Crew 2008 Home Schedule

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by fidlerre, Feb 4, 2008.

1. Matt D

Matt D Member

Mar 17, 2006
    new orleans
    I must have missed the part of the announcement where they said they were allowing jersey sponsors in order to "get more Eupropean." Outside of maybe the MLS: General forum and maybe the Yanks Abroad forum, people realize they did it for one reason: additional revenue.
    A higher pick would have mattered because.........???????????????
    I get the feeling Sigi would have taken Iro no matter how high our pick was.

2. PVancouver

PVancouver Member

Apr 1, 1999
    Likely, but he couldn't have known that at the time.

With a higher pick the Crew could have selected Michael Videira or Eric Avila instead of George Josten.

3. cleazer

cleazer Member+

May 6, 2003
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If this date holds up on the official schedule, this would be a good Independence Day tie-in.
    Fire + Fireworks!

4. General Disarray

General Disarray Legendary

Jul 7, 2005
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. CrewDust

CrewDust Member

May 6, 1999
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I had to go to Virgina last year for a cousin's wedding. The day after the wedding, we played at KC.

I have another wedding to attend this year. It's on April 12th. I guess my luck ended.

7. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Very well done. Considering that the OSU v. OU game will most likely be at noon (the VERY safe bet), and will be done by 3:30 if not earlier, we're in the best possible situation.

8. jackmann

jackmann Member

Feb 24, 2007
    Cowtown
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    what should be interesting is that the last game with DC is the last day of the Quarter Horse congress...Horse trailers anyone:rolleyes:

9. NUFC Fan

NUFC Fan Member+

Apr 8, 2007
    Cbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Did I miss why there aren't any Wednesday night games? Maybe reserved for USOC?

Also, does anyone suspect that Glidden being the sponser may be the reason why we are on 14 times nationally? I didn't go back and look, but last year it seemed like we were on ESPN2 once, FSC and HDnet three times.

10. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    Wow, we finally get a regular season ending game at Crew Stadium...

And people still find a way to complain about it.

11. Crewster

Crewster Member+

Jan 28, 2005
    Worthington
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They figure they will get a larger TVG audience from all those who are threatening to not renew season tickets.

12. Flyer Fan

Flyer Fan Member+

Apr 18, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    Have you never been to a game with horse trailers in the lot? Even when avoiding the Congress, there are usually a lot of trailers brought in before the Congress.

Furthermore, while it's not the best situation, what's the harm? I mean, I'd rather not tailgate in the middle of a bunch of trailers - though they can be nice wind shields - but I'd also rather not go the entire month without a home game.

13. General Disarray

General Disarray Legendary

Jul 7, 2005
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    it does make parking a whole lot harder, I usually park near the back of the lot. But when the horse show is going on it makes it more difficult and more congested.

14. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This reminds me of the game against Chicago when soccer fans had to park on the other side of the Historical Society building and use the hay ride tractors as shuttles to get to the stadium. I even remember driving a few blocks east on Hudson St., past I-71, and going south through the neighborhood "in order to avoid QHC traffic."

Chicago fans gave us heat on that deal for MONTHS afterwords. After that, someone got it through their heads to have us play on the road during the State Fair and QHC months.

Although, on the last day, it might not be as bad as it was that day against Chicago.

It's at 5 PM, so hopefully most of the horse trailers will be gone by that point.

Hopefully.

15. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    Personally I like the idea of finishing with DC at home. Traditionally they haven't done well in CCS and theoretically it could have playoff implications for us if we haven't already been eliminated. Thus it seems strange to see what could be a well attended match scheduled for the time when there is the least available parking. I'd have thought this would be the time to schedule the lowest expected attendance team. Colorado or San Jose or RSL frex. Maybe the FO or league office are pessimistic about our playoff chances and expect us to be out of it by then.

16. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    I took my sister and nephews to that match. The kids liked the hayride, I hated see Nowak dive repeatedly and the Crew blow a 2 goal lead to lose 3-2 in the rain.

17. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd say that attendance though sounds like a good idea, except for one exception.

Does anyone remember the season finale when the playoffs were on the line and everyone sandbagged their extra tickets for that game? Unfortunately, we were eliminated the night before, making our game essentially pointless.

Couple that with the QHC in town on that same day.

History never repeats
    I tell myself before I go to sleep

18. cleazer

cleazer Member+

May 6, 2003
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's DC. It's our ONLY game against DC this year. It'll be the final game of the season which means folks will be trading in their extra tickets. Unless we're eliminated from the playoffs in August, this game should be a sellout for sure.

Get there early if you want a decent parking spot.

19. JohnHolmesJr

JohnHolmesJr New Member

Jun 16, 2007
    The Ohio
    We could get on a roll and win at the start. This team might then think they actually can win and towards the end of the season we might think we can beat some of the teams we should have no chance against.

If we start of slow it is all over.

20. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    Oh yes, and I am sure that's the reason they decided against holding matches during the QHC - cause we are so interested in the "heat" that we get from fellow fans.

21. CelticCrew

CelticCrew Member

Apr 23, 2007
    f-ton
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    its our only home match against the scum, we invade their home on april 17th!

22. Own Goal Hat-Trick

Jul 28, 1999
    ColoRADo
    I'm just glad that its not another July 4th game in Colorado.

That means I can actually go to the game out here!

I'll definitely be at that one, and try to make the game in KC, SLC, maybe houston, too.

23. kebzach

kebzach Member

Dec 30, 2000
    Greenfield, WI
    Even last year the schedule wasn't balanced.