Crest/Kit/Name?

Discussion in 'Ottawa Fury FC' started by AdamSoucie, Mar 6, 2009.

1. ironcub14

ironcub14 Member

Jun 16, 2005
    Club:
    Ottawa Fury
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Haha, I'm still relatively new to Ottawa and very new to NASL and PDL. I just learned that there was a fire at Parliament in 1916 or smth, so, a Parliament on fire, why not! :)

Hey, my simple idea was to take a silhouette of Parliament and have it above or behind or in the background of the 1st or the 2nd emblem. I am no graphic designer but I would hope a designer could work their magic and it wouldnt look too shabby!

I would love for not just the flame but for the entire crest to be something that will serve as a strong image for years to come, you know? But you are right, the flame will be the main component because it will be easy to replicate or put on various stuff to sell or paint.

Oh btw, I'm enjoying this debate, it's making me think more about the crest and the name and the club, which is exactly what I am here for. Im also always for more perspectives. I did also thank the club publicly for letting the fans provide their input for the name and the emblem. I just think that they could do just that much better, with both the name and the emblem!

bullsear repped this.
  2. ironcub14

ironcub14 Member

Jun 16, 2005
    Club:
    Ottawa Fury
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Oh, and now you got me curious about what happened to those two clubs. See, I am trying to learn about NASL and USL now! :)

3. aetraxx7

aetraxx7 Member+

Jun 25, 2005
    Des Moines, IA
    Club:
    Des Moines Menace
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Then buy your own club...
    I'm not saying that the owners couldn't make a crest that represented the city and served their marketing purposes. But why would any owner choose to do something that is not in-line with their professional interests? If their research and whatnot determined that a distinct identity can be more easily protected (legally) and marketed more efficiently, then they would be fools to do otherwise. At the end of the day it is their money we are talking about.
    Variations of your post can be found in every expansion thread on Big Soccer, regardless of league. It is easy to say what you would do when you are talking about other people's money.
    In my opinion, the team has put forward two very solid logo concepts and a usable word mark. Their band (weak as it may be) is clearly identified, the ties to the city are there (via the flame and Senators' colors), and they clearly represent a soccer team without throwing a Telestar in for good measure. Overall, this is one of the best branding efforts put forth in any of our lower leagues.

4. ironcub14

ironcub14 Member

Jun 16, 2005
    Club:
    Ottawa Fury
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Eh, I'll probably spend too much time on BigSoccer to ever make enough money in construction to ever buy myself a soccer club :)

Hey, Fury's been gracious enough to ask for input on their crest/logo. I'm just repeating the same thing I said in their FB and their website, but in more detail here, cuz it's fun to debate here. I am just providing a small amendment here that I think would make them more money in the long run. They are, for sure, free to disagree.

I do hope that they've done their marketing research, but based on responses on their FB/Twitter and the forums, I see quite a lot of ppl (let me guess about 1/3 of the ppl who have replied) underwhelmed by all 3 choices. I did vote for one of em and expect one of em to become the crest, but still hopin they will consider options outside of the 3 choices.

Overall, this process has got me really excited about the club, so I think they succeded in their main objective.

bullsear repped this.
  5. aetraxx7

aetraxx7 Member+

Jun 25, 2005
    Des Moines, IA
    Club:
    Des Moines Menace
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fair enough

Which is a great thing.

6. ironcub14

ironcub14 Member

Jun 16, 2005
    Club:
    Ottawa Fury
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    I'm also going to say this as somebody who wants his euro-snob friends to follow the MLS and the future NASL local club more, instead of caring only about whats happening in the Premier League and the CL, because you need all of them to be on board too for footy in North America to go to the next level. There's still masssive untapped potential, and I see so many of my friends who could get behind MLS or the Canadian national team but dont care at all.

The first thing they will care about is who's playing for the club, but on Google and Wikipedia, the very next thing they are going to look at is the crest and the kit. You want these to look professional and look similar enough to what you see in England, Spain and Italy. Right now, I'm not sure if any of the 3 crests will be taken seriously. It can be on TSN or Sportsnet all it wants and be accepted by mainstream media, but the Euro-snob crowd will ignore all this in bliss.

Sound mgmt of the club will obviously be the most important factor, but the crest is that 3-second opportunity to make a good impression on all potential fans of the club. That's why it's so important, and I still think they're missing a key ingredient. Or, just sign a marquee player and none of this will matter :)

7. Sporting Real

Sporting Real Member+

Jun 29, 2011
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wait...is Ottawa gonna black, red and white as well? That's 4 teams with that color scheme. Atlanta, San Antonio, Virginia and Ottawa. Any chance of something different, because that's awful redundant.

But hey, Ottawa fans, I got your opening day tifo ready for you: A giant club logo, and then using the Game of Thrones font, the words 'Ours is the Fury - est 2014' Boom. Your welcome

8. aetraxx7

aetraxx7 Member+

Jun 25, 2005
    Des Moines, IA
    Club:
    Des Moines Menace
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At least in Ottawa's case it makes sense due to continuity. Their former and future CFL teams, 67ers, and Senators all wear that color scheme. Wearing something other than black, red, and white probably wouldn't go over very well.

9. ironcub14

ironcub14 Member

Jun 16, 2005
    Club:
    Ottawa Fury
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
  10. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So when will the results be revealed?

Personally I'd go with Option 1, the only one with the words inside a team crest. Also that shape isn't really taken yet in America whereas 2 looks a bit generic...
    [​IMG]

11. ironcub14

ironcub14 Member

Jun 16, 2005
    Club:
    Ottawa Fury
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    I was just thinking about how the kids of Habs fans in Ottawa and Gatineau are growing up to become Sens fans, and I thought this club could play that role as well.

So, even though I know the club already has its name and everything, I thought FC Ottawa-Gatineau, or Ottawa-Gatineau FC, would have been pretty sick as well.

12. OleGunnar20

OleGunnar20 Member+

Dec 7, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    and instead of going with option 1 above, the one option that was truly interesting and unique, they went with boring as shite option 2 ... well at least they didn't go with option 3, tho that isn't saying much:

http://www.nasl.com/index.php?id=3&newsid=4650

13. OleGunnar20

OleGunnar20 Member+

Dec 7, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    and for some reason this team makes me think of:

14. ironcub14

ironcub14 Member

Jun 16, 2005
    Club:
    Ottawa Fury
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Hell, good enough, I guess :)

15. bullsear

bullsear Member

Feb 17, 2009
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    I think they picked the best one. What you call "interesting and unique" I call "confused." What are those ribbons coming out of it? There's certainly nothing to suggest that they're flames. If anything, they look more like ram horns. And the presence of the maple leaf detracts from them in either case.

And think about trying to put them on a hat or t-shirt without also putting the full crest or the name of the team. Can't be done and still look good.

I think they went with they're best, most direct option, and it will actually allow them to use choice #3 as a wordmark. Bet on seeing it, but with the flame from option #2.

16. Sporting Real

Sporting Real Member+

Jun 29, 2011
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Really good point. Shame they couldn't have found a way to work their Backyard Burger flame onto the shield from design 1, it's very unique and would have stood out alongside the other new shield logos that have come out

17. longballer

longballer Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Club:
    Carolina Railhawks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let's hope they announce Backyard Burger as their new kit sponsor. It's not Fly Emirates, but it will do. ;)

Sporting Real repped this.
  18. Sporting Real

Sporting Real Member+

Jun 29, 2011
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

If they were to ever be sponsors I'd laugh for hours

19. TheJoeGreene

TheJoeGreene Member+

Aug 19, 2012
    The Lubbock Texas
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Solid logo/shield. Definitely the best of the 3 though none were anything special.

20. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
  21. Bluesfan

Bluesfan Member+

DC United
    Aug 12, 2000
    Tampa
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
  22. bullsear

bullsear Member

Feb 17, 2009
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    [​IMG]
    For the lazy.

I'm also a big fan of numbers 1 & 2. Both are unique for the league and are very well executed. I think I prefer the first, but that PSG-styled second is really striking as well--and I have a hunch it would sell better.

Soon-to-be Fury fans should be very pleased with these three choices. Based on the previous supporter polls, the FO seem to be putting forth two "real" choices with a throw away third. In this case, I think it's clear which is the throw away and which they're legitimately interested in.

... unless they're somehow trying to appeal to DC United and Adidas kit fans with that third little number.

23. ironcub14

ironcub14 Member

Jun 16, 2005
    Club:
    Ottawa Fury
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Loving, loving #1 and #2. The one small issue I have with #1 is the two-coloured shorts. I think doing that to the shorts is taking it a bit too far :)

24. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
    +1,
    Trop, c'est too much and too much c'est trop

25. aetraxx7

aetraxx7 Member+

Jun 25, 2005
    Des Moines, IA
    Club:
    Des Moines Menace
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The second one is gorgeous. I love the PSG-style and it just seems to fit. The first would be great too, but something about the two-tone shorts is just off.

brentgoulet repped this.