Crew file 2 discovery claims

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by POdinCowtown, Sep 22, 2006.

1. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    It doesn't seem to be online yet but according to Bob Hunter's Rumblings column in today's Dispatch, the Crew filed discovery claims on 2 international players last week. He says the team has basically given up on this season, and is mainly looking ahead to next year. Quotes McCullers as saying the team has plenty of cap space and allocation money.

Let the guessing begin as to who the 2 players are. Eberson maybe for one spot?

2. Chris_G

Chris_G Member

May 21, 1999
    Columbus, Ohio, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fid always seems to be ahead of the game. Any names???

3. Zak

Zak Member

Feb 18, 2002
    Massive Club
    Stan Collymore.

4. NorwichBu

NorwichBu Member

Jan 9, 2002
    Columbus, OH
    Stan Collymore? What, was Les Ferdinand unavailable?

5. 9 Rush

9 Rush Member

Sep 9, 2004
    C'bus
    I want Mick Quinn

6. cleazer

cleazer Member+

May 6, 2003
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hopefully one or two of Virtuoso's buddies from Brazil.

7. electrickeeper

electrickeeper The Ginger Pele
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Oct 14, 2002
    The Cheese Room
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll agree to that!

8. Chris_G

Chris_G Member

May 21, 1999
    Columbus, Ohio, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am a little fuzzy on the discovery rules. I know it puts a claim on that particular player for the Crew so no other MLS team can try to get them. I had no idea you could file them for the next season before the current one ended. You would think it would be for people that had already trained with the Crew, so Eberson is probably a good guess on one of them.

9. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're using the NYRB definition of discovery.

Essentially, it means that the Crew has asked MLS to try and negotiate a contract with that player.

10. Chris_G

Chris_G Member

May 21, 1999
    Columbus, Ohio, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just seemed odd since the season had not ended that the league would take any action in negotiations for next season, but Toronto already wrapped up a guy for next season. So I guess it could happen.

11. Eggy

Eggy New Member

May 28, 1999
    CBUS

Found him dogging in the parking lot and he got the job.

12. Zak

Zak Member

Feb 18, 2002
    Massive Club
    If you think this season was a gut punch, just wait until we try to use an allocation. I predict it'll be worse that putting you hand in a vice while someone belt sands your back, and balpeen hammers your toes. A full compliment of insult and injury.

13. HardHatMike

HardHatMike DOOOOOOOOM!

Traktor Nebraska
    Aug 31, 2005
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    always the optimist :rolleyes:

14. Nonesuch

Nonesuch Member

May 16, 1999
    Old Gridania
    New Age chiropractic my a*se.

15. Zak

Zak Member

Feb 18, 2002
    Massive Club
    Uh, it's time to be realistic Crew fans....We've been sitting on an allocation in some way shape or form for nearly two years? Who did we get? A padder that was barely good enough for Puerto Rico, and some kid that is apparently good because he's Brazilian. I'll take abuse...I'll take criticism, the best thing Columbus Crew can do is trade all allocations to NY or LA for proven and established MLS players. You're not going to get this magical result where all of a sudden someone wants to play for an awful team, in a small market town. That is now the reality of life.

Frankie Hejduk and Jon Busch do not make this rabble an MLS cup contender. Playoffs, maybe, barely, MLS Cup, not a chance.

16. PVancouver

PVancouver Member

Apr 1, 1999
    As bad as things look, the season is not over yet. If the Crew in some miracle fashion win their three remaining games; KC only gets one tie out of their next three matches (preferably against New York); and New York gets two losses and beats KC, or goes winless twice and ties KC, the Crew advance.

But I suspect the Crew's season will end before September does.

17. eboe

eboe Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 23, 2006
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm through with hope for 2006. No point in it. If we get in, it happens, but what then? Unless we can pull a miracle out of our ass, then DC hands it back to us again like they have every game this year, and we are still bitching. Although, maybe that would let us use our special game B tickets... ;)

18. Chris_G

Chris_G Member

May 21, 1999
    Columbus, Ohio, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Try to trade our full and partial for Ching. We would still have our "you suck" allocation from this year and a very high draft pick to pick up a couple more players.

19. JayFunkeyFresh

Jul 10, 2004
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm always at a loss when people do this? I mean, is Houston looking to trade Ching? Why don't you just offer an allocation for LD too?

20. eboe

eboe Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 23, 2006
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    cause we don't want that shitbag's $900,000 salary. Ching gets less than Rozental @ $173,000. Really, it's crazy how much Landycakes makes, as well as Palencia. His GUARANTEED salary is $1,360,000. Of course this is annualized over his contract including option years, but these are all bonuses he will automatically get.

21. NorwichBu

NorwichBu Member

Jan 9, 2002
    Columbus, OH
    I'm with Jay here...who says Houston really wants to trade Ching? They got a pretty talented core of attacking players, why would they trade one away for the opportunity to try and find a new one (where we're at). Pulling hypotheticals and suggestions like that out of your ass isn't very bright. That's the sort of thing that LA, NY, and DC morons post on their boards to to rationalize how to get a player they "deserve". I thought most of us were, should we say, "above that".

22. eboe

eboe Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 23, 2006
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    hey, i didnt say they wanted to trade him, i was just being realistic regarding the price/performance ratio of ching vs landycakes

23. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
    Donovan and his 3 MLS Cups are not worth it? Wish Crew had someone we could bitch about the price/performance ratio with 3 MLS Cups.

Dont confuse his national team performance in the last year with his MLS performance.

24. JayFunkeyFresh

Jul 10, 2004
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I brought up LD to say "hell why we're throwing stuff out of our ass why not just go for the league's markee player with an allocation."