Crew Academy Players

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by Smithsoccer1721, Feb 9, 2011.

1. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thought we could have a thread just dedicated to Crew Academy games, college players, etc...

I will hopefully get a full list of the players in college who are illegible under the homegrown rule.

Just a snip-it I found about a Crew Academy player.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/youth/2011/02/great-lakes-player-could-be-next-star

2. Skeleton Crew

Skeleton Crew Member+

Mar 20, 2009
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Do we have a Home grown on this potential?

3. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not yet. He will need to spend another year to a year and a half with the team. Then we would be able to be a homegrown player. Even then he would be 17-18 years old.

He is one to keep an eye on.

4. MLSinCleveland

MLSinCleveland Member+

Oct 12, 2006
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does anyone have a link to academy roster, schedule, and ticket info?

5. crew317

crew317 Member

Aug 15, 2010
    Cicero, Indiana
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    U 17/18 schedule
    http://ussda.demosphere.com/teams/27484436/27485074-27484530/TEAM.html#SCHED

U17/18 roster
    http://ussda.demosphere.com/teams/27484436/27485074-27484530/TEAM.html

U15/16 Schedule
    http://ussda.demosphere.com/teams/27484436/27484655-27484529/TEAM.html#SCHED

U15/16 Roster
    http://ussda.demosphere.com/teams/27484436/27484655-27484529/TEAM.html

I know my girlfriend and I will be going to the U15/16 U 17/18 matches on May 15 seeing as it is only 15 minutes away from us at Butler University.

6. Crew Chuck35

Crew Chuck35 Member+

Apr 13, 2009
    Gahanna, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is the most alarming area about our FO in my opinion.
    We need to start signing these guys ASAP.

7. patricksp

patricksp 91.9 Crew Fan Rating

Nov 4, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You can't force these kids to sign, they have offered but the parents want them to go to college first.

8. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    Which ones? You cannot sign all of 'em.

9. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This seems like to be an issue but should be less of one I would think. HG signings can be GA signings as well. Basically they are still getting money for college if soccer does not work out.

I have to wonder as I see other teams signing HG players as well stand still on the issue.

10. patricksp

patricksp 91.9 Crew Fan Rating

Nov 4, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I Don't know where I heard it or read it but it is really about the parents they want him In college. It was stated that the parents are DRs and they value education, so it's more about the parents. The other teams it seems that they come from immigrant families.

11. CLG431

CLG431 Member

Oct 20, 2006
    Westerville, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Am I wrong, or do we not have first dibs on them even when they are in college or when they graduate? Matt Kassell was a Junior at Maryland and signed with RBNY as a home grown

12. myshap

myshap Member

Jun 19, 2002
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I know the Crew have first dibs on their CSA players while in college as long as they keep "contact" with them. When they actually graduate from college though, I don't know.

I tried to go to a U16/U18 double header last year. The schedule said it was down at Obetz. I called and they said it was at Obetz. Went to Obetz and no game. I guess in the last minute they decided to move the games to the next day and play them at Dominican. It kind of sucked going from the North side down to Obetz for no reason.

13. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    Are you talking about Barson?

14. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am also saying the with the GA contract that should help alleviate some of the parent pressure to go to college. Not saying it will get rid of it but should help.

I believe Barson and Speas at Akron could eventually be HG correct?

15. mmradio13

mmradio13 Member+

Apr 13, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've heard from a reliable source that Barson and Speas have been claimed as "home-grown".

16. MLSinCleveland

MLSinCleveland Member+

Oct 12, 2006
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks! Any idea what the admission charge is for the matches at Obetz? I'm up here in Cleveland, but likely can't make the matches at Inter on 4/17, plus Pinnacle is a terrible place to watch a match.

17. MLSinCleveland

MLSinCleveland Member+

Oct 12, 2006
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dumb question for everybody here. I feel torn about how to handle an Academy League match between Crew and Inter. I am from Cleveland, and Inter is Cleveland's entry in the USSDA, but my loyalty to the Crew is far above my loyalty to Inter (which is approaching 0 as they have sold their PDL club to Akron Metro and their women's senior?/U-23? [not sure which one it is anymore] club is likely to follow the IP theft lawsuit waiting to happen of a league they have joined into oblivion).

Any advice?

18. myshap

myshap Member

Jun 19, 2002
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    From what I've been told there is no charge for the games. Although if your coming from Cleveland be careful. As I said above, game times and locations can change on a dime.

As for who to cheer for, this is the Crew board...who do you think we'd suggest? Although being youth games the best bet would be to show up and just watch the game and don't cheer at all. Most of the people attending these games will be parents, none of them want to hear your opinion of their kids.

19. THOMA GOL

THOMA GOL BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 16, 1999
    Frontier
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

20. milhouse7

milhouse7 Member

May 22, 2010
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    quite a few players have been claimed as "home-grown" but only a few of them have actually been offered contracts. and yes, both speas and barson qualify as home-grown players.

21. MLSinCleveland

MLSinCleveland Member+

Oct 12, 2006
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks! I'd probably cheer for the Crew if at Obetz and shut up at (or avoid) matches at Pinnacle (Inter's home pitch). I've gotten some askance looks (from Inter parents) cheering for Inter at PDL games (they're playing college soccer, thay can - or should be able to - handle it).

By the way, Inter is the least serious soccer club I've ever seen. I'm hoping Akron Metro can do better in the PDL (i.e. buy enough kits for everybody to have their own number, print useful roster sheets). I hold out some hope because they've already secured a better stadium.

22. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. eclipse02

eclipse02 Member

Sep 20, 2009
    As of right now their are 5 Zips that are Crew Academy Players.

3 Chad Barson D 5-10 170 Jr. Lewis Center, Ohio (Olentangy HS)
    26 Kyle Culbertson D 5-10 140 Fr. Olentangy, Ohio (Olentangy HS)
    23 Andrian McAdams GK 6-0 170 RFr. Oberlin, Ohio (Oberlin HS)
    14 Eric Stevenson MF 5-8 145 So. Columbus, Ohio (Worthington Christian)
    Wil Trapp MF 5-8 150 Fr. Gahanna, Ohio (Gahanna Lincoln HS)

24. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would bet the Crew have talked to Barson already at this point. It will be interesting to see if he signs after the season.

Trapp is one that I wish we already had in playing with the pro's every day. He could be a very good player.

25. invalid

invalid Member

Apr 2, 2003
    Seattle
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    So you can put an official claim on 5 now, right? Still confused after the CBA...