Crazy Zamparini (news roundup)

Discussion in 'Palermo' started by Salvatore Giuseppe, Jan 25, 2016.

1. Salvatore Giuseppe

May 4, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago
    There have been a handful of stories to go by that I wasn't sure where to post. So here's a new ongoing thread. Any and all news related to the Craziness of Zamparini, or Palermo in general.

Leading off is this story:http://www.football-italia.net/78825/zamparini-i-wont-pay-dybala-cash

Apparently a court in England has ruled that Palermo owe Dybala's agent(/rights owner) 15m euro.

Zamparini has so far responded by calling him a crook and declaring he won't pay it.

My take: players that come out of South America, particularly to clubs like Palermo often seem to have odd ownership details, often somewhat sketchy sounding. Zamparini in the past has complained about having to work with (and pay) multiple parties, both for the original purchase and for sell-on fees. Its one of the main reasons that Zampa likes to point out he needs fees as high as he demands–he doesn't keep a lot of it.

losing 15m would be a big loss to a team like Palermo. Hopefully Zampa is right and everything was done above board originally and this ruling won't stand. I have some doubts though.

2. Salvatore Giuseppe

May 4, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago
    http://www.football-italia.net/78981/zamparini-‘suspend-serie-a’

Zamparini has been implicated in a tax evasion scandal involving the majority of owners in Serie A and B, along with a bunch of players and other people.

Zamparini has called it nonsense, and for some reason, has said he is going to ask that Serie A be suspended until the investigation is eneded.

3. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    After the coming and going of Schelotto, you wonder what crazy Zampa will do next? The guy really doesn't know much about coaches does he?

4. Salvatore Giuseppe

May 4, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago
    Hard to see how they could have missed that. I feel sort of bad for GBS, who supposedly turned down some role with the Paraguayan NT to come to Palermo.

5. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Many mangers started out without their licensees. Mancini had jsu finished playing 5 games for Leichester City when he was hired at Fiorentina. I remember Renzo Ulivieri was the head of the coaches and resigned his position because he stated Mancini didn't have the right papers and they bypassed that rule so he quit as they went over his head. Seedorf and Montella didn't have it either....

Caso Schelotto: anche Mancini, Seedorf e Montella "senza patentino"

6. Salvatore Giuseppe

May 4, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago
    Apparently GBS's people said he had an EU passport, but (despite qualifying for an Italian passport) he hadn't actually gotten one yet. I dunno if that affects it somehow.

7. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #7 falvo, Feb 11, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2016
    I am sure just like almost everyone in Argentina, he has an Italian background. With his last name , its impossible to not have it but I don't know how far back he would have to go. You would think he had the brains enough to apply for a visa. Former player Juan Sebastián Verón had a similar problem back in 2000 as he had a possible fake Italian passport in order to avoid the non-EU quota. The charge was cleared by FIGC because his passport really had been issued by Italian officials, and he avoided a ban...

8. Salvatore Giuseppe

May 4, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago
  9. Salvatore Giuseppe

May 4, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago
    Zamparini has been on a double rant about the supposed injustices being done against Palermo. They are one of two teams in A that have yet to be awarded a penalty this season. In addition, he thinks there have been several bad calls against the team.

http://palermocalcio.it/it/1516/news/scheda.php?id=32535

http://palermocalcio.it/it/1516/news/scheda.php?id=32539

He clarifies in the second he isn't angry at refs, but at players who flop. And he hilariously suggest that there is no such thing as simulation in English soccer....

Presumably that one is to try and avoid a fine for commenting about the refereeing. We'll see if it works

harrylee773 repped this.
  10. Salvatore Giuseppe

May 4, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago

Supposedly. 50m seems steep, but if Palermo satay up, it may be an attractive team. Its got a surprisingly large name recognition (wearing pink tends to do that), and a pretty long history of top flight soccer.

Zamparini is constantly talking about selling the club and also about building a new stadium. Until either starts to look like a reality, I'm doubtful.

11. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Palermo is cheaper than an MLS club.

12. harrylee773

harrylee773 Member+

Jul 28, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I feel like I have a better chance predicting the starting 11 for a given game than I do of predicting who the coach will be :| $50 mil euro for a Serie A team seems like a bargain, wouldn't mind seeing an owner that can stick with a coach for more than a few weeks at time at the helm...

13. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. Salvatore Giuseppe

May 4, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago
  15. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Zampa has said he has been wanting to sell the club forever.

16. harrylee773

harrylee773 Member+

Jul 28, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ideally, relegation is avoided an owner that is not absolutely, clinically insane buys the team and makes them respectable. I still can't believe the manager situation this year, even when Steinbrenner was running the Yankees and feuding with Billy Martin, there was never close to this amount of turnover. That's the closest analogy I could find and that's not even close.

17. Salvatore Giuseppe

May 4, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago
    Yeah I know. But somehow he seems more serious about it this time. Though depending on what sort of profit he wants to turn, I don't know if I believe him that relegation wouldn't make a difference.

For a team that for the most part is barely midtable in its best years, Palermo has a pretty wide brand recognition. There's potential to make it a much better team if somebody has the funds to back it. And the patience to keep a manger longer than 4 matches.

Zamparini deserves a lot of credit for what he has done for the team both in terms of getting them back to Serie A and in making them a financially sound club, but his antics are pretty much solely to blame for this season's results, and I think its time for him to take a more backseat role, if he keeps any position at all.

harrylee773 repped this.
  18. Salvatore Giuseppe

May 4, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago
    Two stories:

First, Zamparini and Palermo fined 18,000 euro each, for some comments Zamparini made about Infantino supposedly buying the FIFA election. Given that I wouldn't be shocked if he did, seems like a steep fine.

http://www.football-italia.net/83554/zamparini-fined-fifa-remarks

Second, the newest development in the 'is Zampa serious about selling this time?' story, reports claim he is looking to buy serie B Modena. Still no word on who might buy Palermo though. Modena is currently in risk of being relegated to Lega Pro.

http://www.football-italia.net/83559/zamparini-swaps-palermo-modena

19. Salvatore Giuseppe

May 4, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago

Just a reminder of how recently this team was so much better. Was also the last time before Iachini that a manager was given almost a full season (Rossi). Rossi is one of the few coaches over the last 5-6 years that Palermo really should have kept around. Really, I think one of 2, maybe 3, along with Iachini and maybe Mangia, who I don't think was given enough time.

20. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Their best finish was under Guidolin even though Zampa I believe hired and fierd him too.

21. Salvatore Giuseppe

May 4, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago
    Hired, left, hired, fired, hired, fired, hired, fired.

And if you want to split hairs, they finished with more points (and an equal 5th place finish) under Rossi's first half a season as manager in 2009-10, which lead into the season culminating in a Coppa Italia final.

Its depressing to look back at that team: Sirigu, Balzaretti, Nocerino, Pastore, Miccoli, Cavani and more.

22. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #22 falvo, May 11, 2016
    Last edited: May 11, 2016
    As long as the FIGC , EU laws or whomever allows this, I don't think owners can be prevented from hiring and firing coaches at will. Maybe if they were to make up some sort of law preventing this hiring and firing , things may or could change to a point but until then, we are stuck with crazy owners and a revolving door with managers....

23. Salvatore Giuseppe

May 4, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago
    http://www.football-italia.net/84417/zamp-‘vazquez-suits-roma-napoli’

Zampa making more statements that he will not be president next year. he did say last week (?) though that he wouldn't leave, so it sounds like either he is just making things up, or at least looking to retain a minority stake.

As long as he isn't the one making managerial decisions, I'll be happy.

harrylee773 repped this.
  24. Salvatore Giuseppe

May 4, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago
  25. Salvatore Giuseppe

May 4, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago
    http://www.tuttopalermo.net/notizie/palermo-vicina-la-chiusura-della-trattativa-con-i-cinesi-85267

According to this, a deal is close to being done with a Chinese group to sell the club. If I'm reading it right, it says that the group gave the club permission to continue their transfer dealings after examining the books, and that a deal may be announced once Palermo completes a few more deals (i.e. so that club can get them without looking like they have a new giant pile of cash).

Says Zampa would stay on as an Honorary President. Thats the sort of title that sounds like it would have no power. Perfect.

Worth noting that Milan is also in the process of completing a sale to a Chinese group.