Creighton 2006 Season

Discussion in 'College & Amateur Soccer' started by etan86soccer, Aug 25, 2006.

1. etan86soccer

etan86soccer Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Des Moines, IA
    Creighton kicks off their regular season today against Indiana at Notre Dame in the Mike Berticelli Memorial Tournament today. Should be a great game and a great season for the jays. This is going to be a big game for both teams as they have both looked good in the pre season.

game tracker will be up here at game time 4 pm

Creighton soccer schedule here

Creighton Roster ( new players in blue)
    0 Nathan Gibson 6-1 GK Sr. Edwardsville, Ill.
    1 Matt Allen 6-3 GK Jr. Omaha, Neb.
    2 Pietari Holopainen 5-10 D Jr. Kuopio, Finland
    3 Ryan Junge 6-1 D Sr. Omaha, Neb.
    4 Chris Schuler 6-4 D RS-Fr. Aurora, Ill.
    5 Michael Stillmock 5-7 M So. Omaha, Neb.
    6 Andrew Peterson 5-11 D/M Sr. Plymouth, Minn.
    7 Michael Kraus 5-9 F Sr. Memphis, Tenn.
    8 Rodrigo Faria 6-2 M Fr. Sao Paolo, Brazil
    9 Jeff Thayer 5-8 F Fr. Omaha, Neb.
    10 Jarod Tarver 5-7 F Sr. Norman, Okla.
    11 Mo Travis 5-9 F Fr. Papillion, Neb.
    12 Seth Sinovic 5-9 M So. Kansas City, Mo.
    13 Zach Torgersen 5-11 D Jr. Dallas, Texas
    14 Tony Schmitz 6-0 M Jr. Omaha, Neb.
    15 Sam Eid 6-3 F Jr. Waddell, Ariz.
    16 Tim Bohnenkamp 5-7 F Jr. Omaha, Neb.
    17 Byron Dacy 6-0 F So. Omaha, Neb.
    18 Tim Walters 5-6 F So. Wildwood, Mo.
    19 Tony Odorisio 6-1 D Sr. Omaha, Neb.
    20 Andrew Friel 6-2 D So. Las Vegas, Nev.
    21 Colin Campbell 5-8 F So. Kingsport, Tenn.
    22 Tyler Stansberry 5-5 M Sr. McAllen, Texas
    23 Thomas Gjoesund 6-1 D Fr. Aalesund, Norway
    24 Joan Carvajal 5-8 M Jr. Miami, Fla.
    25 Danny Minutillo 5-9 M Jr. San Jose, Calif.
    27 Jeremy Wittig 5-10 M Fr. Kaneohe, Hawaii
    28 Trent Senske 6-0 M Fr. Eden Prairie, Minn.
    29 Greg Fleissner 5-9 D Fr. Omaha, Neb.

31 Ben Ertz 6-0 D RS-Fr. Ames, Iowa
    32 Nick Ellefson 6-4 D So. Oceanside, Calif.
    Nic Christou 5-11 GK Fr. Palmdale, Calif.

2. Gunners11

Gunners11 Member

Jul 22, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Sounds like you lost a close one tonight. Good on ya for givin them all they could handle.

3. etan86soccer

etan86soccer Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Des Moines, IA
    Yep creighton fell in a close double overtime match against Indiana what more could you ask in a early season game. From the sounds of it Indiana had the better of the play so a deserving victory for them. Creighton is not known for being an early starter in the season.

Currently creighton is down 2-1 against notre dame almost half time...hopefully they can turn things around and get the offense rolling like it was in pre season.

4. rosscoe_9

rosscoe_9 New Member

Mar 6, 2006
    Tulsa
    A great start to the pre season for creighton... would have been good if they could have taken the good form into the regualr season. Although i would rather lose the first two games in the season than the last two right.

5. etan86soccer

etan86soccer Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Des Moines, IA
    Yes the game today is a bit dissapointing. I don't know what is up with Byron Dacy not getting much playing time and a few players i didn't expect to play much playing. So it will be interesting to see how things transpire over the next week. I expect a much better effort when creighton has their home opener next weekend against Georgetown. Hopefully the good home crowd will get this team pumped up for the rest of the season.

6. sweeper77

sweeper77 New Member

Mar 24, 2004
    Omaha

Warming said that 12 guys are not healthy so maybe some guys can't play alot of minutes.
    Rough weekend for the Jays - let's hope that they learn from this and also get some guys healthy.

7. giggshasscored

Jun 5, 2004
    Omaha
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Creighton Plays Host to the Ameritas Classic
    Friday & Sunday • Morrison Stadium

Creighton vs. Georgetown, Sept. 1, 7:30 p.m.
    Missouri State vs. Fairleigh Dickinson, Sept. 1, 2:30 p.m.
    Creighton vs. Fairleigh Dickinson, Sept. 3, 7 p.m.
    Missouri State vs. Georgetown, Sept. 3, 10:30 a.m.

I'm hoping to make it to the Creighton - Georgetown tonight, and possibly one of the two matches Sunday.

8. etan86soccer

etan86soccer Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Des Moines, IA
    Creighton- Georgetown is going to be a big game for creighton most likely playing in front of at least 5,000 people should be alot of fun and hopefully that crowd can help carry creighton to a victory tonight. I will be there and Tomorrow I will give a report about what i remember from the game.

9. generic username

generic username New Member

May 6, 2006
    Washington DC
    any word on how healthy creighton is? Do you still have a lot of people injured?

10. giggshasscored

Jun 5, 2004
    Omaha
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i didn't read about any injuries in the pregame notes, but that doesn't mean there arent any

11. Sultanofsham

Sultanofsham Member

Jun 2, 2005
    Omaha
    Creighton won 3 to 2 in OT.

12. generic username

May 6, 2006
    Washington DC
    great game i watched it on creighton's internet tv station. Hoyas looked very good. They were unluck they didn't come out with at least a tie. both teams palyed very hard and it was very physical. Creighton is very good and the hoyas are much improved over last year. they're going to surprise the Big East.

13. Sultanofsham

Sultanofsham Member

Jun 2, 2005
    Omaha
    I didnt think it was that good of a game. It really should have been a 1-0 game. Creighton's back line didnt play that well and both of the goals they gave up should not have happend. Once they moved Schuler back there after the second Georgetown goal they played better but still looked weak on the right side. Passing wise they were not very sharp and shot themselves in the foot quite a few times because of it.

Georgetown's GK screwed up on that first goal. He should have been able to deal with it without much trouble but instead of moving up and taking the ball like his defender was waiting for he froze like a deer in the headlights till it was too late. The goal by Bohnenkamp I think there was just too many bodies in the way for him to have seen it coming till it was too late. The game winning goal was a total breakdown with an unmarked Gjoesund on the far post chesting it into the middle where Schuler volleyed( maybe it bounced once) it in before anyone was able to close up on him.

I hope Creighton is sharper tomorrow against Fairleigh since they beat Missouri State 2-1 earier that day.

BTW anyone know about Joan Carvajal transfering out?

14. generic username

May 6, 2006
    Washington DC
    thanks for your perspective. They showed a really bad angle on their internet feed for that first goal so it was hard to tell what happened. It sounds like the defender wanted the goalie to come out and collect the ball but the goalie never called it and was expecting the defender just to clear it. If the goalie doesn't call it you have to just get it out of their. It's not the defender's descion that the goalie should come out. It sounds like the defender left the goalie in an akward position.

15. Sultanofsham

Sultanofsham Member

Jun 2, 2005
    Omaha
    I think the defender wanted any signal at all and didnt get one. The GK certainly didnt call away at all which he should have if he wasnt going to make a play on the ball. It was almost like he thought the defender was going to head the ball to him but at near point blank range you dont do that. He'd have been more likely to have scored an own goal.

16. giggshasscored

Jun 5, 2004
    Omaha
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    3,746 announced crowd. still pretty good

17. giggshasscored

Jun 5, 2004
    Omaha
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    first half was filled with defensive lapses. Georgetown didn't create much pressure at the beginning, but Creighton's defense was really out of shape here and there. On the other end Creighton seemed to be able to take the ball with ease right down the middle of Georgetown's defense. Looked more like a Georgetown weakness, but I'm curious if taking it down the middle as opposed to the wings is a strength of the current team.

Now onto Schuler. I thought he did well as a holding midfielder, but he certainly took over control of the defensive efforts when he moved to center back. I would have gave him man of the match before he had the winning goal. Anyone else impressed by him?

18. Sultanofsham

Sultanofsham Member

Jun 2, 2005
    Omaha
    Either Schuler or Bohnenkamp would get my vote. Hell both.

I like Schuler alot and he sure has a lot of poise for a red shirt freshman. It was nice to see him take the ball up the middle off the back line when he had too instead of turning it over on a risky pass out of the back. Wish the others would have done that more. I think that if he keeps progressing from what he showed he'll easily be the backbone of the defense for the next four years.

I think Creighton did fine on the left wing but in the second half they couldnt seem to get the ball over to the right wing via a long or medium pass. Most of them were way off and I dont think there was that much wind but maybe there was at field level. I would guess your right about it being more a Georgetown weakness about going down the center but maybe we'll see tonight its not.

19. Sultanofsham

Sultanofsham Member

Jun 2, 2005
    Omaha
    0-0 tie vs Fairleigh. We were all over them out shooting them 24-6 but nothing would go in :( Then again SOG was 7-2 so some shooting practice might be in order. Tarver had a few shots that sailed over the net. I think that he needs to calm down when he gets the ball in the open and take a touch before kicking.

Fairleigh was the team that took 29 shots at Missouri State so I dont know if something was wrong with them, or the defense was that good, or MSU has some problems.

Chris Schuler was named the MVC defensive player of the week.

20. cusoccer82

cusoccer82 Member

Aug 9, 2000
    Denver, CO
    Mike Kraus scores in the 86th minute to lift Creighton over UW-Milwaukee 1-0 tonight in the Wisconsin Invitational. Matt Allen with 3 saves in the victory and his second consecutive shutout. Creighton moves to 2-2-1 on the season and will face a tough Wisconsin team on Sunday.

21. Milwaukee fan

Milwaukee fan New Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Milwaukee or Iraq
  22. cusoccer82

cusoccer82 Member

Aug 9, 2000
    Denver, CO
    Mike Kraus with another winner, this time in OT in the 93rd minute for a 1-0 victory for the Jays over Wisconsin this afternoon in Madison. Creighton, following typical form, is beginning to gel after a few matches. This was the Jays' third consecutive shutout and they now move to 3-2-1 on the season with matches against quality Oregon State and Yale sides next weekend in Omaha.

23. cusoccer82

cusoccer82 Member

Aug 9, 2000
    Denver, CO
    Creighton's match this weekend against Yale will be televised live across Nebraska on NET and NET-HD. The match will also be shown tape-delayed on Tuesday and Wednesday on CSTV - does anyone get this station because I sure don't - doh!

More details here:

http://www.gocreighton.com/sports/common/news_releases_detail.asp?articleID=5286

Although its been a slow start the the season, all of the teams Creighton has not been able to defeat are ranked highly in the NSCAA top 25:

Clemson - #2
    Indiana - #9
    Notre Dame - #12
    Fairleigh Dickinson - #17

Oregon State and Yale are both coming into Omaha off of losses, so hopefully the Jays' stellar defense can continue its three match shut-out streak and score some goals in the process as well.

24. etan86soccer

etan86soccer Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Des Moines, IA
    Home Creighton game tomorrow as the BlueJays take on Oregon State tomorrow at 7pm should be a good game. Hope everyoe comes out and supports the jays.

25. etan86soccer

etan86soccer Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Des Moines, IA
    Creighton 2- Oregon state 2....Not a pretty game with a gail force wind in one direction the whole time. Didn't get there til the second half but creighton looked like they had a goal called back that should have counted with a minute left in the game but things don't always work in your favor. Tough tie for the jays but Oregon state played tough. Jays take on Yale who at last check was losing to drake 1-0 when they announced it at the creighton game.