Crest and Jersey:New or Same? Ideas.....

Discussion in 'Vancouver Whitecaps' started by antnee7898, Jul 27, 2008.

1. antnee7898

antnee7898 Member

Oct 19, 2007
    South Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well lets get this going. IMO the crest and name of team is just fine the way it is, however, the jersey could or could not pass. Change may be in order if/when Vancouver gets into MLS. Any sponcer ideas out there as well? Thoughts?

2. mednus

mednus New Member

Apr 10, 2007
    Ontario
    Keep everything relatively the same.
    History matters NASL to the, A-league to, USL ,then finally MLS.

3. canuckred

canuckred Member

Dec 15, 2007
    Keep it the same. I can't think of any other team in MLS besides LAG who wear white at home. In a League where every team wears blue or red some originality helps. Props to the sounders on the green kits BTW

4. antnee7898

antnee7898 Member

Oct 19, 2007
    South Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True, not that Vancouver should, but purple is a color that has not happend yet. The checkerd pattern also, though meh. What Major Vancouver Companies are based there that might look good on the jersey?

5. Durian Durian

Durian Durian New Member

Jul 10, 2008
    Vancouver
    I imagine
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Will probably be premier sponsors as well as Saputo. A lot of clubs in the league don't have shirt sponsorship deals though, so the Whitecaps might just have typography across the front as they always have and probably a professional graphic designer take helm of the kit. If an ad sponsor appears, I don't think they'd mess with tradition too much, and probably just slap it beneath the WHITECAPS or VANCOUVER band as that is as much a part of the tradition of the kit as the stripe across the chest.

They've had one shirt sponsor in the past, Strongbow Cider which had a logo on the right side of the chest opposite the manufacturer badge.

The logo will be updated most likely, but I imagine the original Mountain/Wave image will be retained, just the ball and the shield will be updated like they did back in 1999 to the old logo. If ain't broke, don't fix it.

6. Durian Durian

Durian Durian New Member

Jul 10, 2008
    Vancouver
    [​IMG]
    I'd like BC Hydro (...ponics ;)) on the shirt for an inside British Columbia joke lol.

and antnee, you were asking about local BC companies, well our gas heating provider was recently bought out by investors from Houston and rebranded, maybe you'd like to see this one;
    [​IMG]

7. canuckred

canuckred Member

Dec 15, 2007
    Definitely would like this crest back. While I approve of the current design is just a little to cartoony for me

[​IMG]

8. mlssoccer

mlssoccer New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Vancouver
    Aquilini Investment Group :p. Just kidding, I hope not.

I agree with the above that Telus, BMO are good ones.

9. Durian Durian

Durian Durian New Member

Jul 10, 2008
    Vancouver
    And finally, if Aquillini muscles his way into ownership power, he would probably put this on the Whitecaps shirt as the primary sponsor :D.

[​IMG]

Post Script;
    Seattle Sounders FC used the same font as the Canucks on their website (not sure if they still do) and I just realized that I use Paul Allen's DOS font the irony.

10. mlssoccer

mlssoccer New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Vancouver

Wow you and I have ESP :D

11. RedRover

RedRover BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 15, 2007
    Agreed. The typefont is perfect to use. Also, make the primary kit all white with blue trim and a blue band at the front of the shirt with WHITECAPS on the front in that type. Or a sponsor logo like Telus would be perfect.

12. canuckred

canuckred Member

Dec 15, 2007
    not cluttery enough

[​IMG]

that's a real Canucks jersey!

13. antnee7898

antnee7898 Member

Oct 19, 2007
    South Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    AH, uh sorry bout that? :]

14. mlssoccer

mlssoccer New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Vancouver
    I am not sure how this works exactly, but would the Whitecaps be forced to change their logo/jersey slightly since (correct me if I'm wrong) but the MLS partners with Adidas, whereas USL partners with Umbro, and Adidas may have their own requirements??

15. Durian Durian

Durian Durian New Member

Jul 10, 2008
    Vancouver
    But not ESPN, because they just don't have it in Canada (and all its MLS coverage).

16. antnee7898

antnee7898 Member

Oct 19, 2007
    South Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I belive that would be a given, however they could just put the stripes on the sholders and the one stripe along the front as it is now, I think. Is that stripe an Umbro thing or a Whitecap thing???

17. antnee7898

antnee7898 Member

Oct 19, 2007
    South Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wha :eek:

18. Durian Durian

Durian Durian New Member

Jul 10, 2008
    Vancouver
    lol, its all good. I don't think theres many things owned by Vancouverites. To be honest, I don't even think theres many native Vancouverites.

They'll probably give us a generic template like they do to all the other clubs, and jazz up the band across the middle slightly.

19. mlssoccer

mlssoccer New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Vancouver

Good ol' Mean Girls :p

20. Durian Durian

Durian Durian New Member

Jul 10, 2008
    Vancouver
    We've had the stripe since the 1970's
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I think they have some kind of deal with TSN (The Sports Network) Canada's equivalent as we have the same Sports Centre graphics (but with the Canadian "Centre" not "Center") and all the Champions League and other major soccer coverage is ESPN feeds (You'll often hear Tommy Smyth mention TSN and Canada during marquee telecasts when he says hello to all the countries that are picking up the English language feed of the game).

21. Durian Durian

Durian Durian New Member

Jul 10, 2008
    Vancouver
    Lol, Tina Fey jacked the joke from that Raymond show, Something About Raymond? I don't watch TV that much, I apologize. Its an old one.

22. Durian Durian

Durian Durian New Member

Jul 10, 2008
    Vancouver
    No, thats an Atlanta Thrashers jersey!

23. loben52

loben52 New Member

Mar 26, 2008
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    i love the NASL crest. I think we should updated it, minus the "soccer" ball...

our jersies right now are pretty awesome but i'm not sure how we can have an advertiser in the front without getting rid of the strip in he front..

24. santeroatomico

santeroatomico New Member

Feb 16, 2006
    East End Houston
  25. carnifex2005

carnifex2005 Member+

Jul 1, 2008
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    How about this? They are based out of Burnaby.
    [​IMG]