Crew Academy Players

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by Smithsoccer1721, Feb 9, 2011.

1. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maintenance? Might not be.

2. BigStern

BigStern Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Oct 2, 2018
    Columbus by way of Lima
    My count was 13303 in the lower bowl and 6534 in the upper bowl.

3. DAK77

DAK77 Member+

Nov 10, 2008
    Merion Village, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Probably depends on if they want to continue to have concerts there.

TRUJDUB repped this.
  4. runningoz

runningoz Member

Oct 25, 2014
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    According to thus posting, more than just the upper bowl being removed. Could be different by now though.

5. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think you get the three fields next to the stadium. I would not expect more than that. Fairgrounds will really fight to keep the parking. New fields would be where the drainage thingy is--so no loss of parking. Maybe the indoor facility. Maybe.

6. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don’t disagree and my memory might be failing me but USL wants to have “standards” for its level. That would mean on and off the field which MLS 2 teams are generally not meeting.

7. zman31

zman31 Member+

May 5, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have the figure the only reason they want to stay on the fairgrounds at all is because of the cheap lease. To leave they would have to return the grounds to original state, not an insignificant amount of money, but not gigantic either. But to go elsewhere they'd need to buy land and pay taxes. That would add up quickly. Renewing the lease on the fairgrounds is least expensive. It's just no where near ideal. There is just no possible way to shoehorn a complete training facility there.

I understand why they're looking to reuse the site, I just think it's shortsighted and as a Crew II and U-19 academy with potential residency type stuff comes about, they'll need more space than would be available.

There have been a lot of tensions between USL and MLS over the MLS reserve teams that play in USL. I'd not be surprised if they kick them all out. An return of the MLS reserve league would be great. I still think, because of the short nature of soccer games that playing the reserve game before the MLS game to get a 5 hour block of attendance, getting 3 or 4k folks to show up early would generate more interest and $s than having separate events and ticketing.

CybrSlydr and TRUJDUB repped this.
  8. TKyle

TKyle Moderator
    Staff Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 28, 2014
    Nordecke’s Porch
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, what’s the deal with that drainage thingy? (I think I remember someone called it “Skank Lake.”)

It certainly is there because it must serve a purpose; otherwise, why would the Fairgrounds have been willing to lose parking spaces there?

And if it does serve a purpose, how is it that now there’s talk of filling it in and making either field(s) or parking spaces out of it?

9. BigStern

BigStern Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Oct 2, 2018
    Columbus by way of Lima
    I don't know this for certain but I'd wager a guess it's the site detention basin, collecting storm water from the site and discharging it at a slower flow to the drainage ditch that ultimately takes the stormwater to the river. This can be replaced with underground detention. Basically a pond in the form of storage pipes that they can build upon.

TKyle repped this.
  10. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's about what they did with the new parking lot at my workplace, as it is close to the river. Apparently at least one big underground cistern--that's completely covered by the lot now.

11. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In the recent (well, a few months ago) update about the state of the Mapfre project, the overall parking space losses were still about 1,500. Based on the initial plan, it was more than 1,900 spaces. When the project was pared back, the indoor soccer field has already been removed from the plan, and the community fields were cut back a bit, too. The original plan was for about 50 acres; then it was pared back to 40.

Of course, where there's a will, and funding, there's away. There are reportedly other areas on that site where some (a few hundred) new parking spaces can be added. But for the most part, the task force working on this seems to be doing its business out of the limelight. I just hope they can work it out, and somehow add back in some of the features originally advertised.

And doesn't the Obetz lease expire again today?

12. Frank Rijkaard's Dutch mother:
    [​IMG]

Ruud Gullit with his Dutch mother:
    [​IMG]

13. TRUJDUB

TRUJDUB Member+

Nov 22, 2015
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    If USL wants to be funny the MLS can just make its own MLS 2

14. TKyle

TKyle Moderator
    Staff Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 28, 2014
    Nordecke’s Porch
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Huh.
    Then I wonder why they didn’t just make it an underground detention basin from the get-go, and have a lot more parking spaces this whole time?

15. BigStern

BigStern Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Oct 2, 2018
    Columbus by way of Lima
    $
    A lot cheaper to just dig a hole than to buy a bunch of storage pipe and gravel for the bedding/backfill.

16. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    @BigStern 's response, but also we need to take the Expo Center's claims about the value of/demand for surface parking in the area with a grain of salt. During the Quarter Horse Congress, absolutely. When the State Fair is in town, youbetcha. The rest of the year... not so much.

I'd like to be a fly on the wall during the Task Force meetings. Eventually, we'll hear about what the plan is, but I'm horribly impatient.

17. focusondev

focusondev Member

Barcelona
    United States
    Nov 15, 2019
    Hopefully they get serious soon with finalizing and moving these plans forward. The new USL, and Academy deserve this. Considering the weather, an indoor full field facility would also be ideal. This task force seems to be moving at a snail's pace. Any news on the Obetz Lease?

18. letsdothis

letsdothis Member

Crew
    United States
    Jan 7, 2020
  19. catfish9

catfish9 Member+

Jul 14, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MLSinCleveland and Bill Archer repped this.
  20. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    Is @Kayak still on the boards? He was the expert on the Crew academy and youth players.

Tobias C repped this.
  21. CybrSlydr

CybrSlydr Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Jun 30, 2013
    Casper, WY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Robbo Crewfan, Pauncho and kgilbert78 repped this.
  22. 110toyourleft

110toyourleft Member+

Jan 27, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That’s pretty great for him though Ivy League has canceled fall sports in 2020.

23. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As I recall, the Ivy's have no athletic scholarships... But he will be able to concentrate on academics as a freshman--assuming Yale is actually open.

I will not be surprised if football is the only fall sport played--and that only by the big schools.

24. catfish9

catfish9 Member+

Jul 14, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is he 2020 grad or 2021?