Crest and Jersey:New or Same? Ideas.....

Discussion in 'Vancouver Whitecaps' started by antnee7898, Jul 27, 2008.

1. BSGuy321

BSGuy321 Member

Sep 2, 2008
    very classy

2. HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing Member+

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Dec 1, 2008
    TEXAS
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. Hube

Hube Member

May 30, 2004
  4. Nacional Tijuana

Nacional Tijuana St. Louis City

St. Louis City SC
    May 6, 2003
    San Diego, Calif.
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is Seagate a company with a prominent place in Vancouver? I looked them up and they appear to be from Watsonville, down near Santa Cruz. Cool logo, regardless.

5. phreakydancin

phreakydancin New Member

Jan 13, 2009
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Seagate CEO Steve Luczo is part of the Whitecaps' ownership group.

6. JohnnyRanger

JohnnyRanger Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 30, 2008
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Greg Kerfoot also sold Seagate or Business Objects or whatever, they all belong SAP at the end of the day.

kerfoot made his zillions with Seagate/Crystal/BusinessObjects

7. Jahinho_Guerro

Apr 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I like this one 90% the other 10 is that the Whitecaps need to change to Vancouver.

The team should be called Vancouver F.C., and then the nickname be Whitecaps, kind of like Newcastle FC being Magpies, its better for the MEDIA to describe them as the Whitecaps, rather then have the whitecaps on the logo, and refer to them as Vancouver FC.

Might end up as saying VFC, to close to TFC, and we can al know how this will end up.

8. phreakydancin

phreakydancin New Member

Jan 13, 2009
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    That would be like referring to Blackburn Rovers FC as Blackburn FC and only colloquially referring to them as the Rovers (c.f. Bolton Wanderers, Kidderminster Harriers, etc.).

Vancouver Whitecaps FC is how they should be called properly.

9. Jahinho_Guerro

Apr 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada

yea your 100% RIGHT, but atleast they have something that is illustrating the city like the B, or the K,

make it like a VWFC, or Vancouver on it ,

you know what i mean

10. NYFC

NYFC Member

Jul 30, 2006
    Brooklyn
    Agreed. No more cheesy names. Leave that to the nicknames.

11. phreakydancin

phreakydancin New Member

Jan 13, 2009
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    With all due respect to the outsiders weighing in on this issue, I would like to hear from someone from the Vancouver area who doesn't think they should be called either Whitecaps FC or Vancouver Whitecaps FC.

Cheesy? Hardly. It's unique, original, indicative of the local landscape (where the wind-blown ocean meets the snow-capped mountains), and it has served us well since 1974.

Do you think Bristol Rovers FC, Queens Park Rangers FC or Wolverhampton Wanderers FC are cheesy names? How is Vancouver Whitecaps FC any different?

12. PG Tips

PG Tips Member

Oct 5, 2008
    Vancouver
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    In my opinion, if there was only a possibility of 3 choices, it could only be these, with either 1 or 2 being my first choice.

1 Vancouver Whitecaps FC
    2 Whitecaps FC
    3 Vancouver FC (Whitecaps used as the fan chosen nickname).

...ps. I'm going to try to get some new designs up. Work and things has got me too tired and uninspired to bother with repetitive photoshop editing lately.

13. WhiteCapArmy

WhiteCapArmy Member

Mar 24, 2009
    vancouver
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    it should be like it is now Vancouver whitecaps football club and they just use whitecaps or Vancouver whitecaps on crest and stuff but when they talk about the club they will say whitecaps fc or Vancouver whitecaps fc ect.

14. Black13

Black13 New Member

Jun 11, 2009
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I really like the ones with the boat on them. Ties in with the big wave and gives it more of a nautical feel. Which will be appropriate for the move to BC Place. Way closer to the water then Swanguard.

15. WhiteCapArmy

WhiteCapArmy Member

Mar 24, 2009
    vancouver
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    should be Vancouver whitecaps football club, we have had that name since the 70's and were the 86ers for a while so I like PG tips logo where it has the 1986 and whitecaps in it. and the nickname is the caps so none of theis Vancouver fc crap that is lame and has nothing to do with the history of the club.

16. JohnnyRanger

JohnnyRanger Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 30, 2008
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    The Official Name of the Club is Whitecaps FC, and the USL Division 1 team is currently Vancouver Whitecaps F.C.

I would prefer to leave it as is, or Change it to Whitecaps FC plain and simple.

The Problem is North American Sports, even in Soccer, has names like this

__________(City or Region's Name) _______________(Team Nickname)

and then you even have teams like Chivas USA, or Real Salt Lake.

Soccer and Rugby, specifically and historically go by club names, which often times do not mention the city or region, examples:
    Rangers FC (Glasgow)
    Arsenal (London)
    Celtic FC (Glasgow)

However the Lions Share of the clubs still have the city/region/town etc as part of the name, currently Arsenal is the only BPL team with a club name not indicative of City/Region/Location.

As far as the caps, historically the name Vancouver Whitecaps FC holds no more historical value than the other names of the team, and soccer in this city:
    Here is a link to Krammerhead's page that gives a pretty good timeline and facts about the history and lineage of the club at present
    Prior to the Whitecaps, the Vancouver Royals played in Vancouver, but this of course has nothing to do with the Whitecaps.

The NASL Team was called: VANCOUVER WHITECAPS
    The CSL, APSL, then A-League, Team was called: Vancouver 86ers
    Once Stadnyk walked away from the team and Kerfoot bought it, he dropped the Word Vancouver from the team name, logo etc, and team went about it's renaissance as Whitecaps FC in the USL.

There's your lesson in history for the day.

Thanks to wikipedia and krammerhead. ;)

17. whiteisthecolour

whiteisthecolour Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 10, 2007
    Miyazaki, Japan
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Most of the info from wikipedia is probably from Krammerhead's site anyways. *peering over to the references section*

18. Unak78

Unak78 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 17, 2007
    PSG & Enyimba FC
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
    I kind of imagined that BMO might go ahead and sponsor all three canadian teams, although Montreal already has a sponsor. Why not?!

19. Johnnie Monster

Jul 9, 2005
    Richmond, BC
    As the 86ers, the club had Safeway as a sponsor of their gold & blue unis... and when they switched to red / black, they had a jersey featuring Canterbury on the front and ARCO on a horizontal strip at the back under the number.

20. Krammerhead

Krammerhead Guest

I wouldn't want BMO on our kits.

21. Nacional Tijuana

St. Louis City SC
    May 6, 2003
    San Diego, Calif.
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gotta go where the money is, but I do like the Safeway logo and the Seagate logo myself.

Begs an interesting question: what if some MLS team wanted more than one sponsor. Say, front and shirt tail. Are there any MLS rules for or against this?

22. Krammerhead

Krammerhead Guest

I haven't a clue whether there's a rule or not, but I don't see why there should be.

23. Nacional Tijuana

St. Louis City SC
    May 6, 2003
    San Diego, Calif.
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think there actually is for the EPL, England's top league, but it's not true for their lower leagues, nor obviously ours.

24. Unak78

Unak78 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 17, 2007
    PSG & Enyimba FC
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
    Why not, they already sponsor your team. Besides that, there is precedent in the football world for rival teams to wear the same sponsor on thier kits.

25. WhiteCapArmy

WhiteCapArmy Member

Mar 24, 2009
    vancouver
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    this might be wierd but I think it be cool to have the names and stuff on the back like they have in the bundesliga and have whitecaps FC were the name would normally be and have the names at the bottom.
    [​IMG]