Crew Academy Partners with Michigan Wolves

Discussion in 'MLS: Youth & Development' started by Werdman89, May 25, 2011.

1. Werdman89

Werdman89 Member+

May 27, 2008
    Boston, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought this deserved its own thread as it seems to be part of a possible route to non-MLS DA clubs into the MLS player development pipeline. There's a lot of great development going on in some of these other DA clubs and it's great that the Crew will now be able to get in on some of this talent. I know that the Fire have other "satellite" clubs, but I don't think they've partenered with any club at the level the Michigan Wolves are, nevermind another DA club. It'd be great to see this turns into a trend and other MLS clubs follow suit. Had this happened last year, we might be watching Josh Gatt and Sean Cunningham in Crew jerseys as opposed to Molde.
    http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2011/05/25/academy-notes-crew-partner-michigan-wolves

2. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    And right now there's a controversy about a Sounder prospect because his youth developmental experience comes from an 'affiliate' before they were actually affiliated. If Nick Palodichuk can become a Sounder, then the precedent would seem to say that Saad could become a Crewman. (That's the word for a member of the Crew. I've decided it, you can all fall in line now ;)).

One big question with affiliate clubs is always what the arrangement will cost for players. Will the Crew be subsidizing the costs, and how much?

3. thetank123

thetank123 Member

Dec 28, 2009

The situations aren't the same. Palodichuck played in games, practiced and wore the Sounders uniform. Saad hasn't done that.

A better example is Corey Hertzog, who was denied HGP status with the Union.