Post-match: Crew @ Cincinnati - 2023 MLS Cup Playoffs: Conference Final - 12/2/23 6:00 PM

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by chr1st, Nov 27, 2023.

Tags:
?

What will be the result of the Crew's 12/2/23 match vs Cincinnati?

Poll closed Dec 2, 2023.
  1. Win by two or more goals in regulation

23.5%
  2. Win by one goal in regulation

43.1%
  3. Win in extra time

13.7%
  4. Win by PKs

2.0%
  5. Lose by PKs

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Lose in extra time

2.0%
  7. Lose by one goal in regulation

3.9%
  8. Lose by two or more goals in regulation

5.9%
  9. See results

5.9%
  1. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I get that comparatively speaking the Crew is sort of small potatoes compared to the Browns

But I bet Jimmy enjoys owning the Crew a whole lot more.

So he can be forgiven for providing California champagne.

This time.

TRUJDUB21 and hangthadj repped this.
  2. coachchris

coachchris Member

Feb 19, 2007
    Galloway, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I liked the Play by play saying “l’ve been standing for sixty minutes, l have to go to the restroom, Ican’t sit down, and I can’t stop watching, for fear I’ll miss something”. They were not wrong, it was one hell of an ending. And when the Food Lion defender was “juggling”, I think he was just gassed, and couldn’t get control of the ball. They all looked gassed, and a little deflated.

TKyle, TRUJDUB21, Pauncho and 2 others repped this.
  3. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Alright, so now that I’ve had some sleep after the drive home and a night full of screaming in the cold… what a game!!

After Cincy’s third goal was disallowed, I turned to my wife and said I’m leaving if they get a third. About five minutes later we got our first and it was all on.

The real question is, do we continue with the same lineup for LAFC, or do we make the switch and start Ramierez over Matan? If we do that, we have no real striker on the bench to change the game (sorry JRR). So I'm leaning towards stay the course.

Question of Farsi vs Gressel as well. Easily Farsi worst game in the playoffs. Gressel’s benching seems to have motivated him, tough call. Again, I might lean stay the same, but just make an early sub if needed like last night.

Tobias C, TKyle, hardhead and 2 others repped this.
  4. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Some of the East Coast Elite Group Text were cursing Nancy for leaving on Rossi. Another member of the thread in the 85th minute(!!!!!) threw in the towel and complained, "I assume Cincy fans are nuanced enough to understand the refs gifted them the game winning goal on a set piece."

Never count this team out. Believe that Rossi will come good. His history and pedigree have shown he can do it time and time again. Trust in Nancy. If he doesn't have your trust by now, I wonder what team you've been watching all season.

It's a beautiful thing.

Tobias C, foozer, hardhead and 8 others repped this.
  5. coachchris

coachchris Member

Feb 19, 2007
    Galloway, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We should enjoy Nancy while we have him, I expect somebody bigger will be calling, when the time is right.

6. LastOfEleven

LastOfEleven Member

May 1, 2007
    Cincy, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This worries me. Our game is to dominate possession to limit opposing team’s chances. Houston dominated possession from the first whistle but didn’t even score 1 goal. LAFC was content to counter, and did it very well.

I need to watch the WCF replay to set an appropriate anxiety level for the final.

TKyle and zman31 repped this.
  7. coachchris

coachchris Member

Feb 19, 2007
    Galloway, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wouldn’t count on that, they ‘deserved’ to win. Listening to some of them losing their minds over the effects mics at the end was like the music of the spheres.

TrueCrew and russ repped this.
  8. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Houston only scored 51 goals during the regular season. We scored 67. That gives me some confidence. I see what you’re saying. Still, giving up 60+% of possession to the best attacking team in MLS isn’t without its risks.

eboe, TrueCrew, Ch(Elsey) and 1 other person repped this.
  9. coachchris

coachchris Member

Feb 19, 2007
    Galloway, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nancy prefers to hold possession in the other teams’ half. Possession plus sixty yards is a much better way to play that game than kicking it around in your own defensive end.

TrueCrew and zman31 repped this.
  10. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Zero awareness, but I assume, too, they were just gassed. I mean, Cucho ran directly in front of both of those players, and they didn’t respond. Pretty shocking.

The energy level disparity between these two teams as the match went on was remarkable.

Tobias C, TKyle, hardhead and 5 others repped this.
  11. 96er

96er Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Columbus
    I’m wondering if anyone else had the same experience watching the third goal. It goes in, we see Ramirez celebrating, of course everyone is going crazy that I’m watching with so we can’t hear the announcers call. But then in the background, we see Amundsen standing there completely still with his hands on his head and his mouth open. Offsides. He must’ve seen the flag. It’s coming back. No no no no no.

As it turns out, Amundsens celebrations were born of exhaustion. He couldn’t even bear to run to the corner to celebrate with his teammates. What an incredible team. What a season. What a coach, the very best in the league regardless of what happens Saturday.

12. 96er

96er Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Columbus
    I agree with most of this-except I heard the Cangelosi and Higginbotham announcing tandem both say almost the exact same thing during game 3 against Atlanta: What an absolute honor it is to call this game, this is unbelievable soccer we are witnessing, I have to pinch myself and on and on.

Yet more evidence as to how special this team and coach is.

TrueCrew repped this.
  13. Crew96Fan

Crew96Fan Member+

Jul 27, 2013
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I had the same reaction as Amundsen - complete disbelief

russ, TrueCrew, CybrSlydr and 1 other person repped this.
  14. 110toyourleft

110toyourleft Member+

Jan 27, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Cincy May never recover from this for a long time. One of the most remarkable playoff games ever, on their field, against a rival, with all the awards they won in the reg season, up 2 goals late.

Especially in extra time, Cincy just was nowhere to be found. Injured played pathetically limping around.

Truly the harder they fall to the Nth degree.

WhiteHartShame, TrueCrew, chr1st and 2 others repped this.
  15. speedye1

speedye1 Member+

Dec 31, 2002
    Just watched the highlights and hearing the crowd cheers after goals two and three are memories to not forget. In the stadium we all were just going crazy yelling. To know it was enough to pickup on TV is fantastic. My mind is looking toward Saturday. It will be an epic march to the match like we haven't seen before as we pass under the railroad towards a Cup. Cannot wait, is it Saturday yet?

16. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Recall, too, that moments earlier Amundsen had just made that leaping run into the box trying to get his head on a cross. The team didn’t stop running until the final whistle. Still, they must have been exhausted. Moriera basically collapsed on the pitch when the match ended.

17. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    YES. I saw this too. Immediately it reminded me of Roma's Champions League comeback vs Barcelona a few years back. When Manolas put in the header he's going nuts, the entire team is going nuts, except for Roma's right back Alessandro Florenzi who was in a near identical state to Amundsen. Standing on the edge of the 18, hands on his head, mouth agape in disbelief. It brought such a huge smile to my face.

96er and TrueCrew repped this.
  18. coachchris

coachchris Member

Feb 19, 2007
    Galloway, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    upload_2023-12-3_8-53-29.jpeg
    My son found this, somewhere.

DRWCrew, hardhead, russ and 2 others repped this.
  19. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Maybe it's cause I'm older now, or because the Cincinnati fans I know are good people, but I'm so much less focused on the Cincinnati fans than our club. Cincy had a great season. They should be proud. I personally think winning the Supporters Shield is more difficult than winning MLS Cup, but obviously the league and 99.99% of fans value the MLS Cup more. This will definitely sting for Cincinnati for a while, but I think when they look back on the season they will still remember it fondly. I remember 2015 very fondly despite shitting the bed at home in MLS Cup.

But, my larger point in the previous post is that if you are spending too much time focused on opposing fans, or refs, or whatever, you are gonna miss something special. It's maybe harder than winning the Shield, or the Cup itself, to come from 2-0 down in the 75th minute, on the road vs the top seed in a Conference Final, and these guys just ********in did it.

They've earned and deserve our full focus.

20. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does anyone have a shot of our traveling support in the stands at Cincy? Showing multiple sections?

stanger repped this.
  21. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Your quality of posts are missed around here. Well said.

Tobias C, TrueCrew and Ball Kicker repped this.
  22. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    @KHT_Crew had a spectacular animated gif depicting that gaffe. It was hilarious and brilliant.

110toyourleft repped this.
  23. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I haven't read through all the posts here, and I'm sure someone has mentioned it. But, man how great has Darlington Nagbe been?

Of everyone on the team, I am most excited for him at the moment. He won a Cup in 2020, but didn't get to play the match. He's worked through some brutal seasons with Porter. And he earned the full trust of a new manager and has been phenomenal.

Now, fingers crossed, he has the opportunity to captain his home club, at home, in front of a sold out house for MLS Cup.

I can't wait to watch him next Saturday.

Tobias C, foozer, hardhead and 4 others repped this.
  24. Ball Kicker

Ball Kicker Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Aug 11, 2022
    keep Farsi in as a starter, bouanga is so dangerous and I would rather have the better defender out there providing support. Same with Ramirez on the bench, but god forbid the crew go down 1 or 2 before half, Nancy would need to put them both on for the second half immediately.

TKyle, hardhead and TrueCrew repped this.
  25. Ball Kicker

Ball Kicker Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Aug 11, 2022
    The Ramirez for Morris sub was puzzling when it happened, but my goodness was it the perfect sub, the crew didn’t need the defensive work of morris since FCC were parking the bus in the second half, Nancy recognized that, and kept all of his attackers on the field, while adding additional pressure with the Gressel and Ramirez subs. coaching masterclass.

Tobias C, TKyle, hardhead and 6 others repped this.