Crew Academy Players

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by Smithsoccer1721, Feb 9, 2011.

1. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Personally I would have signed Sarver as well.

2. soccerncbus

soccerncbus Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Mar 29, 2018
    Tobias C repped this.
  3. Tobias C

Tobias C Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Mar 6, 2014
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is Sarver a center foward? Or would he be more of a wing option? Curious where he could hypothetically fit in to the roster.

4. catfish9

catfish9 Member+

Jul 14, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Y'all can go back and find my post but he was definitely in the 2-3 I thought might get offer this year.

Bill Archer, CybrSlydr and Tobias C repped this.
  5. Tobias C

Tobias C Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Mar 6, 2014
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What do we know about Parente?

6. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wide player. Think of an Ethan Finley type in the sense he is a speedster that can stretch the defense. Isn’t exactly tricky with the ball but has good instincts.

7. Tobias C

Tobias C Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Mar 6, 2014
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks! If we were to sell on Diaz in the next year or so, that would be a good time to introduce him. Clearly wouldnt start, but could easily make the bench and be brought on later in games to run at tired teams maybe.

8. Crew96Fan

Crew96Fan Member+

Jul 27, 2013
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With this signing there definitely seems to be a reluctance of the front office to sign straight from the academy until a reserve or Crew II is in place

Tobias C repped this.
  9. Tobias C

Tobias C Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Mar 6, 2014
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I kinda understand this though, honestly. Without our own reserve team in place for these guys to be getting solid game experience in the Crew system, theyre probably better served getting some time in in college (while working on their education). Theres only room on the main roster for so many homegrown guys, that if they arent going to play much of a role competitively yet, theyre just a waste of space. Porter can keep tabs on their progress and growth at their respective colleges.

We definitely really need that Crew 2 team stat, though. The homegrown program is only growing stronger and stronger, with more and more guys who can hack it in MLS or even Europe. What if Chifamba has some major value overseas, and we dont have him formerly on board with the team to even "sell on" and profit from.

letsdothis repped this.
  10. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Until a Crew II is in place, there really aren't many roster spots available to sign guys to professional contracts. And thus far, the league has said nothing about creating a U23 league of its own. All we have is that report, from October, in The Athletic. Of course, this was one of the huge down-sides of the MLS-USL agreement; the two leagues operate using different types of contracts. It made it a pain to move more than few players back and forth between the USL and MLS sides. I assume MLS wanted to launch a U-23 league in 2021, but with COVID still going strong, I'd not be surprised if it's delayed a year.

letsdothis and Tobias C repped this.
  11. catfish9

catfish9 Member+

Jul 14, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I differ in my assessment. I think he is very crafty with the ball. Likes to drive centrally from wings and take on defenders. I think he even played the #10 a fair amt. Maybe a little more like Sanch. I'm excited to see if he can elevate his game even further on the pro ranks.

12. catfish9

catfish9 Member+

Jul 14, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Of course there is. Why not let a kid go play in college so long as it in one of the better college environments that perennially turns out pros - Indiana, Wake Forest, Maryland, Stanford, Virginia, Akron. If they can adjust to that programming, have success and show growth, then they are more likely to able to adjust to pro environment.

letsdothis repped this.
  13. Crew96Fan

Crew96Fan Member+

Jul 27, 2013
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh I totally agree with everyone, just making an observation!

14. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We clearly are ok with a one and done style development pathway. It makes sense till we can get a Crew 2 team. Not ideal long term but for now it’s better than getting zero good minutes and it’s not so long that you miss out on development opportunities

Tobias C repped this.
  15. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can't recall who the player was but Sigi once advised a kid to go to college for at least one year as a transition to the pros. He felt the jump from high school/u18's to full time pro was just too big a step.

Of course he was a former college coach, and this was before the academy system was as developed as it is now but the point likely still obtains. At least until there's a USL team here.

catfish9 repped this.
  16. Crew96Fan

Crew96Fan Member+

Jul 27, 2013
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This was after Sigi but Ben Swanson was definitely in the category. Not saying he would’ve matched his potential had he kept his commitment to Wake but I’m sure it would’ve helped.

catfish9 repped this.
  17. Tobias C

Tobias C Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Mar 6, 2014
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just remember when Swanson first signed with the team, soccer fans all over the world knew who he was because he was one of, if not the highest "potential" American players in the FIFA video game, lol.

catfish9 repped this.
  18. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Potential and reality often differ, for many reasons. Think of Cousineau vs Spielman in the NFL for example.

19. catfish9

catfish9 Member+

Jul 14, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A couple of thoughts on Swanson:
    • Injuries derailed him and he never seemed to recover
    • He never grew. At 5'6" you have to be amazing technically and have superior quickness not mention pack a few lbs of muscle to withstand the physical side of game. I think being 17 when signed, team hoped he'd grow at least a few more inches.
    • Agree with sentiment that looking back maybe a year or 2 at college might have been better for him. Let his body develop to take punishment of pros.
    • Wonder where he is now? He's only 23. Hopefully got a degree and building a nice life for himself.

Tobias C repped this.
  20. catfish9

catfish9 Member+

Jul 14, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK after 30 seconds of creeping it seems he has been off twitter since he left the game. And wasn't very active on Facebook except for January of last year where he posted he moved to Los Angeles. Again hope he is doing well. Shame his promising career got derailed.

Tobias C and CybrSlydr repped this.
  21. David Kerr

David Kerr Member+

United States
    Oct 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    @Smithsoccer1721 asked me a couple questions about the Crew academy

1. Any ideas? We have heard it's in the works

They are confirmed launching a u23 team. Higher up employees at the club have confirmed it. It was supposed to start this spring (and potentially will in May) but might be delayed to 2022 because of financial reasons. Turns out when you build a new stadium and revamp your old one for a new academy facility you end up being low on cash. But they will be launching this team sooner rather than later as will most other MLS clubs

2. It seems they like the process of players going to college for a season, does that seem like a function of not having a place for them to play or a strategy?

It is because they didn't have a USL team for them to play at. The Crew haven't been the biggest fans of sign & stash with their homegrowns and after the Ben Swanson bust it seems like they would rather send players to college where they can get minutes and develop rather than pay 60-70k a year to loan a kid to USL who might not play or have them rotting on their bench. With the u23 team launching, expect this to change and the talented academy players to stay home at the club.

3. Players in the pipeline we should be paying attention to?

Noah Hall, 2003, RB:
    Noah is the most pro ready prospect in my opinion and is an at risk of losing prospect for the Crew. Noah is a very athletic and technical right back who gets up and down the sidelines very well. Noah has YNT experience for the 2003 age group. Noah's family have their eyes set on him going pro and not going to college so if he isn't signed soon I could see him fleeing for USL or Europe.

Sam Sarver, 2003, ST/W: Sam Sarver is a Cleveland kid similar to Isaiah Parente. Sam is probably going to end up being a winger at the professional level and is a pretty similar player to Paul Arriola. He is lightning fast, okay but could be better on the ball, and a work horse off the ball. Sam realistically has played out of the DA and is ready for USL but obviously is stuck in the DA and basically averaged 2 goals a game in the fall. Sam is Indiana University bound but rest assured, he stands no chance of staying more than 1-2 years there before he becomes a homegrown. He'll do very well in MLS

Elton Chifamba, 2003, DM/CM: Elton is in my opinion the Crew's most talented 2003 but is in a tricky situation at the club. Elton's game is very similar to Darlington Nagbe's and if he bulked up you wouldn't be able to tell the two apart if I'm being honest. Elton's IQ is very high and in the defensive and middle third almost never loses the ball. He does a great job at checking his shoulder and surveying space to maximize what to do with the ball. Elton does struggle in the final third and turns the ball over a lot because he'll try to get too creative so this is his weakness. His other weakness is that Elton has the physique of a 13 year old at 17 years old which is why he needs a u23 team or college. Elton is currently committed to Clemson which I think will be good for his development but not as good as USL would be. I'm not sure on what Elton's future with the Crew looks like because the Crew have Nagbe, Arthur, Morris, Berhalter, and now Isaiah Parente all playing the same position as him. He's one to watch but may be one that gets away from Columbus but still ends up having a very good career

Aidan Wolf, 2003, AM: Aidan is the 4th 2003 who I think is very talented. Aidan is athletic and creative on the ball and a key player in the final third. Out of the four 2003's at the Crew, Aidan is the least pro ready and will spend the most time in college and is one who is u23 team bound.

Levi Stephens, 2004, CB: The Columbus u17's (2004/2005) don't have very many kids on a professional track but their biggest hope is Levi Stephens. He is an athletic and strong CB who most often plays as a RCB/LCB in a three man back line for the Columbus 17's. Levi is Akron bound but I wouldn't be shocked to see Columbus try to keep him at home

Ramsey Ray, 2005, RB: Ramsey is a short, athletic, and pacy right back who is very creative on the dribble. Ramsey also is pretty good at delivering dangerous crosses. Ramsey is part of a collection of players from the DC area who train under Philip Gyau (other are Bryang Kayo, Moses Nyeman, Kevin Paredes, and more). Ramsey had a rough fall 2020 being out with tendonitis but looks to be back to being match fit and should be a very positive note for the Crew backline. I'm super excited about this kid's development and from people I've spoke with, Ramsey is a player with his eyes set on being a pro and not going to college

Owen Presthus, 2006, AM/W: The big headliner from the Crew 2006's is Owen Presthus. Owen has been the kid to play up with the 05's when possible. Owen is decently athletic but notably is very strong for his age and will end up being around 6'1-6'3 like his older brother TJ who plays CB for the Crew u19's. Owen is a very creative player and the catalyst for their u15's attack. He can play with both feet, can deliver a dangerous cross, can play a good final ball, and is very effective in front of net. Owen is notably very good from set pieces as well. Owen has a shot at being part of the 2023 u17 World Cup cycle for the 2006 age group

Sagar Patel, 2006, CB/6: Sagar Patel is an underrated prospect who may be just as good as Owen Presthus is. Sagar is tall for his age, strong, incredibly composed on the ball, and an excellent passer for a CB. Sagar has been the player who has most impressed me at numerous games that I have seen in person over the last year. Sagar in my opinion is ready to move up to the u17 level and isn't challenged enough playing against his own age group. Sagar could end up being a CB or a 6 long term and is very good at both. The issue is Sagar's game is that he is very slow. His positioning makes up for it but at higher levels his lack of pace could become an issue. If he works on his pace he'll be an out of highschool homegrown

Christopher Rogers, 2006, LB: Chris Rogers is the third big prospect from the u15's and is a very fast and athletic left back. Chris' game is very reminiscent of Marcos Alonso as he can get up and down the left side of the field and is fantastic at crossing the ball. Chris has good potential but I need to see more consistency in his game.

Aaron Hurge, 2007, AM: Aaron is the big talent from the Crew 07's. He is very small but he's fast and extremely gifted on the ball. He is always the most skilled player on the field and this would apply even if he played up with the 06's. In my opinion this is the best prospect among the 06's and younger and is one to really keep an eye on. Aaron is from the Bethesda area and is another Philip Gyau player.

4. How does the Crew Academy compare to other academies in the region and across the US?

In the region Crew are among the top 3 in the midwest but need to step up the recruiting to not get beat out by Cinci or St Louis. Nationally they're in the middle of the MLS academies but are trending positively because of their investments in the academy, more top level coaches, and u23 team. I think the Crew will be a very good academy this decade and are building a very sustainable academy model

22. CybrSlydr

CybrSlydr Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Jun 30, 2013
    Casper, WY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great writeup. Appreciate your insight!

Tobias C repped this.
  23. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for sharing some of your knowledge and insight. Would love to see that u23 team sooner than later. Also, we have a huge hole at RB outside of this year so signing Hall would make a lot of sense in the short and long term.

24. catfish9

catfish9 Member+

Jul 14, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Current LB is forgoing college at this point and is planning to play for U23 team. I suspect he too will flee if he isn't reassured that team will be a go this year. The lure to Crew originally (he's from CA) was the promise of a Crew 2 team. I gather things aren't being made completely clear with the kids and that's a shame as this is critical time in their lives and they need some level of certainty so they can plan accordingly.

25. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Flee to where? Euopre or a USL team? Not a ton of choices especially if they dont have a passport.