Creating your own WC06 archive?

Discussion in 'Technology' started by DaMunk, Jun 8, 2006.

1. DaMunk

DaMunk Member

Feb 7, 2003
    Philadelphia/STX
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    US Virgin Islands
    Since I can't make it to Germany (f'in grad school), I've got a bit of money burning a hole in my pocket. I am almost 90% certain I'm getting an HDTV this weekend, and of course paying for the HD upgrade w/Comcast, but I'm also considering adding the DVR to record games.

I know the DVR records in HD, unlike Tivo, but as far as I know, there's no way to 'download' programs. Is there any way for an HD program to exist outside of the Comcast matrix? HDDVD, DVD-R, CD-R, mini HDDV? Would there be a way record the live broadcast? Is there a way to get the program out of the DVR in SD?

Alternatively, does FIFA make DVDs of each game available?

In the end, I want to use clips to illustrate principles, strategies, etc. to my players. That and I may not be able to watch every possible game live. A feat I am determined to accomplish!

2. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They'd certainly make a grand sum of money if they did. Look around on BS and i'm sure someone would be willing to give you a copy of whatever game(s) if you traded some blank VHS tapes or CDs (video cd format).

Tivo has a Tivo/CD burner which might be your best bet. It only has one tuner which might be tricky when ESPN/ESPN2 air two games at the same time unless you don't mind catching one of the ESPN Classic re-airs.

http://www.tivo.com/2.0.boxdetails.asp?box=humaxDvd40hr

I really want to say that it is possible to hook a cable-company DVR up to a computer and burning to DVD that way, but I don't think it's possible.

Cable Company or TiVo unit..there's been a bajilion threads:
    https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=337476 (Check out post #25).

TiVo name-brand unit might be a bit easier. If you're looking for ease, i'd suggest that tivo.com link above.

3. Rima067

Rima067 New Member

May 10, 2004
    What recommended products have more than 1 tuner?

4. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My Comcast one has been fine so far. I haven't really needed the dual turner for two recordings just yet, but I did test it out and it worked with no problems. I'm still trying to figure out how to get it off the DVR if I find there are games I want to keep. I might just hope that a couple of torrents are made available and I'll just download them later.

5. Own Goal Hat-Trick

Jul 28, 1999
    ColoRADo
    there absolutely will be torrents of every game. i am sure of this.

6. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you want to keep games, I think your only option is to download a torrent or get a DVR/DVD burner device.

Actually, it might be possible to save a program to a Comcast DVR and play it to your TV through a retail TiVo, but I have no idea if that would actually work. TiVo says their boxes work with any cable/satellite/OTA setup.

Dual-Tuner DVR ---> TiVo with DVD burner --> TV

7. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is a process that will allow me to save games from my Comcast DVR to a hard drive, but it requires a couple pieces of hardware, and some drivers that frankly, I'm not confident enough in my abilities to install.

8. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    These things are often easier than you think. If you describe it, one of us can walk you through it. Just make sure you ask the questions before you start anything.

9. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Before I can even begin I need to either get a new hard drive, or (more likely) buy a secondary one (seagate or some other) for my media collection. At the moment I don't have the money, and even if I did, there are two expensive items on my "need to get soon" list ahead of it. But thanks for the offer. I would definitely pose any questions here and maybe on another board before I waded in myself.

10. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Since there are a few of us trying to make a complete archive with the same problem of only being able to record one channel at once, maybe we should devise some kind of trading. It would probably have to be through mailing DVD disks, as I'm getting 10gb unedited and 6.5gb edited files for each episode, and that isn't exactly easy to email.