Crew 2

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by ZipSix, Dec 6, 2021.

1. Paul171121

Paul171121 Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 14, 2018
    Reminded me of the Montreal playoff game.

2. TRUJDUB21

TRUJDUB21 Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Sep 28, 2021
    What a game ! Fantastic finish

3. MLSinCleveland

MLSinCleveland Member+

Oct 12, 2006
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Capybara Conference Crown!

4. FootyHooligan32

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Aug 26, 2022
    That was the greatest game of soccer I’ve ever witnessed live. The overtime comeback but also because of how great it felt to beat those ***hole Toronto players. Most misbehaved antagonizing team I’ve ever seen.

y’all who never watched Crew 2 this year sorely missed out.

5. cleazer

cleazer Member+

May 6, 2003
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    $10 tickets for the final at Lower.Com Field next Saturday

Ball Kicker, Tobias C, Kyle Crew and 2 others repped this.
  6. MLSinCleveland

MLSinCleveland Member+

Oct 12, 2006
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    General or only for STHs?

7. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is anyone a little surprised they're not just keeping it at HCS? That's where they played all season; that's what they're used to. Are they conceding a little bit of homefield advantage by playing someplace with different turf, different sightlines, etc?

8. cleazer

cleazer Member+

May 6, 2003
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. cleazer

cleazer Member+

May 6, 2003
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My GUESS is that HCS is only staffed/prepped/cleaned/winterized/whatever to accommodate so many folks right now, and they're thinking that a bigger crowd than they can handle there might show up on Saturday.

OR

Maybe they're just rewarding Crew 2 with a game at the shiny place.

10. Paul171121

Paul171121 Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 14, 2018
    Or the reason why we never played games at HCS in October: Quarterhorse.

Now let this thread descend into arguments about necessary parking and the fairgrounds commission.

Kyle Crew, TRUJDUB21 and MLSinCleveland repped this.
  11. Kryptonite

Kryptonite Fancy Title Here

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It seems that law has been on the books for so long that anyone under a certain age (of which I'm sure MLS Next Pro players all are) would have it ingrained in their mind...that it wouldn't even be a force of habit in the first few games after a law was changed.

TRUJDUB21 and MLSinCleveland repped this.
  12. Kryptonite

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #912 Kryptonite, Oct 2, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2022
    Regarding the location of the game:

The horse show was going on today. Sidenote: The lady at the parking booth didn't know how to scan passes and let a ton of people in for free. She looked at it and waved me in. A screenshot would have sufficed.

I put the date in my phone as soon as it was announced, so it's not exactly a last-minute thing. They've played there a few times there. They played there when the first team was in Cincinnati, on Labor Day Saturday and at least one or two other times.

There's been games at HCS in February-November. Can it handle the weather? Of course it can.

If they were expecting a huge crowd, it wouldn't be that crazy to open up the upper east side on an as-needed basis. Whatever staff they've used so far is just regular CFO/CSC guys. There's been a few hourly people, but not many. If they were expecting 5500 or whatever would trigger the need to open additional seating, it wouldn't be hard.

I'm going with "it's just a reward."

MLSinCleveland repped this.
  13. MFRONE

MFRONE Member+

Jul 24, 2000
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Annoyed with the 5:30 kick on Saturday, going to interfere with Ohio State and will probably hurt the attendance.

14. TRUJDUB21

TRUJDUB21 Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Sep 28, 2021
    Idk it’s a Ohio St away gm at Mich st ( who sucks )

Weather looks like sunshine and 53

Crew play Wednesday & Sunday

My biggest concern is will the first team use JRR & Farsi? Crew2 can win without them but they are much more dangerous with them.

Hopefully a reporter will ask about ….. never mind smh

15. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Heck, they don't even remember when there was such a thing as a legal backpass. But it was an interesting time. Lots of issues with refs "I don't care what FIFA says" (but league rules stated the use of FIFA rules, except subs). Had the same problems with the change in the kickoff rule. Part of it was Ohio high school rules, which were slow to change.

16. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I doubt there is much of an OSU and Crew 2 overlap.

Ball Kicker, Minnman, TrueCrew and 2 others repped this.
  17. LaMacchia

LaMacchia Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seconded.

TRUJDUB21 repped this.
  18. MLSinCleveland

MLSinCleveland Member+

Oct 12, 2006
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Got my tickets! Is there anywhere I can prepurchase parking?

19. DrunkandDisorderly

Mar 17, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Hmm, my wedding anniversary is on Saturday. Should I start constructing my doghouse now or wait until after I share the plans for a romantic date night?

20. MLSinCleveland

MLSinCleveland Member+

Oct 12, 2006
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What's more romantic than Capybaras playing soccer?

21. Paul171121

Paul171121 Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 14, 2018

kgilbert78 and MLSinCleveland repped this.
  22. Kryptonite

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The NCAA and high schools are definitely regulated by FIFA, but regarding subs, logos on fields and other things, they're miles apart.

Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if there's some rules for high schools that vary by state.

Then there's sub-HS levels that I wouldn't be surprised do their own thing and it's soccer only in the sense of "score on a goal with a ball." Yes, they're technically part of FIFA, but if you have everyone on the field at the same time or unlimited subs, is it *really* FIFA?

23. Kryptonite

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It looks like it's not yet set up.

https://arenadistrict.parkmobile.io/venues/lower-com-field/events/134962

If not there, then it'll probably be $5 in the lot north of the stadium, like it was for previous Crew 2 games.

I've also heard rumblings of a tailgate in the triangle.

24. DrunkandDisorderly

Mar 17, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    #924 DrunkandDisorderly, Oct 3, 2022
    You should see the rules of my adult league. I'm pretty sure the person who made them up has watched under ten soccer games in their life.

Edit: Found them! I bolded a few of the gems I came across in a quick scan.

New Albany Adult Soccer League Rules – Fall 2022
    All players must be registered and have a signed waiver on file before taking the field.
    CO-ED RULES AND TEAM SIZE
    This is a co-ed league. Shin guards are required.
    Each team shall field no more than 11 players (with at least 2 females) at any one time.
    There is no maximum limit to the number of females which must be on the field.
    If one team has 2 females and the other team has none, 1 of the females should
    volunteer to play with the other team.
    If 1 team has 1 female and the other team has none, the team without females should
    play down one player unless both captains agree that it is ok to add a male player to
    balance the field.
    BEGINNING OF GAME
    The team that wins the coin toss at the start of the game will have first choice to kick-off,
    or choose a goal to defend. The referee will choose who calls the toss or odd/even
    selection.
    The referees start the clock at the scheduled time for all games.
    KICKOFF
    Kickoff consists of the ball being placed at midfield. The ball cannot be shot at the goal
    with the first touch, and must be touched by another offensive player to be a goal.
    Therefore, it takes at least two offensive touches to score. If the ball is shot from kickoff
    and goes into the goal with no other offensive player touching it, the possession goes to
    the opposing team as a goal kick.

TIME
    The game will be divided into (2) 40-minute halves separated by a brief 5-minute
    halftime. There will be a running clock maintained by a referee who will advise both
    teams when there is one minute remaining in each half. Short, 2-minute water breaks
    may be allowed, but the clock will keep running. The clock will stop during injury time-
    outs. Any team intentionally delaying, (kicking the ball far out of bounds) will allow the
    referee (at his/her discretion) to stop the clock.
    Regular season games that get cancelled due to weather, lights, etc. will be official if
    they reach halftime, however, any game that is cancelled before half-time or before the
    game begins will be made up.
    SUBSTITUTIONS
    There is no limit to the amount of substitutions each team can make. Substitutions
    should be frequent enough to ensure all players get time on the field. Captains may
    make substitutions at any time. All substitute players should notify the referee before
    entering the game, there is no substituting “on the fly.” Substitutions may occur during
    any stoppage of play, such as: Throw-ins, goal kick, corner kick, or after a goal is
    scored.
    OUT OF BOUNDS
    Anytime the ball goes out of bounds over either sideline, a throw- in will ensue. The
    person throwing in the ball must throw the ball overhead with both hands and keep both
    feet remaining on the ground out-of-bounds until the ball is released.
    Anytime the ball crosses an endline, a corner kick or goal kick will ensue.
    a. Last touched by a defender results in a corner kick. Ball is placed on nearest corner
    and kicked in by offensive team. Goals may be scored directly on corner kicks. All
    players must be outside the goal box. Defenders must be five paces from the corner
    kick.

b. Last touched by attacker results in a goal kick by the defense. Offensive players must
    be ten paces from a goal kick.

MIDFIELD (HALF)
    A player cannot score a goal from the opposite half unless touched again on the other
    half by the offense or defense before entering the goal.

OFFSIDE
    The referee’s call stands. If the referee misses the call, discuss it with the captains who
    will determine if further action is warranted.
    SLIDING
    There is no sliding of any sort on the field. No slide tackles and no other sliding, period,
    in any circumstance on the pitch even if no opposing player is near the ball. Slips and
    accidental falls will be up to referee discretion.
    THREE POINTS OF CONTACT
    A player cannot have three points of their body touching the ground when the ball
    strikes them or it will result in a free kick for the opposing team. Example: putting a knee
    down while both feet are on the ground to block a shot.
    Scoop shots are not allowed directly from free kicks that result in a direct goal. If the ball
    is scooped from a free kick, the ball must be redirected by a teammate or opposing
    player before going into the net to count as a goal. If the ball is scooped on a free kick
    and not touched by any player, but goes in the net, it will be a goal kick for the opposing
    team.
    HAND BALL
    If the ball strikes the outstretched arm of any player it will result in a free kick for the
    opposing team. This is up to the discretion of the referee. If a shot from the offensive
    team is within the frame of the goal and strikes the arm or is blocked by the arm of a
    defensive player, this will result in a penalty kick. This is also up to the discretion of the
    referee. Yellow/red card may be given for intentionally blocking a goal with hands.
    REFEREE
    Please understand that any touching, threatening or abusive language and behavior
    towards the referee will deem suspension from the league. If needed, the Police will be
    called and reports filed. Any abuse towards the referee will not be tolerated and action
    taken accordingly.
    YELLOW CARD
    Yellow cards are given by the referee for any act that can disrupt the flow of the game.
    This includes aggressive or reckless play, profanity, intentional hand balls, kicking the
    ball far out of bounds to run the clock, etc. Referees will use their best discretion, as
    yellow cards are a last resort to be sure the rules are being followed. Additionally, two
    yellows in one game results in a red card.
    RED CARD
    If a player receives a red card, or 2 yellow cards in the same game, they will be
    disqualified from the current game and must leave. This includes all parking areas. Red
    carded players have 2 minutes by the referee’s watch to leave the facility. Their team
    must play down a player for the remainder of the game, and may not substitute for that
    player. The team must continue to play down a player in 1st and 2nd overtime. Any one
    player receiving two red cards in one season will be out until the following season.
    FIGHTING
    There is absolutely no fighting. Please walk off the field or substitute yourself out if you
    feel you’re near that moment. If a player is involved in a fight, there is minimum two
    game suspension. There are no refunds if this occurs and the team/player may not be
    allowed back into the league depending on the severity of the situation. This is a coed
    league for fun and recreation, fighting has no place here.
    ABUSIVE LANGUAGE
    Swearing or cursing at yourself or someone else may result in yellow or red card subject
    to referee discretion.

25. Kryptonite

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #925 Kryptonite, Oct 3, 2022
    Is that five of your kid's paces or five paces from Shaquille O'Neal? Get the kid out there and pace out five when you're defending.

Something-something Ritchie Williams.