Crew - Chicago pregame

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by Flyer Fan, Oct 19, 2003.

1. Flyer Fan

Flyer Fan Member+

Apr 18, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    Even though it might not matter come Sunday, if there's any money left in the Crew's marketing budget they better blow through it this week. The stakes, obviously, could be pretty huge for this match and I'd hate to see a paltry crowd roll out. The front office better get the word out and quick!

2. CrewToon

CrewToon Member

Jun 13, 1999
    Greenbrier Farm
    The club's marketing hasn't been that noticeable this season.

3. UncleSam527

UncleSam527 Member

Jan 14, 2002
    Massive clubs don't need to market. Their massiveness speaks for themselves.

4. Grouchy

Grouchy Member+

Evil
    Apr 18, 1999
    Canal Winchester
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The promo I heard on the radio this morning was "Boo with the Crew - Trick o' Treat"...

Hmm...

Better than boo at the Crew, I guess.

5. CrewToon

CrewToon Member

Jun 13, 1999
    Greenbrier Farm
    The promotion appears to be the work of true geniuses.

6. Grouchy

Grouchy Member+

Evil
    Apr 18, 1999
    Canal Winchester
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, pure genius...

Can't wait to see Andrulis waddle out dressed as a poor, ratty-clothed orphan holding a bag with the words "trick or treat" crossed out and "contract extensions" written in place.

Or, Andrulis dressed as a goat would show some character.

Jim Smith dresses as a judge and/or executioner.

Williams dressed as a slow, doddering zombie so we can save some cash on costumes.

Busch dressed as mini-Me.
    Frankie - a surfer, (save money, see Williams)
    West as Buckwheat.
    Denton (see Williams)
    Jeff as a rasta
    McBride as the Terminator exoskeleton
    Chacon as Grandpa Simpson
    Clark, Maissoneuve and Presthus as the Golden Girls
    McCarty as Captian Caveman

Eh, could be fun, I guess...

7. Flyer Fan

Flyer Fan Member+

Apr 18, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    We salute you, Crew jingle man. Where others see a no-win situation selling a "foreign" game to the American public, you see an opportunity for a holiday tie-in. "Boo at the Crew?" No way, my friend, "Boo with the Crew" - goblins, ghouls, ghosts and Fire fans. When others scoff you simply reply, "Smell my feet." A true man of genius.

[Not quite as good as "Spit-At-Annoying-Trollup-Guy"]

8. kaiser kraut

kaiser kraut New Member

Jun 26, 2001
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LOL, that just reminds me of those Budweiser "Real Men of Genius" commercials. Is that what you were going for FF?

9. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I'll be on my way into Columbus saturday night, stopping at every Church, synagogue, and mosque, praying that KC wins to have this game mean something.

10. myshap

myshap Member

Jun 19, 2002
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I wonder who the ref is going to be. I sure hope it's Alex Prus. He's the only ref in MLS that is consistant and keeps play flowing. After the last one though Stott would look good, maybe even see what numnuts from the Morelia game is up to. Really MLS should always put the best rated refs for national broadcasts. The NFL does it with MNF, why shouldn't MLS do the same. No way should they have shown that guy yesterday. Keep him as a ref if you like, but keep him swept under a the rug.

We've played Chicago now three times 2 ties and a lose. The last two games looked like crap, but the first one in CCS the Crew should have won because they out played the F*re and played some pretty good attacking soccer. What was the difference you may ask. Could it be that Cunningham and Buddle were the starting forwards? It just seems to me that Boca and Curtin seem to nulify McBride mostly with fouling tactics, but they also have the height to challenge McBride. Whereas Cunningham and Buddle challenge them with their speed. I say do it just like last game, let Cunningham, Buddle, Martino, and West run at the defense all game long then bring McBride in to challenge a tired defense in the air.

11. kaiser kraut

kaiser kraut New Member

Jun 26, 2001
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think a lot of this depends upon McBride's health during the week. If he's still feeling sick come next weekend, then yeah, you can do what they did against DC. However, I always feel that Andrulis will always start McBride unless McBride says he can't go the distance and should be reserved for the bench (like against DC).

So, as much as I like the idea of the speed merchants running down the Chicago defense, and having McBride come in at 55', I just don't think it will happen.

12. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    chicago has clinched everything there is to clinch...

looks like they will play a less than stellar starting eleven.

which means we are totally screwed...

13. YITBOS

YITBOS Member+

Jul 2, 2001
    1.3 hours from CCS
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    except MLS Cup.

Like Hang, I've expanded my horizons. I have begun praying to all sorts of Gods and crazy religions I can think of. Hell, I'm even half tempted to build a Golden Calf and start parying (even though that would mean eternal damnation).

14. Flyer Fan

Flyer Fan Member+

Apr 18, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    Will you name it Moobie?

15. kaiser kraut

kaiser kraut New Member

Jun 26, 2001
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If named Moobie, proper whorship must be done while consuming an Egg-a-Moobie-Muffin.

16. YITBOS

YITBOS Member+

Jul 2, 2001
    1.3 hours from CCS
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow, I don't think I can get up and walk because I just had a Shannon Elizabeth flashback.

Now I have two things to pray to Moobie for: the Crew and Shannon!

17. kaiser kraut

kaiser kraut New Member

Jun 26, 2001
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dude, did you just fill the cup?

Moobie must be a god of the most mighty proportions. He will surely deliver the Crew to the promised land and the righteously hot Shannon Elizabeth to Yitbos (she'll get her geek).

movie cross-reference... is that legal? it just makes her too hot to imagine while at work.

18. JMMUSA8

JMMUSA8 New Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Webster
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll be rooting for you guys, because I want to see DC miss the playoffs for the 4th straight year.

19. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, the F*re Official Website is selling tix for the big F*re vs. DC Playoff Matchup:

F*re to face DC United in Playoffs

DC United's loss means they will face the Fire in the Eastern Conference Semifinals. Game 1 will be take place in Washington, D.C. Game 2 will take place at New Soldier Field on Sunday, Nov. 9 at Noon. Tickets now on sale – at regular season prices!

20. MD_05

MD_05 New Member

Oct 18, 2002
    Ohio
    bulletin board material if i've ever seen it.

21. CrewToon

CrewToon Member

Jun 13, 1999
    Greenbrier Farm

Which is why the F*re plays their best 11 on Sunday.

22. Raoul

Raoul New Member

Sep 19, 1999
    Downtown Dublin
    I think so too, Toon. They'll want us out and can see an easier series vs. DC - particularly on Aggregate goals.

Having Stoich and Dema on the oposing team would probably be a better fan draw anyway.

The Fire will be looking to get up early and let us chase.

23. DGA57

DGA57 Member

Jun 17, 2002
    Dublin, OH
    Sorry guys. Don't see it that way. That goal in the 99th minute was the medicine the Crew needed to get it all in gear. Williams sits next match and so does Denton. That forces Akwari back into the match along with Hejduk. Oughton stays right and Hey-dude covers the left with his pal Westie to help take out Damarcus (if he even plays). Akwari takes care of Ralph for the 60 minutes he's in.

The middle and the forwards stay the same. Yes, Maze will start with KMart but expect to see early changes again if we're tied or down. BMB takes Jeff's place in the starting lineup and JC comes off the bench to notch 2 late goals against a tired Fire defense.

And I emailed the Fire webmaster and thanked him for the bulletin board material.

24. diablodelsol

diablodelsol Member+

Jan 10, 2001
    New Jersey
    Perhaps we should start a KC-DC pregame thread, as that game decides our season right now.

25. JMMUSA8

JMMUSA8 New Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Webster
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    why do u type Fire that way, j/c