Crew - DC [R] Doug Warren

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by prk166, Oct 4, 2003.

1. McOwen

McOwen Member

Jun 13, 2000
    Retirement Community
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    BUSH LEAGUE SOCCER????

Thank you! Aside from my hatred of all things related to marriage (;) just kidding... I think) this is the exact reason why I have been making such a stink over this. I simply do not like the choices. Our goalie either thinks so little of his chances/salary with our club that he chooses to POTENTIALLY risk his career over this game...

OR our team's front office is perhaps so incompetent that the best we could do for a third string goalie is fly one in 24 hours before the match, even though we KNEW (if they did) that Warren wasnt going to attend this match well in advance.

How long has Rimando been hurt now? And How long was this absence known for? The reasons, the last minute sub... it's just ODD.

2. Barbara

Barbara BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: I can't believe this sister's wedding junk

Dream shot my ass.

But you're right. It doesn't add up. 2 pm LA time is 4pm Columbus time (assuming it's in the central time zone, but I'm not sure about that). The ceremony lasts an hour. Now it's 5pm Columbus time. He gets to the airport and his flight leaves LA at 6pm Columbus time.

Now, the flight from LA to DC is about 5 hours, if it's non-stop. For the sake of argument let's say that it only takes 3 hours to fly to Columbs. He lands at 9pm.

I think this is one of the stupidest threads I've ever seen on the DC United board. Jesus, people. Get some perspective, please. It's over. No harm was done. Let's all move on with our sad little lives where soccer is more important than people.

3. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is the DC "braintrust," that's why.

4. Bill-DC

Bill-DC Member+

May 20, 2002
    Re: Re: I can't believe this sister's wedding junk

Ours was at 11:00 AM 9/7/02. Reception Noon to 5:00 PM

I had United fans to look out for and they had a road game that night vs the Revs :)

5. nancyb

nancyb Member

Jun 30, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: I can't believe this sister's wedding junk

But, if the wedding were in LA, at night, he could leave C'bus at 10:30, and get to LA around 1:30am. Maybe he could see the off.

6. JuanMa

JuanMa Member

Jul 22, 2003
    MD
    Again, you guys are assuming it was a wedding. I heard differently yesterday on Radio America. These guys travel with the team and stay in the same hotels, so my guess is that they know what they are talking about at least half of the time.

Apparently there is a very ill relative (I think they said father) and there is a chance Doug may not play next game either for that same reason.

I caught that on my car and the reception was not very good, so perhaps someone can confirm? It was on yesterday's 5PM show "La Mesa Redonda del Futbol" and Danilo was the guy who brought it up.

If it was something planned, like a wedding, then the whole Baumstark last minute flight thing makes no sense to me.

thoughts?

7. Barbara

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just a sick relative? Well then he should have stayed and played for his team. Let him go after the relative dies, so he can attend the funeral. But make sure that the funeral is scheduled in such a way that it doesn't interfere with any games.

8. lkeniston

lkeniston Member

Mar 20, 2003
    Richmond, Va.
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Makes more sense to me

I'd have to say starting for your team when a very good keeper is on the mend is a dream shot for a second stringer, especially with playoff implications.

Ya, these bozos get all mushy thinking about some fantasy wedding idea & then super defensive for some poor young goalkeeper missing it, pretty lame ("You know, I was married last year, so I know everything about weddings, blah, blah, blah..." can it)

Now, a family emergency makes more sense & could explain the last minute jockeying for a decent keeper. The team really must get another decent backup if they want to have a little continuity in their game plan.

9. JuanMa

JuanMa Member

Jul 22, 2003
    MD
    heartless...

I still think that either scenario was justified for taking off. But wedding does not justify flying a GK over last minute, which I would blame on DCUnited coaching/admin staff

10. McOwen

McOwen Member

Jun 13, 2000
    Retirement Community
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    HA!!! Great stuff... :rolleyes: So glad to see your morally superior to the rest of us. We get it, you think it's stupid. Unsurprisingly, others do not. I personally find the self anointed thread judges to be the best part of the entire discussion. I guess it all depends on what you think is funny. :D

(Back on topic... and also making this thread much more relevant since Warren could miss another game...)

If it is a family illness then I certainly feel bad for the guy and wish him all the best. I feel bad for bitching about weddings if it is something more serious. Family emergencies are certainly justified reasons for missing a game (or several) and a much more common reason for an absence on a team.

I was originally just basing my comments (re: weddings) on what we were hearing here (through the usual BS rumor and innuendo) and the fact that Cweedchop said:

Since he knows his stuff about the team, I figured this showed there was something to the argument.

--Anyway, assuming it's nothing too personal (i.e., we do not need to know details) I would like to know if this absence came from a wedding or a family crisis, simply because I want to know who will be starting in goal this week.

11. Lowecifer

Lowecifer Member+

Jan 11, 2000
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    What is the thread about?

A. Warren's commitment to the team.
    B. Warren's commitment to family
    C. Management's inability to deal with a personnel situation
    D. More BS bandwidth
    E. None of the above

12. McOwen

McOwen Member

Jun 13, 2000
    Retirement Community
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Easy enough its not like we are speculating about players not on the team (cough... ADU... )

Why was Warren absent? More importantly, will his absence carry over to this weeks critical game against the Revolution or affect his role on the team*?

(*meaning if it WAS a wedding and it forced the team to make a last minute addition, they didnt want to make, will this effect Warren's standing with the front office or with teammates?)

13. Lowecifer

Lowecifer Member+

Jan 11, 2000
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    That's my biggest concern.

14. Barbara

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Amazingly enough, this really isn't any of our business.

This is very much our business and I'm curious to see what happens from here.

15. Turk from Pigs Eye

Turk from Pigs Eye New Member

Jun 14, 2002
    Pigs Eye (St. Paul),
    I see that DC signed the guy who started last week. So who will start this weekend?

What does Hudson think of all this? His is the opinion that really counts for Warren.

Pardon me for trolling.

16. JoeW

JoeW New Member

Apr 19, 2001
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Re: Re: Re: I can't believe this sister's wedding junk

Not only do I pull the unfair advantage of advanced math, I also utilize time travel (er...uh...well...time zones anyway). ; )

And for what it's worth, I believe both Brad Friedel and Brian McBride both missed USMNT games (competitions, not friendlies) b/c of weddings and honeymoons.

Remember folks, we're talking about players who make a pittance in this case. The vast majority of us on this list probably make significantly more money than does Doug Warren. And Hudson has a track record of letting players miss games when he felt it mattered to the player alot (even if some of the excuses were as dubious as Diego Serna needed a break in Colombia).

17. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    I guess Warren's lucky that he doesn't have the twisted coach from ESPN's Playmakers then. "What comes First? The team. What comes second? Nothing. Not your family, not God, not barfights."

Seriously though, some players might not have the pull to get off for a wedding. Would a top division European team let a player off for a wedding? Would an NFL team? Family health emergencies, definately. Births, definately. But I wouldn't expect Tim Howard to come back for a family wedding with 4 weeks left in the season and ManU fighting for top of the table or a Champions League Cup. I'm not saying it's right, but some players in some positions may not get that day or two off.

Thx,

Jay!

18. jason1551

jason1551 Member+

Apr 9, 2003
    Columbus, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    True. I think it's on a case by case basis. I think Warren had more room to request a leave because he has only been a regular for the last two games (one being the Open Cup and he didn't even finish that one). I find it hard to fault this guy when two weeks ago no one would have cared. The fact that this happened after Rimando's injury is the only reason that anyone gets upset. Playing in two games does not a starter make. It is assumed that he is our regular starter, but who knows? I think that his play over the next few weeks are what matters, not whether he missed a single game. Think of it this way: if he had played in that game and missed whatever event that called him away, what would his mental state for the rest of the season be? Would we want a player that was feeling guilty to a point that may affect his play? I don't think so. It's done and over with. Time to move on to the next game.

19. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    A) For those of us familiar with weddings, Saturday is a standard day. It gives guests sunday to travel back home, for example. Also, it's not as easy to get the church on a sunday as a saturday.

B) A wedding is very important. It is as important in it's own ways as the birth of a child or the death of a family member. The idea that you miss one for the team is ridiculous. There aren't many jobs short of those involving war where you're expected to miss events of this nature. Sol Campbell was just out for a couple of games for Arsenal after the death of his father, for example. Was he supposed to suck it up for the team, too?

C) I have a feeling Ray Hudson has some choice words for the lack of respect you have for the boy.

20. McOwen

McOwen Member

Jun 13, 2000
    Retirement Community
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    God good... I give up. You speak for God and Ray Hudson, who could argue with that? :rolleyes:
    --Since your so "well connected" could you please tell him to play Bobby in the middle this week? (Hudson that is...)

--Back to reality, can anyone confirm or deny our signing of Baumstark? (as reported by the Turk guy)

21. Bill-DC

Bill-DC Member+

May 20, 2002
    My vote

22. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Between the journalists and team officials who post here, I don't think it should be too damn hard to find out why Warren really missed the game and if it will carry over to the NE game.

Steven Zack, you read all these threads. You're allegedly the team's GM and we know you have a BS account. Feel free to chime in and actually give us the real 411 and stop the speculation.

The more I think about it, the more I don't think Doug Warren missed the Columbus game because of a wedding. When DC played El Salvador, it was Geddes, not Warren, who replaced Nick Rimando.

At the time, I recall Ray said he excused Doug because his brother is getting married. Now, maybe Doug has more than one brother or it was his sister and they all decided to get married close together. But, I doubt it.

So, either my memory is failing me and I'm going crazy about Doug missing the El Salvador game, OR, the Warren's have as many wedding as the Moonies, OR, there is something else to this.

I'm thinking it's the third option. And, if it is, and the Latino radio reports are correct, there is a chance Warren won't be available this week if he's still dealing with family issues.

Which means the club needs to let its fan base know if our new first string GK is going to be available for a VERY important late-season road game and if he's not, who the GK will be.

The club wants us to care about them, and we do. In turn, they have to keep their end of the deal and keep us informed about what's going on with the players on this club they want, and need, us to care about.

It's how this relationship works, or is supposed to.

23. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    or, they don't want the other team to know who's gonna be in net until game time

24. Turk from Pigs Eye

Turk from Pigs Eye New Member

Jun 14, 2002
    Pigs Eye (St. Paul),
    My source is http://www.mfls.com/ , the MLS Fantasy Soccer home page there is a small bit in their news section that says:

"10/5 Clint Baumstark was signed by DC United. "

25. andylovesoccer

Sep 2, 2000
    Asheville, NC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He was at his brother's wedding according to Haydon in the Times today...