Crew-DC Postgame[R]

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by dred, Oct 19, 2003.

1. Sneever Flion

Sneever Flion New Member

Oct 29, 2002
    Detroit, MI
    These are a couple of gems from here.

And Bill, I ravaged my woman after this game. She so had it coming.

2. kaiser kraut

kaiser kraut New Member

Jun 26, 2001
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jesus, this is an amazing result. I'd have to look it up, but I'm pretty certain this is the first overtime game that we've won all year. I wonder how long its been since we've done that? I'm just pissed that I didn't get to watch this game. My cable is so lame right now that I don't even get ESPN or ESPN2.

Hang, did you by chance tape this glorious afternoon? Get back to me once you sober up.

Oh, and wasn't there a wager going on as to whether or not McBride would get 10 goals this season? Who was that between. Gut feeling is that Zak so no he couldn't and Hang said yeah he could. Somebody remember the details?

3. Flyer Fan

Flyer Fan Member+

Apr 18, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    I've never been a big Ray Hudson fan, so seeing the dejected look on his face just minutes after jumping up to celebrate with the crowd...ahh, good times.

Williams - four matches, four cautions. I think that's the first consistent Crew player this season.

I think our last MLS OT win was last year at New England when Buddle scored in stoppage time of OT.

4. CrewToon

CrewToon Member

Jun 13, 1999
    Greenbrier Farm
    :confused:

5. Raoul

Raoul New Member

Sep 19, 1999
    Downtown Dublin
    Re: Hello all

Oh yeah we have a downtown. We're a massive City...

6. CrewToon

CrewToon Member

Jun 13, 1999
    Greenbrier Farm
    The above is laughable. The only one who really showed something was McBride. Jeffy was still Jeffy (it figures he would hit the post on a wide-open net), Williams is a waste and it's time for Clark to retire. Same old substitutions, but somehow they worked this time (it helped that McBride was ill during the week).

Fact remains that Crew got a make-up from this official, who makes Kevin Stott look good. The PK on West's crash and burn was technically correct but rarely called. Even the official wasn't sure, and he had to ask the lineman.

And so what happens? Crew has the lead in 90th minute, only for DC to equal in injury time. How about that, another goal allowed after the 80th minute.

The only thing that changed was the Crew won in OT.

If the club makes the playoffs, then it will give Ned the wiggle room he needs to keep the current on-field staff. A win would be nice next week, and I wouldn't be surprised if DC falters, but would it be worth knowing that us supporters would be in store for a 9th season of mediocrity?

7. Raoul

Raoul New Member

Sep 19, 1999
    Downtown Dublin
    BUT, Toon, for the FIRST time we brought in subs early enough to affect the outcome. Previously they have had the role of being additional scapegoats for the last 3mins. However, I'm not saying this is a trend or anything like that - yet.

8. Flyer Fan

Flyer Fan Member+

Apr 18, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    Do you honestly believe that? Are you saying that Brian West added nothing? And Buddle and Cunningham, though not consistent, did cause a lot of problems for D.C., especially by simply beating them with speed.

I think that attempt was a lot more difficult than you're making it out to be; it wasn't a wide open net. Cunningham had to head the ball far post and he did; it wasn't a simple little knock-in.

These substitutions were nowhere near the subs in the past. Andrulis actually got aggressive with his subs, taking out a defender (Williams, thanfully) for an attacker in McBride. He removed Maisonneuve for a more offensive-minded player in Walsh. And finally he got in some fresh legs in the form of Chacon. Three subs, three offensive-minded players. Sure, it helps when you win, but those were good subs.

Man...

9. Flyer Fan

Flyer Fan Member+

Apr 18, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    Petke whines...

Poor little Mikey...

10. CrewToon

CrewToon Member

Jun 13, 1999
    Greenbrier Farm
    Sorry FF,

but I am still on a roll after watching the Cubs choke job and Red Sox manager Grady Little choosing the glue that kept his butt on the bench during Game 7.

You know it's a strange week when a Bengals victory serves as the bright spot.

11. CrewToon

CrewToon Member

Jun 13, 1999
    Greenbrier Farm
    Yes I do. OK, West did draw the PK. But without it, DC somehow would have scored in injury time, and it would have been same ol' Crew (have numerous chances to score and create problems for other team's defense but not get the job done).

I really fear that Ned will keep the status quo for next season, regardless of this coming weekend. I don't want another season of mediocrity. Even the idiot Ty Keough pointed out the Crew has an abundance of talent. Then Rob Stone inferred the Open Cup win and defeat of San Jose in last year's playoffs was a fluke.

No more mediocrity. The Crew have a chance to conduct its first true search for on-field management since it hired Timo.

12. Flyer Fan

Flyer Fan Member+

Apr 18, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    It would have been nice to watch it, too; I'm sick of getting Browns games when there's a conflict.

13. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That guy makes Stott look like Pierluigi Collina.

I'm sorely tempted to make some comment how he's lousy but that MLS wants him to succeed because he's black, but all hell would break loose. So hand me that bottle of OC and I'll move on.

The announcers said this too, and I completely disagree.

What is usually allowed is the collision between the keeper and the striker. The keeper is usually given the benefit of the doubt.

In that particular case, look at the film again: Warren never touches the ball, and in fact seems to not be trying very hard to do so.

What he does do, as the ball rolls under his fingers, is keep running (at least two, maybe three more steps), lowers his shoulder and simply blasts West in an blatent attempt to keep him from following the ball.

It was not just an aggressive crash after going for the ball. It was a deliberate body tackle, and it's a PK every time.

As for the conversation with the AR, the center had already blown his whistle. Therefore a foul HAD been called and regardless of what the AR said he couldn't take it back. There was no other restart available to him.

I think the discussion was about whether to give Warren a card for DOGSO. I was wondering the same thing. If West had a chance to get to the ball again but Warren prevented it via his foul, then Warren gets a card.

So I believe the discussion was over whether the AR felt West had a chance at the ball. The AR had the perfect angle on it, while the Center, trailing the play, really didn't have a good basis to judge.

14. CrewToon

CrewToon Member

Jun 13, 1999
    Greenbrier Farm
    I'll take your word on this one, Bill.

Perhaps West saw an on-coming crash and perhaps that's the reason he had kicked the ball before the collision.

15. TheImposter

TheImposter Member

Jun 15, 2002
    Centerville, OH
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I really can't see this. Let's be realistic -- if we do get into the playoffs, I don't think anybody really pictures that we're going to make that magic run to MLS Cup that Smith keeps talking about. I'd love to see it, but the odds are against it. More likely we crash out in the first round. So our accomplishment then is to have taken one of the most talented teams in the league, barely managed to make the playoffs in a league which plays a seven month season to eliminate 2 teams, and then disappear. That's not even mediocre, it's bad. I think almost no matter what happens (that magic run excepted) we see major changes next year.

16. greatscott

greatscott Member+

Dec 21, 2002
    Richmond
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    dont take this as trolling alright:

congratulations on your win today. I am not going to give you bullsh!t about bad reffing (although, i do think it was bad, but then again thats my job), your guys won the match last night. and right now, DC doesnt deserve to get into the playoffs. good luck. cheers.

17. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    (Addendum to my previous ruling: I said that, after the whistle was blown the only available restart was the PK. Rereading it, I realized that there was one aternate restart available - a DFK for DC, which would have meant he was calling Cunningham for the foul.)

With regard to "changes" before next season, I believe it would take winning the Cup to save Greg's job. This season has been a morass, and winning a couple of games isn't going to change that.

Plus, as I've pointed out, Smith has a marketing problem. Even if he thinks that Greg is God's gift to soccer, he will have a tough time keeping him and then turning around to his season ticket base and asking for a grand or two once again.

I believe Smith needs a new coach in order to sell the team to an increasingly skeptical audience.

And it is glaringly obvious, win or lose, that some changes in personnel are badly needed. We still need a left side defender. We still need somebody reliable on the left midfield. We'll probably need a replacement for either Buddle or Cunny.

And all that before we even start talking about replacing Mais, Clarkie, et al.

So I don't believe we need to have mixed emotions about the Crew winning out. The odds are pretty long that we won't, and if we do then fine, Gerg can have another one year contract. Small price to pay for the celebration of a lifetime.

18. Zak

Zak Member

Feb 18, 2002
    Massive Club
    Not sure if anyone has mentioned this, Williams was an absolute disgrace yesterday. Being outpace by the likes of Hristo and Martins is absolutely diabolical. He was easily the worst player on the field yesterday. And not suprisingly recieved his fourth yellow card on the spin. He's rubbish.

19. 3stripe

3stripe Member

Indy Eleven
    Oct 14, 2001
    Brickyard Battalion
    i dont have time to go back and see what's been said already, but here are my thoughts:

1. brian mcbride has secured his position as my favorite american. ever.

2. brian west - i am sorry for all those horrible things i was saying about you earlier in the season. you have proven that you deserve to be on this team. thank you for playing your heart out - you have earned top honors these past few weeks.

3. why the fvck isnt akwari starting over williams? why isn't mccarty starting over williams? WILLIAMS IS A PIECE OF *#*#*#*# PLAYER. HE DOESNT DESERVE TO SEE THE FIELD. HE WAS OUTRUN BY HRISTO, FVCKING HELL!

4. i still want cunningham gone at the end of this season. he was worthless yesterday. sure, he ran, he dribbled, he fell down, he couldnt make a good pass to save his life. goodbye.

5. i like our keeper. a lot.

6. martino played one of his better games of the season....and he's subbed out. good choice greg. why not let martino AND walsh play middle? is that too much to ask?

7. oughton actually impressed me once or twice this game. i wouldnt mind having him on the bench next year.

8. rob stone is a jackass - learn the rules before you call a game.

9. hey Ty --- yep, martino is this year's rookie of the year!! another jackass.

10. hristo should go away. far, far away.

20. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I think I share this feeling...a warm feeling, yet it's hard to explain.

21. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Crew Pens, I celbrated last night like it was a championship win, and still feel the same way this morning. I know it's not, but just thinking about the game and reading this thread brings back how I felt when BMB's winner went in yesterday. I literally ollapsed to the floor and was yelling "FCUKIN YES!!!" over and over again so loud my neighbor who lived downstairs came up to check on me.

Kaiser, yeah I have it on tape.

I know some people are on Cunny, I don't think he was MOM by any strach but he had his moments. It was his first start in two months for fcuks sake.

Williams needs to go. Zak said it. Gettin outpaced by Hristo and Martins is unnacceptable. And frankly we just don't have the horses to cover his mistakes.

How long will it take some to complte their 180 on Brian West, the man has given his all the past few months and may have been our best player period over that time.

Man I am still glowng.

22. Zak

Zak Member

Feb 18, 2002
    Massive Club
    I don't want to slag off publicly at a player at a match, but I'm strongly tempted to make a sign that says "four yellows in four games, it's not good enough."

23. Flyer Fan

Flyer Fan Member+

Apr 18, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    Tough break, hang.

24. barberm

barberm New Member

Oct 20, 2003
    Washington DC
    Crew/DC United

As as an avid DC United fan, yesterday really hurt! However, I must give credit to the Crew, who came out ready to play. Good luck to you.

25. kaiser kraut

kaiser kraut New Member

Jun 26, 2001
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are you kidding me? The dolt will see that and he'll start going for the red within the first 5 minutes. Afterall, he'd probably think you want to see even more cards.

I think we should trade him to an A-league side.