Crew Academy Players

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by Smithsoccer1721, Feb 9, 2011.

1. David Kerr

David Kerr Member+

United States
    Oct 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    u15’s did very well in the group stage then had some bumps on the road after. They missed out on the knockout stage by one goal in the goal difference which was super unlucky. They also lost Vaughn De Rath after the second match due to a meniscus injury which is very unfortunate and a huge part of the defense lost. The team overall still did pretty well hanging with the pace of play and possessing the ball which is how the academy plays but struggled defensively so a lot of matches had even possession but ended 1-3 or 0-3. JJ Vozar and Austin Su (08) were the top overall performers in my opinion. Christian Hodges, Aaron Hurge, Rikito Deanda, Tristian Brown, and Cooper Flannary also had good showcases. Obviously you’d want to see some results be better but results come secondary to individual development at this level and the top prospects are coming along very well

The u17’s had an excellent showcase. They won their group against Tijuana, Dallas, and St Louis. They then beat Celtic and got to the quarterfinals before losing to Inter Miami off of a last second corner. Honestly going 0-0 against Miami for a full match is an accomplishment itself because they’re loaded. All of the matches they did really well applying most of the principles of play. The top performers aren’t really surprising being Caleb Borneo and Jack Lindimore who are progressing really well. Taha Habroune did the best out of the 06’s followed by Owen Presthus and Chris Rogers

Overall this was a good showcase for the club. 17’s specifically showed out well and the 07’s still showed that there’s some prospects with pro potential to be excited about

hardhead, zman31, letsdothis and 3 others repped this.
  2. David Kerr

David Kerr Member+

United States
    Oct 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Caleb Borneo was named to the GA Cup Best 11. This is a best 11 from both the u17 and u15 divisions so the overall top 11 performers from
    60 domestic teams in GA Cup. Caleb is a 2005 attacking mid/winger

In a MLS article for just the u17 (2005/2006) age group, Caleb was also named to the best 11 for the individual age category. Jack Lindimore (2005 LCB) was named as an honorable mention. In a topdrawer soccer article, Jack was named to the best 11 and Brent Adu-Gyamfi (2006 W) along with Borneo were listed as honorable mentions.

Because the 2007’s didn’t make it out of the group (again, missed out on goal difference by just one goal), no one made it on the best 11 or honorable mentions. JJ Vozar (2007 DM/CB) and Austin Su (2008 CM) we’re the top two performers in my opinion and would’ve gotten the shouts had they advanced. Aaron Hurge is the player who before this tournament has been getting called into national team camps for the 2007 age group. I still have hope for quite a few kids on this u15 team of get to the second team and some even further, the 2007’s have some good talents

letsdothis, hardhead, Minnman and 3 others repped this.
  3. Tobias C

Tobias C Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Mar 6, 2014
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FIRE CALEB NOW

SIGN CALEB NOW

zman31 and catfish9 repped this.
  4. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How long before Borneo is with Crew 2?

Tobias C repped this.
  5. David Kerr

David Kerr Member+

United States
    Oct 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He was with Crew 2 for basically all of their pre season in January, February, and March. He’d come down and train with the u17’s if they have MLS academy matches or GA Cup but outside of that he’s basically with Crew 2 already. I’d expect Caleb to start pushing for minutes with them pretty quickly now

Now that Crew 2 is a thing. We’ll likely see the top academy talents, like Caleb, go right from 17/19’s to Crew 2. If it was here last year or 2 years ago. Sam Sarver and Elton Chifamba both likely wouldn’t have gone to college. TJ Presthus and Anthony Samways also would’ve picked up a ton of minutes with Crew 2 last year as well

6. letsdothis

letsdothis Member

Crew
    United States
    Jan 7, 2020
    Good to see there is a pro pathway through the Crew 2. Hopefully we will see more academy players given the opportunity to showcase on the Crew 2 like we see happening in other academies.

MLSinCleveland, Tobias C and Kyle Crew repped this.
  7. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good, I hope this is true.

8. David Kerr

David Kerr Member+

United States
    Oct 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    https://www.ussoccer.com/stories/20...ead-coach-marko-mitrovics-first-training-camp

Caleb Borneo (2005 CAM/W) becomes the second Crew academy player this year to be called into a us youth national team camp. He’ll be in the u19 camp which is mostly 2005’s and a couple 2004’s. Aaron Hurge (2007 CM) has been in two camps with the 2007 age group

Tyler Crawford (2004 LB) is currently in camp with the Canada u20’s. He is playing up with their 2003 cycle

9. MLSinCleveland

MLSinCleveland Member+

Oct 12, 2006
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just wondering if there would be interest in a Crew prospect website covering Crew 2 and the Academy.

10. David Kerr

David Kerr Member+

United States
    Oct 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Either that or a twitter page where people are most active

MLSinCleveland and Crew96Fan repped this.
  11. chr1st

chr1st Member+

Jan 19, 2011
    Dayton
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    zman31 repped this.
  12. Crew96Fan

Crew96Fan Member+

Jul 27, 2013
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    GOOOOOOAAAAALLLLLL!! 1-0 from Adu-Gyamfi

13. zman31

zman31 Member+

May 5, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks! A little early to start pre-gaming for the first team game tonight, but I'm always ready to watch a little soccer with my morning coffee.

14. chr1st

chr1st Member+

Jan 19, 2011
    Dayton
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FTFY

15. zman31

zman31 Member+

May 5, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I really try not to start drinking when I'm working. Though my motto has always been that you can't drink all day unless you start in the morning.

chr1st repped this.
  16. DrunkandDisorderly

Mar 17, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    chr1st repped this.
  17. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or as Aya Cash once said in You're the Worst, when someone said he wished he had a job where he could day drink, " They're ALL jobs where you can day drink if you're really dedicated"

18. jairadballerina

jairadballerina Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    C-Town
    Kinda like all zoos are petting zoos if you really try.

POdinCowtown and Bill Archer repped this.
  19. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But
    [​IMG]

20. Crew96Fan

Crew96Fan Member+

Jul 27, 2013
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What just happened? I missed the reasoning for the cards.

21. zman31

zman31 Member+

May 5, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pretty sure it was 2 cautions for time wasting, kicking the ball away after the whistle, that resulted in the red card dismisal.

22. Crew96Fan

Crew96Fan Member+

Jul 27, 2013
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Whoops

Also crazy that MLS Next Cup is streaming in higher quality than MLS on ESPN+

MLSinCleveland repped this.
  23. DrunkandDisorderly

Mar 17, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Paging @TRUJDUB21. They are doing kicks from the spot to decide a winner.

TRUJDUB21 and chr1st repped this.
  24. DrunkandDisorderly

Mar 17, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    ON TO THE SEMIS!!!!!!!!!!

25. TRUJDUB21

TRUJDUB21 Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Sep 28, 2021
    I sense sarcasm but wouldn’t we be eliminated?