Crew-DC Postgame[R]

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by dred, Oct 19, 2003.

1. harttbeat

harttbeat Member

Dec 29, 1998
    New York
    i think they go by tie breakers which C-bus will win over DC.

2. diablodelsol

diablodelsol Member+

Jan 10, 2001
    New Jersey
    Diego Walsh's stock just skyrocket in my book for that foul on Kovalenko. Great stuff. I'd have given him the key to the city had he snapped his leg in half

3. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew

That was me. Good god, anyone who wants a helluva celebration join me and 3stripe in Indy. *#*#*#*# Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're responding here to a Metros fan. They think 2 plus 2 equals a bushel of potatoes.

No question. As many guys have noted, he has been playing better and better as the season went down the toilet.

And he was still going strong after 100 minutes. What a performance.

You tend to discount it when the reporters talk about this guy or that having some personal problems that messed them up on the field. You figure either "Hey, everybody has their cross to bear" or "Yeah right - just an excuse".

But in West's case, it would appear to have been true.

As for Williams, there's nothing to say. He's been nothing, he's shown nothing and he's worth nothing. So long, mate.

5. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Love to, but I'm way too drunk to drive.

6. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Days like this are when I thank god my woman is a Crew fan. God bless her.

7. myshap

myshap Member

Jun 19, 2002
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Preach it brother Archer, preach it. Too bad Akawri seems to be stuck in Andurils' #%@% list like Leitch found himself when he hit his wall late in the season.

I wouldn't call this the best game I've ever seen. No the ref was so bad it ruined most of the play. It was a good result for the Crew and lets leave it at that.

8. giggs88

giggs88 Member

May 11, 2003
    Virginia
    thats the best game of soccer i have seen in the usa. :).(ihavent seen a lot) good job columbus.

9. 352gialloblu

352gialloblu New Member

Jun 16, 2003
    England
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Yeah, but you won, mate.

But I don't think it was a particularly good game for the viewer. Exciting, but ug-ly. And the ref sucked. Great finale, but the rest of the game was crap.

10. diablodelsol

diablodelsol Member+

Jan 10, 2001
    New Jersey
    I'd say. Awful play, awful refereeing, great result

11. Eggy

Eggy New Member

May 28, 1999
    CBUS
    I was already to be put out of my misery but watching those dumb asses in the stands hop around like morons I really wanted that goal. And it couldn't have been scored by a better guy.

12. 352gialloblu

352gialloblu New Member

Jun 16, 2003
    England
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    You need to watch more games, mate. Exciting, yes. Good game, no. Next week will be even better...;)

13. The Truth Commission

Mar 29, 2000
    Parts Unknown
    Re: I WANT APC

That's too bad, because had he performed better, he'd win 2003 Rookie of the Year hands-down, according to Ty.

Now...KC will guarantee themselves 2nd place with a WIN against DC next Saturday. If they tie, they get third once Colorado beats Dallas.

C'mon Hunt Family...we are a massive family.

------------------------------
    COLUMBUS IS A MASSIVE CLUB

14. Eggy

Eggy New Member

May 28, 1999
    CBUS
    Time for a drive-by-trolling

[​IMG]

15. Grouchy

Grouchy Member+

Evil
    Apr 18, 1999
    Canal Winchester
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think my heart just climbed back into my chest and started beating again.

That God we won.

Jeezus what crypt did they raise that ref from? I fairly certain I saw him on Night of the Living Dead or something. Just freaking horrible. How anybody on the DC or Crew coaching staff still has hair is beyond me...

My MOTM would have to be West. Played 110% the entire match, some of it with a bruised spleen and pancreas.

As for this being a great match; this had to be the most awful match I've seen. Yeah, three stunners and we won but can anybody honestly look at that game and see either team deserving to be in the playoffs? (only to be broomed by the F'ar)...

I'm just hella glad our season didn't end on a pair of DC dives/penalty kicks. I might be able to injest solid food for another week at least....

16. DGA57

DGA57 Member

Jun 17, 2002
    Dublin, OH
    I agree with most fo what's been said on this thread. Summarizing:

Crappy flow, crappy ref, a game to scream good and bad things all game long. Too many ups and downs.

Why the f#% do the refs continue to buy this crap that Stoichkov, Serna, Ruiz and some others continue to sell? This one didn't even LOOK like a PK; so why do we continue to suffer like that?

West made my list about a month ago after I followed Hang's suggestion and started to give him the benefit of doubt. One of the few showing heart out there today.

Maiz, Clark and Williams need to go. Thank God Denton is out of the next match. Start APC the next match. I'm with Raoul on that - Grandpa has a few good moments in him - and the vision of the flow that Kmart seems to have lost. He's still gone next year but he may be extending his stay by a few more games here with a good result on Sunday.

KC will beat DC!

BMB got to 10 goals - finally!

Busch needs to grow 3 inches.

What a rocket of shot by Buddle early on! And the header by Jeff - superb. But Jeff needed to lay into the drop that BMB left him late in the match; top of the box, it doesn't get better than that.

Chicago will probably take us out on a late goal, even if they show up with their C team. This was all planned to make us suffer through another week of hope and faith only to have the rug pulled from underneath us BUT we made DC suffer one more week.

17. DGA57

DGA57 Member

Jun 17, 2002
    Dublin, OH
    Putting it that way, maybe Sh!tcago will let us win so that they can beat us in the playoffs. Why does life have to be so cruel for us Crew fans?

18. Roehl Sybing

Roehl Sybing Guest

Great finish, guys. Congratulations!

19. Sneever Flion

Sneever Flion New Member

Oct 29, 2002
    Detroit, MI
    I'll be honest and say the I fell asleep for portions of the second half. However, my ass woke up quick with that PK call. I was initially miffed when McBride stepped forward to take it. I thought it should have been Buddle.

Having said that, this is exactly what I have been wanting to see out of McBride all damn season. If he wants to be the man, then he has to be the man...if you know what I mean.

But I couldn't help but think that we were going to give up another and lo and behold, Petke rears our ugly head. And for some strange reason I forgot about over time and walked away...but I didn't change the channel.

I come back to the tube about a minute in to see game on and then Eskadarian gets two yellow cards. WTF? Oh well, that's par for the course in this game.

But I never got the sense that we would actually win. But now I realize the plan.

We'll squeek into the playoffs only to get trounced by the Fire.

20. Flyer Fan

Flyer Fan Member+

Apr 18, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    DC might put us out of our misery next week by taking a point off Kansas City...or we might screw ourselves if given the opportunity on Sunday...but if you follow the Crew, and you don't get excited by today's result, then seriously go f$^@ yourself and I hope you eat some undercooked chicken tonight. Don't spew any crap about "hoping" your team would lose to ensure Andrulis' departure and/or significant changes. This team, which has shown almost no heart collectively for so long, sacked up and won in overtime at a place where the wins obviously a few and far between.

This win might mean nothing next Saturday night, but I honestly believe it's one of the most impressive wins in team history given the circumstances. Sure, it wasn't pretty, but they "got the result."

As an aside, Wynalda can be an arrogant ass but I thought he was hilarious continually ripping Stoitchkov's dive, positioning and whatever else. It was entertaining.

21. Nadeaufan17

Nadeaufan17 New Member

Jul 6, 2003
    I will take an ugly win like this over a "world class goal" loss any day.

22. Raoul

Raoul New Member

Sep 19, 1999
    Downtown Dublin
    Yep, the first 80 were UUUUUGGGGGlllly. The rest was sublime though.

23. DGA57

DGA57 Member

Jun 17, 2002
    Dublin, OH
    FF, I don't think any Crew fan would actually, truly root for the other team or hope for a Crew loss. Like you said, we're used to reality. Reality like Petke scoring in the 6th minute of stoppage time. Reality like Stoitchkov getting another PK gifted to DC. And then, once in a blue moon, we get to see a miracle. A perfect pass, a perfect finish, and we live to see another day.

The odds have improved. I don't remember who calculated them the other day but we're at 11% probability for making the playoffs. And in reality, they will be higher as KC needs a win to clinch home-field advantage over Colorado AND Sh!tcago doesn't care about the next game. Frankly, they'd probably prefer to rest some starters, minimize injuries and still face us in the first round. I like our odds better now but then the pessimist in me, the Crew fan, always wonders what else will go wrong next weekend.

24. Flyer Fan

Flyer Fan Member+

Apr 18, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    I don't know if people really would hope for their team to lose, but there was a lot of that crap being posted a while ago saying that continued winning might not allow for the "necessary changes" to be made. All I'm saying, really, is that although we might get kicked in the nuts next weekend there's no need to not get excited about this win. Even the pessimist needs a break every once in a while.

25. Flyer Fan

Flyer Fan Member+

Apr 18, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    By the way, Eskandarian might be one of the biggest morons I've ever seen. First he picks up a yellow for an intentional hand ball in Columbus' defensive half and then gets called for a late challenge like 75 yards away less than a minute later. Nice work.