Crew at Kansas City Wizards:: pre-game/wager thread

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by Grouchy, Sep 10, 2007.

1. HardHatMike

HardHatMike DOOOOOOOOM!

Traktor Nebraska
    Aug 31, 2005
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I smell another Fish.

2. west ham sandwich

Feb 26, 2007
    C-bus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm willing to give Garey a run out there at this time, as he's apparently doing well in the reserve games. But honestly, I just don't think he's an MLS starter, let alone our forward savior.

3. Missionary

Missionary Member

Jul 13, 2003
    Mission Viejo
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Altidore, a 17 year old kid can make it then Garey should be able to. The coach simply needs to have faith in these young talented kids.

4. west ham sandwich

Feb 26, 2007
    C-bus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wait.... you think Garey has the same amount of talent as Altidore?

Garey's talent isn't even in the same zip code as Altidore, may not even be in the same state.

There's a reason Jozy was drafted/signed as a 16/17 year old and Garey wasn't drafted until after 4 years of college.

5. PVancouver

PVancouver Member

Apr 1, 1999
    Are you referring to the 2005 Maryland team that had

Marc Burch
    Michael Dello-Russo
    Maurice Edu
    A.J. Godbolt
    Chris Lancos
    Robbie Rogers
    Chris Seitz

on it, all drafted by MLS (did I miss somebody)?

Who the year before had Abe Thompson, Domenic Mediate, and Noah Palmer?

And the year before that Seth Stammler, Sumed Ibrahim, Scott Buete, and Clarence Goodson?

6. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
    Garey is shit. He cannot hit a donkeys arse with a banjo in MLS.

Altidore has a bit more talent than Garey. Garey is 23. He is not a kid.

Are you ok? You went 2 posts without mentioning Rogers.

Do we need to call the Paramedics?

7. kaiser kraut

kaiser kraut New Member

Jun 26, 2001
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're missing the point, I think. It's not whether Moreno would do well with somebody like Garey up top with him. The point is that our coach doesn't put ANYBODY up top with him... so it just won't happen.

8. west ham sandwich

Feb 26, 2007
    C-bus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is this in reply to my post?

I see you're point; Seitcz, Rogers, Edu, and Burch all played 4 ye.... oh wait they didn't... they left early to play in MLS/overseas. I've not heard of the other 2 so I have no idea what they've done.

pffttt... I just noticed to included Noah Palmer on your list of stellar MLS starting quality players from Maryland (who played all four years of elegibility). Oh that's funny. Oww, my sides.

9. PVancouver

PVancouver Member

Apr 1, 1999
    My point was that Maryland has had a large contingent of MLS caliber or near caliber players. College teams with that many good players should play very well, and score lots of goals. Garey may have earned every one of his 22 goals in 2005, or maybe he didn't. I didn't follow him closely. But if Garey was on a very weak team scoring 22 goals would have been more impressive.

Stephen King is a senior this year, he had 15 goals in 2005.

Cirovski on King: "Stephen is a joy to coach and is still probably the most under-appreciated player in the country, although I think that is changing. He will go down as one of the all-time greatest players at Maryland. His feel and knowledge of the game are tops on the team."

I only included Seitz and Palmer because I wanted to include all MLS-drafted players, and Seitz did get an assist in 2005.

My remark was not directed at the 4 years comment.

10. west ham sandwich

Feb 26, 2007
    C-bus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    my apologies for my snarkyness then.

Carry on.

11. Draghignazzo

Draghignazzo Member+

Feb 24, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Me likey too, but it will NEVER happen under Sigi.
    I don't think he knows the 3-5-2 exists, and even if he did post it was the official line-up it'd be run tactically like a 5-4-1.

He does not have enough confidence in out 1st string D to try a 3-man backline. Wehat makes you think that we get 3-deep off the bench and suddenly the coach sees that we have the opportunity to run with only 3 defenders.

disclaimer: I agree that a 3-5-2 may be our only change to win this game.
    Maybe the Soccer Gods will...oh nevermind:mad:

12. Missionary

Missionary Member

Jul 13, 2003
    Mission Viejo
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I better mention Rogers then. Formation wise Robbie is better as a mid-field type than a pure forward. He played better in a midfield role for Maryland and the U-20's. And from what I have seen he can play some defense. Maybe Sigi should experiment with him in a left back role as some has suggested in other posts. Up front, he is better supporting a Guille type player than a Moreno type. Better yet he and Garey were team mates so he would be better supporting Garey because he knows Garey's tendencies better. In any event he is being wasted at present. He looked decent before he went to World Cup, now he seems to have lost his confidence from all the pine sitting.

13. myshap

myshap Member

Jun 19, 2002
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Garey only has one tendancy...to be pure shit.

14. Missionary

Missionary Member

Jul 13, 2003
    Mission Viejo
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If he is that bad Sigi should trade him. I bet DC United would take him in a heartbeat because he is a favorite in Maryland.

15. PVancouver

PVancouver Member

Apr 1, 1999
    I believe Sigi played a 3-5-2 for five games last summer; the Crew went 0-3-2 in those games, including two losses to DC United.

But I didn't ask Sigi what he thought he was playing.

16. Draghignazzo

Draghignazzo Member+

Feb 24, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Let me clarify. By "NEVER", I meant the 2007 squad.
    The 2006 (or '05) team could have gone 0-3-2 in whatever formation you felt like lining them up.

And I would agree that asking Sigi at that time if he thought he was playing a 3-5-2 or a 2-3-3-1-1 might return an unexpected result.

17. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
    I am sure that all DC's player decisions are taken on whether the player is popular in Maryland.:rolleyes:

18. HardHatMike

HardHatMike DOOOOOOOOM!

Traktor Nebraska
    Aug 31, 2005
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All of ours seem to be whether a player played at UCLA....

19. Missionary

Missionary Member

Jul 13, 2003
    Mission Viejo
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Garey was awesome when he played at Maryland. The fact that the Crew has not developed him does not mean he cannot play well somewhere else. My guess is DC would see the potential and grab him if dangled out there.

20. OU9601

OU9601 Member

Jul 12, 2003
    Lancaster, Ohio

Please compile a list for me of first round draft picks who weren't "awesome" in college...not including those who don't go to college. I'm not saying that Garey isn't capable of more than we've seen, but I'd like more than awesome at college. Hell, Duncan's left Cal-State Fullerton as their all-time leading goal scorer...should we move him forward, or trade him to DC so they can develop him?

Here's what I see from Garey, when we see Garey -- he reminds me a lot of watching Taylor Twellman play for the MNT. You can see he's got the idea of what a striker should be doing, and where he should be, but he's always a step slow to it. Maybe Garey picks up that step as he gets more experience, but I'm not sure.

21. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
    You really are dumb as shit.

It isn't the fact that the Crew hasn't developed him. He is shit. He cannot hit a cows arse with banjo.

Try and be consistent with your argument. DC will not sign him because he is a "favourite in Maryland"

Prick.

22. electrickeeper

electrickeeper The Ginger Pele
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Oct 14, 2002
    The Cheese Room
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Crew: 4
    KC Piz: -3

Easy enough.

23. eboe

eboe Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 23, 2006
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Really, how do you determine he cannot "hit a cow's arse with a banjo" - he has played well enough everytime I have seen him this season, and that cow's arse, I mean Colorado, took two hits from him in the reserve game. Sure he wasn't GREAT last season, but who was? Now with a creative player on Sigi's good side, he might play much better. The last time I remember seeing Jason in a game was what, RSL? GBS wasn't even with us yet at that point, I don't think... and playing on that field is hardly the best place to judge someone's skill.

but according to the Dispatch
    we might just get to see him out there tonight. Let's hope it works. Maybe Ward will get his chance too, but I would rather see Migs over there...

24. kaiser kraut

kaiser kraut New Member

Jun 26, 2001
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, I'm not saying they'd go after Garey, but DC does have a history of finding players from Maryland and Virginia that can have a home on one of their rosters (senior/development, just to be clear). They seem to garner just enough "local" players to make a connection in that sense to the community from this angle, ISTM.

But I agree that you can't say that a player is going to get grabbed up by DC just because they had some past time in that area (be it growing up or at college).

25. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
    That is a sad definition of playing well.

A reserve game? Wow. Get him in the national team.