Crew 2022 to '23 Off-season Roster Thread

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by TrueCrew, Oct 17, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or is that "take a fifth"... ;);)

CybrSlydr repped this.
  2. DrunkandDisorderly

Mar 17, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nah, plead the fifth while consuming an eighth!

kgilbert78 repped this.
  3. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do you know what a ratio is?

4. Tobias C

Tobias C Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Mar 6, 2014
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm fine with signing Christian Ramirez. Hopefully he comes cheap enough. Knowing us, I'm guessing he'll be on a contract closer to TAM level than the league minimum but probably nothing crazy. I could see something similar to BWP money.

As far as the players profile goes, does he score tons of goals? No. But he's not inept either. I have a feeling we're going to overpay and over commit to him but you do need someone experienced who is capable of holding down the spot in Cuchos absence. I think we're hoping JRR will get opportunities and maybe he will get the lions share of spare playing time that's available for strikers. Ramirez is just good enough of a player to push/compete with JRR for minutes. I know everyone hates it....but I honestly would rather have Kei Kamara in this spot because I know he's interested, has a good relationship with the coach, and that he's still solidly productive but c'est la vie.

5. TRUJDUB21

TRUJDUB21 Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Sep 28, 2021
    Yep look at his stats previously obviously before Minnesota joined MLS they were way better , but 2017-2028 in 50 MLS games he had 21 goals which is way better than 1 goal every 4 games.

Perhaps you missed my point about prior to LAFC or you don’t understand ratios or you never looked up his stats ? His mls numbers are just meh since leaving Minnesota.

6. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know exactly who Christian Ramirez is. I’ve seen him play more times than you bitch about Bez’s contracts.

Minnesota was tailor made for him, he even played for them in NASL, which is why the fans love him.

He was never the starter at LAFC.

He was a sort of starter in Houston, when they sucked.

No shit his stats weren’t as good when he’s not playing every single minute for a team built around him.

He was a fine player in MLS. Is he Zlatan? No. Is he prime Josef? No. Is he Ruidiaz? No.

I don’t hate the player. I haven’t seen him since he went to Scotland, so I can’t comment on what he looks like now. If Nancy is smart enough to use him properly, and put players in positions around him to take advantage of his skill set, then he’ll be a solid backup/rotational starter. The coach at Aberdeen that brought him in was fired soon after Ramirez came. The new guy didn’t rate him as much, thus the reduced playing time.

I don’t like three years. I don’t know the salary, but Bez had a tendency to overpay. So we’ll see about that.

TrueCrew, KCbus, TRUJDUB21 and 1 other person repped this.
  7. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All the Crew love to @TRUJDUB21, but this comment is laugh out loud funny.

catfish9, stanger, TRUJDUB21 and 6 others repped this.
  8. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    BTW, goals per 90 for Ramirez:

22/23 - 0.57 g/90
    21/22 - 0.38 g/90
    2020 - 0.27 g/90*
    2019 - 0.45 g/90
    2018 - 0.50 g/90
    2017 - 0.53 g/90

*In 2020 he played for Houston, which finished dead last in the west.

For reference, Cucho’s had a 0.62 g/90.

0.50 g/90 is a very good ratio. That is basically Zardes’ ratio with the Crew.

catfish9, TrueCrew, foozer and 1 other person repped this.
  9. Ball Kicker

Ball Kicker Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Aug 11, 2022
    Yep Ramirez is second fiddle to Cucho and his stats are perfectly fine for eventually ushering JRR to be the starter, not sure how much longer Cucho will be around so good to have that stopgap

10. crew2112

crew2112 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    Dayton, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Has JRR scored an MLS goal yet? From what I remember he looked dangerous but wasn’t extremely effective. I grant you that he is a solid prospect and I’m excited to see him get a chance to shine. But… just as we learned with Miguel Berry, consistency isn’t guaranteed.
    I think Ramirez will be who we wanted BWP and Hurtado to be. A solid backup.

11. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It’s like some people didn’t learn the lesson of Berry. It’s great we have Crew 2 guys coming through. They looked decent in small samples sizes. Other than Sands, none of them got consistent minutes. To count on all of them to hit is foolish. We need some guys with experience, though I’d prefer they weren’t all 30+ on multiyear deals.

catfish9, KCbus, TRUJDUB21 and 1 other person repped this.
  12. FootyHooligan32

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Aug 26, 2022
    Berry wasn’t a league MVP

TrueCrew repped this.
  13. Ball Kicker

Ball Kicker Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Aug 11, 2022
    JRR was MVP of a developmental league - a league which the first year the Capybaras just outclassed everyone top to bottom. Not sure how that will translate to a team where he is not the focal point and a league where he is not even close to being the best.

I hope he turns out to be great too but he will need to show he can score first before he gets handed the reins

TRUJDUB21, Kyle Crew and LaMacchia repped this.
  14. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great, give him minutes. He should not be a locked in #2 at such an important position though, he’s proven nothing in MLS.

Tobias C, TRUJDUB21 and Minnman repped this.
  15. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One can frequently lead to the other.....

16. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In Minny Ramirez was 21 goals in 50 games (at the MLS level). 50 in 88 prior to 2017.

What he is saying is that the 1 in 4 form he is displaying now is a step down from the 2 in 5 he had in MLS. And not likely to rebound.

TRUJDUB21 repped this.
  17. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    His ‘appearances’ this year are mainly sub appearances, not full games.

I posted his goals per 90 a few posts back, that’s more accurate.

TrueCrew repped this.
  18. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly.

I'm as happy as everyone else here that Crew 2 dominated in their first year out. It gives us a leg up in terms of having some players that can be considered ready to play in MLS. But players we get from Crew 2 should be expected to play secondary roles, not huge minutes. It's referred to as a "developmental league" or a "reserve league" for a reason.

Also, it can't be forgotten that all our domination happened in the league's first season of existence. There were certain teams that took it more seriously than others or didn't get their acts together right away. I heard on the Extratime podcast that there were some teams that, at times, didn't even have enough players available to have proper practices during the year. So while it's certainly a check in the PLUS column for us, we probably shouldn't overstate exactly how much of a checkmark it is. Maybe JRR being the MVP of the league is like being the fastest kid at fat camp.

19. WhiteHartShame

WhiteHartShame Member+

Nov 16, 2008
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ironically, I'll be in Edinburgh this week and I have have tickets for the Aberdeen vs Hearts match. I was interested in potentially seeing Ramirez play, then the rumors started flying. My Scottish friend, who is a huge Aberdeen supporter, said Ramirez hasn't got on well with the new manager, Jim Goodwin, and he thanked me for The Crew deciding to take him off their roster. He also said the supporter's knives are out for the new manager. Ramirez is still listed on the Aberdeen roster. He came on in the 99th min. today in a league cup match vs. Rangers, was that his final curtain call at Aberdeen?

Bill Archer and TRUJDUB21 repped this.
  20. TRUJDUB21

TRUJDUB21 Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Sep 28, 2021
    You think he can play 90m 34 games ?
    In Minnesota he was young and in his prime cmon man

his goals per 90 went up as a sub but I’m not impressed whatsoever and we both agree on the 3 year part

21. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, and he probably won’t start. We’ll play mainly 3-4-2-1, or ya know what, Nancy might actually be extremely flexible and play multiple formations. He might do things he never tried in Montreal. Maybe he looks at his personnel and adapts his tactics to that, and not the other way around.

Not everyone is a rigid asshat like Porter.

Ramirez is a backup / rotation guy, not a starter.

We need a backup, we signed a backup. Contract sucks, but the player should be fine, unless he’s completely fallen off.

I don’t watch Aberdeen, and neither do you, so we can’t really say for a while if this was a good move or not, so how about ya just settle down.

Tobias C, TrueCrew and TRUJDUB21 repped this.
  22. TRUJDUB21

TRUJDUB21 Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Sep 28, 2021
    I CANT settle down becsuse I think Bez made bad moves with Molino & Nagbe and that Ramirez might be a similar move. Hard to see without knowing contract details but if it’s 3 guaranteed years like Molino than it’s evident he is a bad GM

23. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Would that be the same Darlington Nagbe who was the Crew representative to.the All Star Game in 2022? If you think Nagbe isn't still one of Columbus' two or three best players then you don't know shit about soccer.

As for Molino, I just don't have the strength to explain it all.again.

Salacious Bum, Crew96Fan and stanger repped this.
  24. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You don't even know the details on the deal yet. Number of option years. Salary. Nada. You realize this makes you look silly, right?

25. TRUJDUB21

TRUJDUB21 Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Sep 28, 2021
    #775 TRUJDUB21, Jan 16, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2023
    I don’t give a shit about mls all star games.

Nagbe is a good player he is a tam level player he should be just under DP. But the guy wants to be in Columbus there is no reason he couldn’t take a small pay cut to get under the exception to be bought down. Exercising the contract is foolish it shows Bez doesn’t get it . We have a rich owner but we make moves recently like we are done spending big ( he even said don’t expect another DP)

It’s sad and nothing you can say about it looked good at the time yada yada

Molino contract is horrendous no sugar coating can make that bitter pill sweet. Idgaf about what talking heads said “ at the time “ because at the time we didn’t know how bad the contract details were and we offered more years that’s how we got him over Minnesota. It was a risky move and a bad one and you can’t rewrite history.

1yr deal or 2yr deal where we had a option to make it essentially 1yr would be acceptable risk. Bez should not get the benefit of the doubt going forward , quite the opposite!