Crew Academy Players

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by Smithsoccer1721, Feb 9, 2011.

1. Crew96Fan

Crew96Fan Member+

Jul 27, 2013
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

2. letsdothis

letsdothis Member

Crew
    United States
    Jan 7, 2020
    TJ Presthus is a solid player. I like his attitude on the field. Steps up when needed. "Has your back" type of player. All teams need a player like this. Congrats to him. He has a bright future.

CybrSlydr and Hamburgler03 repped this.
  3. LaMacchia

LaMacchia Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    Transformational Change? Is that like wet water?

Bill Archer repped this.
  5. CybrSlydr

CybrSlydr Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Jun 30, 2013
    Casper, WY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wetter water.

6. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    More fish to catch. CybrSlydr is the best Crew Academy product.

7. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #907 Bill Archer, Aug 6, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2020
    q
    So being a good soccer player is no longer sufficient for the Crew Academy. Now you're going to be required to engage in right think as well.

What about a player - or his parents- who don't want to be subjected to lectures on how whiteness is oppressive,, we're all tools of the patriarchy and Amerikkka is evil? Is there an opt out option? Or is ideological indoctrination now a requirement for anyone aspiring to play for the Crew.

The mind reels

POdinCowtown and CybrSlydr repped this.
  8. CybrSlydr

CybrSlydr Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Jun 30, 2013
    Casper, WY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I won't tell you how long its been since I've actually caught a fish. Lol

9. catfish9

catfish9 Member+

Jul 14, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wouldn't it be nice if employers, schools, and the government didn't need to teach us how to act? Wouldn't it be great if parent's just taught respect at home? I am by no means big church guy but I went twice a week growing up. And there I was taught to love thy neighbor - all of them - no mater race, sex, or religion. Wouldn't it be nice if we had more of that these days? I find it a bit ironic that many (not all - don't want to over stereotype) of the people involved in some of the protests seem to be not just anti government but also anti religion. Just an observation.

stanger, POdinCowtown and MLSinSTL repped this.
  10. Crewster

Crewster Member+

Jan 28, 2005
    Worthington
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why don't you explain this point of view to Derrick Etienne, Darlington Nagbe, or Jonathan Mensah, and see what they have to say?

Crew96Fan repped this.
  11. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll make two brief points: (1) Your last point was also true of the French Revolution, which was quite nasty. (2) Our church had a prayer meeting just after the protests began. One of the speakers (via a written message) was John Perkins (one of the guys who marched with Dr. King) who noted that as Christians we believe that we are all image-bearers of God. That has (and should have) huge implications about how we treat other people.

MLSinCleveland repped this.
  12. DGA57v2

DGA57v2 Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Apr 1, 2019
    The biggest reason ever not to vote for Trump. I refuse to sacrifice my beliefs for someone like that even if he did a 180 degree turnaround on his policies. It's a one package deal. For every good thing Trump does, there are twenty things that smell like shit.

A few years ago quite a few Christian men were sacrificed by Muslim extremists on a beach in Libya. They took their belief to the grave with them. I'm not even close to being in that boat but, the least that I can do, is vote against someone that just yesterday said that Biden was against God and the Bible.

13. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let's keep the presidential race over in the National Politics board please. Bill's comments were pertinent to the Academy. This is not. I'll will briefly say that I do agree that our faith should inform our vote--which will differ in application and thought from person to person--and leave it at that.

shoplifter and catfish9 repped this.
  14. DGA57v2

DGA57v2 Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Apr 1, 2019
    I agree. I reacted to your comment and didn't realize I wasn't in the politics thread. If the moderators want to move it, that's fine.

kgilbert78 repped this.
  15. RunSudoSane

RunSudoSane Member

Nov 3, 2011
    Came on the forum to talk about access to the stadium. And then, I end up reading BS like this. Of course, there's no systemic problems within our local, state and federal government. Of course, there's no racists protected within that system, both in law enforcement and government.

One of the most difficult jobs in society is that of protecting and serving. Dealing with humans at their worst is always difficult. This doesn't make the systemic problems any less noteworthy.

But spouting nonsense like the above, which simply pushes an extreme and false perception in order to counteract other extreme and false perceptions is infantile.

16. Crewster

Crewster Member+

Jan 28, 2005
    Worthington
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It makes perfect sense for the Crew to make sure their potential future players are comfortable in the racially diverse environment they will experience with the Crew, or any other club they may play for. We don't need a Ron Jans situation with the Crew.

17. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I see where you are coming from. My only concern is that this smacks of "safety culture" just a bit. The real world just isn't like that. You will often be put into uncomfortable situations in diverse environments In real life. Growing up is part of learning how to deal with it--life isn't fair. Or as The Dread Pirate Roberts once said "Life is pain--anyone who says otherwise is selling something". Teaching respect is good. Teaching someone how to respond when they're in a Rodney Dangerfield situation ("I don't get no respect") is better.

I recall my first Boy Scout camping trip--in November. I borrowed a sleeping bag from a neighbor. It was a summer bag. Oops! I was quite cold the entire night. It didn't kill me. But I learned a lot from that experience. One was that the Boy Scout motto was no joke ("be prepared"). Today? A parent would have sued the troop. But it was my mistake.

TKyle repped this.
  18. Dan Milton

Dan Milton Member

Nov 25, 1998
    I don't know the facts of Ron Jans incident but what I heard was that some players in the locker room had a song playing that mentions the "N" word. Some of the players were singing along with the song. Ron Jane joined in with the players singing the words and one of those words was the "N" word! Seems that I heard this version on a Cincinnati radio station. Don't really know for a fact but it is possible Jans didn't mean to offend anyone!

19. Crewster

Crewster Member+

Jan 28, 2005
    Worthington
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I imagine that this is exactly the sort of thing that could be taught in diversity training.

I would imagine that diversity training would cover unintended offensive comments.

LaMacchia repped this.
  20. letsdothis

letsdothis Member

Crew
    United States
    Jan 7, 2020
    Man, I miss the soccer talk. Where is the new Crew Academy thread at? I wanted to post on that thread that I am looking forward to the start our new academy season. The higher age groups are projected to have good teams this year.

21. TKyle

TKyle Moderator
    Staff Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 28, 2014
    Nordecke’s Porch
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Repped for a Dread Pirate Roberts quote.

22. LaMacchia

LaMacchia Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When does the academy season start?

23. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One would hope--but with things like "micro-aggressions", probably not (see the Jans case). You are now taught to take offense at those. Yet, at the very least, they are subjective and based to some extent on emotion. Emotions are not always reliable.

24. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With the DA now longer being a thing and now this new structure it will be interesting to see how things go this year.

MLSinCleveland repped this.
  25. LaMacchia

LaMacchia Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not sure anyone is being taught - or teaching - that individuals should take offense to more things.

What's happening is that demographics who have historically just let a lot of things slide are no longer letting things slide. I don't see anything wrong with that.

zman31 repped this.