Crew - DC [R] Doug Warren

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by prk166, Oct 4, 2003.

1. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    So what's the scoop on Doug Warren's personal problem? Death in the family? Something else bad like that?

Or has he developed a coke problem? ;)

2. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Fook Off Troll...

3. sch2383

sch2383 New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    He has a sibling getting married. Or that is what we are going with in the other thread.

4. jason1551

jason1551 Member+

Apr 9, 2003
    Columbus, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    No, troll. He's attending his brother's wedding.

5. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Re: Re: Crew - DC [R] Doug Warren

She better be a hot piece of ass...

6. jason1551

jason1551 Member+

Apr 9, 2003
    Columbus, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Doesn't seem like we're missing him that much. Baumstark has held his own so far.

7. JoeW

JoeW New Member

Apr 19, 2001
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I'll bet that at the time this wedding was scheduled, Warren hadn't played 1 second for DCU and Rimando was putting on his iron-man streak.

One last thought--Warren is probably making somewhere between $28-40K. He's got conflicts all year (such as pre-season training, Olympic side, etc.). If you're going to plan 6 or 9 months ahead, there is no GOOD time for Warren's participation in this.

Now, if he'd been starting all year and this came up--yeah, that would be an issue. But given that he hadn't seen a second of MLS time until Rimando's freak injury, the coaching staff probably gave him an okay months ago.

8. Footer Phooter

Jul 23, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    I have never heard of a professional athlete missing a game because of a wedding. This could have been an absolute disaster for the team had one of those miscommunications between Baumstark and the backline turned into a goal.

9. SABuffalo786

SABuffalo786 New Member

May 18, 2002
    Buffalo, New York
    Prideaux apparently turned down a USA camp invite to attend a siblings wedding.

10. Turk from Pigs Eye

Turk from Pigs Eye New Member

Jun 14, 2002
    Pigs Eye (St. Paul),
    Chris Brown did it earlier this year for KC when they really needed him. He got traded the next week.

11. McOwen

McOwen Member

Jun 13, 2000
    Retirement Community
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    yeah i agree.. this is bull$hit. As I said in other threads for a game this big... You skip your own God damn wedding. Its only excusable if you had a solid replacement, not a guy flown in by Rongen last minute. Way to support your team Warren.

12. Blong

Blong Member+

Oct 29, 2002
    Midwest, the real one.
    I thought Hudson said in the pregame interview that it was something that just came up. Why didn't they call in Baumstark a week ago, instead of 2 days ago?

13. eltico

eltico Member

Jul 16, 2000
    It was more menacing this way.

14. jason1551

jason1551 Member+

Apr 9, 2003
    Columbus, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Geez people. Get a sense of priority here! For all the drama surrounding this, he missed a damn game. The team didn't lose, the sky didn't fall, the world didn't end. He made the difficult decision to miss an important match and go to his brother's wedding. The players sucked it up, he sucked it up, now the fans should suck it up.

15. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    Good stuff. It's about time that resurfaced.

;)

16. Dave Brother

Dave Brother New Member

Jun 10, 2001
    Alexandria
    Well, *#*#*#*# happens. The club NEEDS him NOW.

17. jason1551

jason1551 Member+

Apr 9, 2003
    Columbus, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Did we? Our team played well, the defense held up, and we know that we are capable of playing without Warren. That's a whole lotta positives in my book.

18. McOwen

McOwen Member

Jun 13, 2000
    Retirement Community
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    We didnt know we were capable of playing without Warren. That's the point. Geddes is not ready. The team knew this, and as a keeper Warren knew this. I understand that it IS "just a game" but really that ONLY applies to us as fans. For these guys it's a game, a livelihood, a career, a team of friends needing you, and most importantly a franchise in DIRE need of success. That's a lot of stuff to shrug off for a wedding. Especially because it is an emergency for this team (not having a 3rd keeper ready after Rimando.) The fact that Warren is a young player and trying to establsih himself behind a star quality player only highlights why he should have been here. --This is a classic Wally Pip example. He had a headache... Lou Gehrig stepped up and the rest is history.

How many NFL, NBA, OR MLB players have you seen miss a game over a non emergency family meeting? On top of that who the hell schedules the wedding for a SATURDAY if you know your brother is a professional soccer player and you want him to be there... We do play a pretty steady schedule.

19. GoDC

GoDC Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Hamilton, VA
    I think Warren made the right decision and it was probably made long ago. Ray just likes to keep stuff like that quiet and away from the other team. We got the tie but too many near mishaps between Clint and the defense and Warren will be back in there on the 11th.

20. Cweedchop

Cweedchop Member+

Mar 6, 2000
    Ellicott City, Md
    I'm sorry but this statement is laughable on it's face..

You do realize of course the day in question is about Warren's sister and not Doug himself?

Yeah, good idea, rule out all future Saturday's from April thru mid November because a back-up goalkeeper on a team with a first string goalie who was 50 minutes away from setting the all-time MLS consecutive minutes playing streak might get into a game..

I tell ya, nothing better than an outdoor wedding in the middle of December or January..

I'm glad you hold United's interest above Doug Warren's sisters most important day of her life..

Look, the bottom line here is that United could have told Warren you need to stay, but they didn't and kudos to them for allowing players to live normal lives..

I don't have a sister but if I was a pro player and my brother was getting married, the decision is a rather simple one...

There will always be more opportunities to start in goal, there ain't many times your sister is getting married, unless she's a Las Vegas lounge singer of course.. :p

dadman repped this.
  21. TCompton

TCompton Member

Oct 21, 2002
    Alexandria
    Where did we hear that Doug was going to a wedding? Did someone bring it up at the Golf match or was it said somewhere in the press?

Here's the way I see it... which is a pretty much pointless opinion... but then again, given the results, so is this thread.

(I'm going to continue with the Wedding senerio, but I'm still unclear on how we know this for sure, especially when someone is said it was Doug's brother and another said it was his sister.)

Unless you are in the military or some other profession where another person's life is at stake, you should put your family affairs over that of your own profession. The idea that only in cases of emergancy can a player miss a team commitment leaves that player in the position to only be with loved ones during the bad times and not the good times (when there is a conflict). That could leave to a very negative association of the family. Family celebrations should really be had by all, so that everyone shares the good moments.

Now this is idea is probably fresh in Ray Hudson's mind, since he attend the funeral of a loved one just last week. If anyone has every been to a funeral of someone where you realize that you wish you would have spent more time with that person, then you might agree that it was good that Doug went to the wedding of his sibling. The future is very uncertain and in opportunities to celebrate family, a person should take that opportunity.

I'm sure the coaching staff knew about this commitment that Doug had. And I'm pretty confident that Doug didn't "want" to miss this game, but a commitment is a commitment. He can always be traded away from DC, but he's stuck with his family forever.

I'm personally glad to see that Doug has his priorities in order and I'm glad that DC United respects his decision to attend to family matters. It is admirable to put your team ahead of yourself, but it is respectable to stand by your family first.

Doug was gone, I doubt he would have stopped C'bus' goal, since that was the defense's fault. We didn't lose, and we move on.

Everyone made a good decision on this call.

22. MeridianFC

MeridianFC Member

Jul 26, 1999
    Washington, DC USA
    To whoever said that they've never heard of an athlete missing a game because of a wedding, I've noted it on a least half a dozen occassions. I've also known them to miss games for births, graduations, and other things that are important.

Congrats Doug's brother (and new sister in law).

23. McOwen

McOwen Member

Jun 13, 2000
    Retirement Community
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Hey this is all a bunch of crap really i admit... (We won and after all sadly it is just MLS... :rolleyes: ) but still, I have followed sports most of my adult life and I have honestly never heard of a player missing a key game (in which that player was desperately needed... by evidence of the 11th hour replacement) for a wedding other then their OWN.

--Sure, children being born, family illness, DEATH, funerals, etc. YES but not something that can be scheduled around (like a wedding). The debate between my values or his is not relavent. We are not professional athletes, we are not even first rate analysts.

Entirely not wanting to turn this into a pissing contest, can anyone name or cite the situation of a key player missing a game for a wedding? (hey i will eat crow gladly and send an apology! :) Seriously. I am curious.

Of course, this is not the same thing as a 3rd string linebacker missing a game either. This would be more comprable to a starting quarterback.

If Gus Ferrotte missed this weeks Viking's game (for non football people he is the 2nd string now starter due to injury) for a wedding that was previously planned... I am sure it would be front page sports news. Its f-ing sad of course... but it is also the norm for a country were sports are huge and more importantly for this argument a HUGE BUSINESS. This really isnt an ethical question. I am saying is there really precedent for this?

24. ursula

ursula Member

Feb 21, 1999
    Republic of Cascadia
    Like Meridian I have seen over the years players missing games because of weddings, and not just their own weedings either. Unfortunately I don't remember well enough to cite dates. But then again, why should I? If I could do that I would say that I would really need to get a life beyond soccer/sports.

25. McOwen

McOwen Member

Jun 13, 2000
    Retirement Community
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Oh yeah as if anyone on here has a life :D

As to why should you?
    --I would be able to remember something as UNUSUAL as this if it had happened with either the Orioles or Redskins and I am not a 30 year old virgin that follows NASCAR every weekend. Having a decent memory for your team doesnt make you a geek or a unethical jerk, it just means your a fan. (thats short for FANATIC)

You personally don't have to answer anything. It is just a question and I am still curious if anyone can recall a situation like Warren's. Thanks.