Crew 2022 Roster Thread

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by Minnman, Feb 26, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    The worst.

porchlight and catfish9 repped this.
  2. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Zach Steffen period seems so long ago. We were damned lucky to have him.

Dan Milton, redi44crew, foozer and 7 others repped this.
  3. speedye1

speedye1 Member+

Dec 31, 2002
    He's an above average shot stopper, but below average with a ball in the air. He usually looks uncomfortable and indecisive dealing with crosses which likely held him back overseas.

4. catfish9

catfish9 Member+

Jul 14, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That is bad news. I think his play has steadily declined from about midway last season. When was the last great save he made? Go back and watch goals give up and tell me how many he could/should have saved...I think you'll be surprised how many. I know he had injury toward end of last season but I was hoping he returned to form he had when he 1st arrived. Not seeing it right now.

5. Paul171121

Paul171121 Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 14, 2018
    His last and maybe only good save last season was the one he got injured during/right before.

His distribution is what infuriates me. He can pass but makes overly safe choices.

6. TRUJDUB21

TRUJDUB21 Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Sep 28, 2021
    Zardes is available for trade and possibly being shopped

Im ok with it if we get another DP striker much more expensive, younger and talented

Berry is not and should not be a starter , fortunately we are playing well

Crew Chuck35 repped this.
  7. Tobias C

Tobias C Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Mar 6, 2014
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I still kind of find it hard to believe that we would part with our top striker when we dont have a reliable option under him (Berry was good last year but I dont think hes ready to have the keys to the car yet, and hasnt found his form this season yet)...and Hurtado is obviously garbage and just a warm body holding down the reserve, 3rd string striker spot.

Our we going to have a season where instead of only Zelarayan and the strikers scoring goals....we only have Zelarayan and our wingers scoring goals? That seems even worse since its basically the sole job of the striker. I dont want to go back to the Schoenfeld and Bedell days.

I'd be willing to part with Zardes, and get the maximum value we can from him while we still can...IF...we get a massive haul for him (like 2m in GAM)....AND....we go out and get a proven, experienced, and very recently productive striker. I know success is never a guarantee, especially with foreign guys acclimating and adjusting to our league....but it has to be someone who's as little of a risk of failure as possible. Like I'm talking Zelarayan level....bare minimum.

If they don't plan on going even bigger....dont even roll the dice.

TRUJDUB21 repped this.
  8. hardhead

hardhead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 2008
    NEO
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Zardes is in his final contract year. Don't think we'll get 2 mil for him...why not wait until he's a free agent?

9. TRUJDUB21

TRUJDUB21 Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Sep 28, 2021
    Idk but we should should of had a option year

you never let assets get to final year of a contract you extended or trade

10. jairadballerina

jairadballerina Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    C-Town
    You have to assume that a trade would mean the receiving club has worked out an extension (otherwise why would Zardes do it).

11. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This. Totally.

We don't really know where these rumors are coming from but I tend to doubt them. Maybe the team is trying to judge interest sort of on spec.

The basic fact is that you can't ship Gyassi and just hand the attack over to the Bus, not only because he still hasn't really proven much but also because,as you rightly point out, without Zardes on the roster, the Crew is one sloppy RedBulls tackle away from having to start Hurtado for the rest of the year.

And that's simply not acceptable. They're just not that crazy.

To me, it appears that they're giving Berry a really serious tryout. They need to see what they've got. They need to know if he's a starter. And so far, the returns are not promising; aside from his goal in the opener, which anyone would admit was kind of flukey, he's shown little to nothing.

So in the face of a trial which has been, to say the least, less than sterling, who in their right mind would go ahead and peddle Gyassi?

I'll hang up and wait for an answer.

There is only one possibility: they have a forward someplace that they like and are pretty sure they can sign. In that case, seeing what kind of money Zardes can bring might make sense.

And as has been noted, his value is not likely to ever be higher than it is right now, particularly with the possibility of him making the final 24 for Qatar.

So it certainly is the right time, but if you can't replace him you can't do it. Handing the team over to Miguel just is not a viable option

TRUJDUB21 and Tobias C repped this.
  12. foozer

foozer Member

Dec 19, 2005
    Indy
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The whole situation is weird to me, but I at least understand the line of thinking. You have an up and coming player who has shown some real nice flashes. If you think he can fully develop and supplant the incumbent starter, try and flip the incumbent for as much money as you can. The ole strike while the iron is hot theory.

But, even if you're going all in on Miguel Berry, you absolutely cannot have Hurtado be the first forward off the bench. Based on what we saw from him last year, I don't think he would even cut it on a USL Championship roster. Our track record of acquiring backup strikers in the Bez/Porter era has not been particularly inspiring (Adi, Nemeth, Hurtado, anyone else) and I am highly skeptical we'd bring in someone at a level that makes me think yeah, he deserves some minutes.

So if you're going to trade Zardes for assets, you assume those then get used to upgrade the roster elsewhere. I would suggest left back (and move Pedro back into midfield) or go big for another Zelarayan level attacker. I don't think the second will happen, so to me the likely result of trading Zardes for Garber bucks is a net downgrade to the current roster. This roster, in my opinion, doesn't have many years left in its peak window of opportunity.

For me, this isn't a trade I would make. Unless there's a Lucas level acquisition about to happen that no one has heard rumblings of, I just don't see the risk/reward calculation playing out in the Crew's favor. And if we're content with Hurtado as our first backup striker, then we don't deserve to make the playoffs.

13. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There are certainly several factors at play. If Zardes is in the final year of his contract, I would hope that the club and his agent have had contact on an extension. Perhaps they are not even close to agreeing on his value. Assuming he probably wants a 4 year deal that runs him up into his 35th birthday. Do you want to commit DP level money to him for the next 4-5 seasons?

Maybe this is either side putting pressure on the other through leaked news to a reporter. Would not be the first or last time that has happened.

I also subscribed to the theory of asset management. If he is going to walk for free this off-season then we might as well get something for him now. The exception is if you think you are a championship team and that piece is what you need to push you over the time then its worth the risk. As with all trades, whether or not this even makes sense comes down to the return on the value.

Colorado and KC seem like great landing spots for him in terms of solving a need. Maybe even Nashville as an option.

14. LaMacchia

LaMacchia Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Bill Archer repped this.
  15. Paul171121

Paul171121 Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 14, 2018
    FFx2PnZXMAEY30H.jpg

TRUJDUB21 repped this.
  16. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #41 Bill Archer, Mar 15, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2022
    HAH! I knew it!

It was the only thing that made any sense.

And I'll bet he's not the only one they're looking at.

From The Athletic

Seventy-one players have scored more goals for Liverpool than Divock Origi. The Belgium striker stands a long way down the list of iconic names in the club’s all-time list.

A tally of 39 in 166 appearances is hardly prolific. An Anfield career which has spanned seven seasons has, at times, lurched alarmingly off track.

Yet few in the club’s illustrious history boast such a remarkable collection of spine-tingling moments. Few have been responsible for so many splayed limbs. His ratio of goals that resonate is truly unprecedented.

“Divock Origi is a legend,” beamed Jurgen Klopp. “People will write books about him hopefully. If not, then I’ll do it.”

Just when you think Origi’s story at Liverpool is finished, he adds another chapter. Just when you convince yourself that his race is run, he drags you back in by proving that he’s still got so much more left in the tank.

“Go out there and be Divock,” were Klopp’s parting words to him when he replaced captain Jordan Henderson after 68 minutes at Molineux.

It was a bold substitution. Origi gave Liverpool’s attack a different dimension. He held the ball up and linked play intelligently. Four minutes into stoppage time, he turned an afternoon of frustration into one of jubilation.

Mohamed Salah’s first touch was exquisite as he latched on to Virgil van Dijk’s raking cross-field pass and burst past former team-mate Ki-Jana Hoever. The Egyptian picked out Origi, who controlled with his right foot six yards out and spun before firing home with his left. Cue wild scenes of celebration. What a way to mark his 100th outing for Liverpool off the bench.

And yeah, I think we could find someplace to play him. But come on....what does a guy like this cost?

Divock Origi - Best Skills , Speed and Goals | HD - YouTube

17. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    How did this turn into a Kirk Cousins thread? :p

That would make it worthwhile. Origi is 5 years younger than Gyasi.

18. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who is Devin?

19. LaMacchia

LaMacchia Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Absolutely no one of consequence. This is silly season at it's finest, in my opinion.

CybrSlydr repped this.
  20. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I noticed he is located up near me in Northeast Ohio, for what it is worth.

His choice of wording was odd. Young nerd interested in hottie. Highly unlikely going to happen. Good times.

I suppose in the age of Twitter (and Youtube, etc.) click to subscribe, follow for more unlikely acquisitions.

LaMacchia repped this.
  21. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does anyone else recall the old "MLS Rumors' website?

What a bunch of degenerates they were. One of the owners was this chick who everyone hated.

If you sent them an email saying that you had info regarding Ronaldo moving to KC, they'd type it up like God's own word.

AND PEOPLE BOUGHT IT. It was ridiculous.

This puts me in mind of that, only Devin doesn't have a thrid party to whitewash it through.

the_rickler repped this.
  22. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    No idea if there's any truth to the rumor or not but it doesn't seem impossible. Liverpool might be ready to move on or upgrade and his transfer value according to Transfermarkt is less than we paid for Lucas.

Even if we don't go after Origi, there are plenty of goalscorers in South America or Europe who might be an upgrade from Gyasi and are within the means of an MLS team.

23. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think they got this off reddit lol, someone mentioned Origi over there.

24. jairadballerina

jairadballerina Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    C-Town
    With more players on their way in to Newcastle, I'm sure Almiron will likely be one of the outgoing players in the summer. He already is not getting much playing time and not fitting into the system of the new coach. Not sure he fills a need on our team but you can't ignore a player with a lot of MLS success.

25. Tobias C

Tobias C Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Mar 6, 2014
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Im sure we could fit him in somehow. He could probably play on one of the wings, or play centrally sending Lucas out to the wing. If we keep Zardes and buy him down, I suppose it could be done. If we let him go, I think we would need to hang on to that DP spot for a new striker.

I would imagine Almiron will still find work in Europe somewhere...maybe another lower table EPL team, or possibly La Liga or Serie A?