Crew Fan At Spartan Stadium Aug.6

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by CaliCrewFan, Jul 13, 2005.

1. CaliCrewFan

CaliCrewFan New Member

Jul 11, 2005
    I just moved out to Monterey, CA from Columbus, Ohio a few months ago, where I had to leave my beloved Crew. I was wondering if tickets are fairly easy to come by at the stadium, eg. are there people selling them outside the stadium. What kind of attendance do the Quakes get? I've always liked SJ, I have a special place in my heart for teams who continuously get taken advantage of and taken for granted by the League. (much like the Crew) Thanks...

2. BlueMeanie

BlueMeanie New Member

Apr 1, 2002
    EastSIIIIDE
    At a Crew/Quakes game, there will be PLENTY of tix available at the box office day of game. They're not what you'd call a "big attraction" out here.

PS--we'd LOVE to be "taken advantage of" like the Crew: you know, sitting in our own soccer-specific stadium, getting multiple all-star games, MLS cups and World Cup qualifiers, not worrying about where our team might play next year... :D

Have fun at the game out here. Inside the stadium, you'll notice the Quakes supporter group "The Casbah" in the North End Zone bleachers. One section over, you'll see a single Crew fan in a Crew top and a hard hat. His name is Guy. You can sit with him.

3. CaliCrewFan

CaliCrewFan New Member

Jul 11, 2005
    Thanks for the info. Last year when the Crew were on there 18 game unbeaten streak, a reporter asked Garber what he thought of the Crew's success. He answered, "It's a bit embarassing that Columbus is our most successful team." The Crew don't get any breaks, nothing for injuries, nothing for owed allocations,ect. They dont give us any help because we have a lot of season ticket holders and a stadium, and that will never change.

4. sj_quakes_fan

sj_quakes_fan Member

May 18, 2001
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Sorry, something just struck me as quite funny.... :p

5. QuakesPaPa

QuakesPaPa Member

Feb 10, 2004
    California - Central Valley
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United Arab Emirates
    Aside from Spartain stadium being old and crappy, its a great place to watch a soccer game up close and personal much like the Crew stadium. Why don't you venture out to the next home game on the 23rd vs the Metrostars and check it out? Who knows, maybe you'll find the Quakes to be your home away from home team.

6. Bajoro

Bajoro Member+

Sep 10, 2000
    The Inland Empire
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you show up at the ClubQuake tailgate, you'll make lots of friends, even (or especially) if you wear your Crew shirt.

What brought you to Monterey? DLI by any chance?

7. CaliCrewFan

CaliCrewFan New Member

Jul 11, 2005
    Yes, DLI, my wife's in the Army. So stuck here for now. It was hard watching the Quakes win the title at Crew Stadium but I think they are an exciting team, even with the lack of big names. You guys got so screwed with that Donovan deal, or lack of deal.

8. yanks02

yanks02 New Member

Mar 19, 2002
    Houston
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Okay that makes me feel so bad for him. Does he really have to sit by himself the whole game?

9. Bajoro

Bajoro Member+

Sep 10, 2000
    The Inland Empire
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Guy seems to shower regularly, so he's only alone when he wants to be. :D

CaliCrewFan, I can certainly understand how someone from such a wonderfully beautiful place such as Ohio can feel 'stuck' in Monterey, but you if you get out and about you might find that particular part of the world has some nice things to see and do. :D :D :D

10. SoccerMan94043

SoccerMan94043 Member+

May 29, 2003
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you haven't learned to scuba dive... do so. You are next to one of the most incredible places on earth.

11. CaliCrewFan

CaliCrewFan New Member

Jul 11, 2005
    Unless you have a million dollars to spend, then being in Monterey is "stuck." Not much to do on a military paycheck! Columbus is better and offers a lot more to do, believe it or not. I guess it's all what you're used to?!

12. BlueMeanie

BlueMeanie New Member

Apr 1, 2002
    EastSIIIIDE
    I agree. It would suck ass to live in Monterey on a household income of one military paycheck (I got those checks for years, trust me, I know). It's a tourist town, so just getting a better-than-average meal in a restaurant costs SF prices. That said, if you ever DO splurge for a special occasion, go to Fresh Cream...great restaurant, awesome staff, and Greg the chef will take care of you.

We just got back from a vacation, part of which was down there. I love it as a tourist, but doubt I could live in the city of Monterey and deal with it. Face it, it's a small town with some nice features on a nice bay. But it's way touristy. Reminds me of Coronado, down on San Diego Bay, where I lived in 10th and 11th grades.

I'm sure some locals who have lived in Monterey a long time will disagree with me, because they probably know some cool things for locals to do that don't involve going broke on payday.

13. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    California has just invented this new thing you might not be used to. It is called the "ocean". I think it rocks. Get yourself a road bike and take a look.

14. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    but be careful of this 'ocean' ... there be harpies in there! and if ye swim out too far, you'll fall right off the edge of the earth!!!!

15. ggayle

ggayle Member

May 4, 1999
    Oaktown, CA, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yup, it only took one post.
    Welcome to the Bay Area CaliCrewFan.
    -fellow ex-Ohioan

16. Bajoro

Bajoro Member+

Sep 10, 2000
    The Inland Empire
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, if you're living on a single military paycheck in Monterey, one of the most affordable ways to have a big weekend is... come to Spartan Stadium at 3 p.m. for a 7 p.m. game. :)

17. CaliCrewFan

CaliCrewFan New Member

Jul 11, 2005
    I'll have to come out on the 23rd to see the Metrostars game. Do you guys have a fan shop out near the stadium? I'll be supporting the Quakes as long as they don't face Columbus.

18. ggayle

ggayle Member

May 4, 1999
    Oaktown, CA, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Come to the game 3 hours early and park in the East lot right next to the stadium. You're invited to join us at the Club Quake tailgate next to the East Gate.
    Just ask for the Crew fan, they'll know who you're talking about. ;)

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!
    Wow, I like him. He's funny.
    Seriously, there are a couple of places to get gear, but not around the stadium (only at the concession stands inside).

California Custom
    I'm blanking on the others. Some help here, please?

That sounds familiar.

See you on the 23rd.

19. CaliCrewFan

CaliCrewFan New Member

Jul 11, 2005
    Hey Specjic and Ringo, what's an ocean and rocks? No, wait, I done seen that on the big box we put in front of the couch and stare at. It has moving pictures on it! Can you believe that?! Moving pictures, I say. Next, you'll tell me they shot a man way up to the moon. It's amazing the stereotypes the West has of the Midwest.

20. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Yeah, it's true, but not to worry. Plenty of us transplants/naturalized Californians were originally from one of those fly-over places. (I grew up in Kansas City, where Ohio is considered the east coast.)

Welcome to paradise--this may be an expensive place to live, but it's also not a bad place to be poor. (Two of my favorite Monterey activities--hanging out at the bookstore downtown--Bay Books?--and playing at the Dennis the Menace Park are absolutely free, and there's no extra charge for the sunshine either.)

21. sj_quakes_fan

sj_quakes_fan Member

May 18, 2001
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You know, everyone gets stereotyped. I dealt with it up in Portland.

But sometimes the best thing a person can do is learn to laugh at themselves...and just chill a little. I really don't think anyone meant to be offensive to you because you are from the Midwest. I can understand how you feel that way. But it was a joke. Learn to laugh.

22. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Midwesterners have no sense of humor. Haven't you heard?

23. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

just having fun ....

smile. you're among friends. :)

24. Hawkeye17

Hawkeye17 DynaChick v QuakeBabe v WildKate v Chewie23

Aug 25, 1999
    Miami Vice 82
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Like everyone else said--feel free to stop by at the tailgates. We're very friendly and fun folk. :) The more the merrier!

25. DougO

DougO Member

Jan 2, 2001
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also, Spejc was right- a road bike is a fairly cheap way to give yourself something to do while looking at the ocean. If *I* lived in Monterey that's what I'd be doing...

DougO