW..Jerry Yeagly told me a couple of years ago...there are no personal issues with me and my players. We have understandings. We agre to do whats best to make it happen and the best 11 are ont he field at the given time. You don't sit a player over personal issues. That is what a good and great coaches get. That is why he is great and we continue to have mediocrity at best.

25. Raoul

Raoul New Member

Sep 19, 1999
    Downtown Dublin
    No I'm Not Greg and I'm a JC believer -- If he would consistently work off the ball and grow his game beyond dribblerama. Christ, he had 3-5 offsides earlier in the season because he was walking back 15 yards behind the defenders.

Adding Garcia and gradually dropping Yeagley and Lapper are movements in the right direction for the NEXT 2 years. Yes, I wish we had T-Bone for Kiwi, but we discussed that ad nauseam in FEBRUARY! IMO it was a mistake but it's over and Martino and Torres were good finds. Can't you look the bigger picture Elizabeth, or has your JC vs. Dante bias caused a narrow focus?

Dante and JC are obviously different style players. I agree with Greg that JC is more effective as a sub. Why he waited so long vs. LA...?