"Crawfished."

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Colin Grabow, Sep 5, 2002.

1. Father Ted

Father Ted BigSoccer Supporter

Manchester United, Galway United, New York Red Bulls
    Nov 2, 2001
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
  2. Kobranzilla

Kobranzilla Member

Sep 6, 2001
    NY F'in City
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    AND..

the colonel, before he went Teats up

3. SoFla Metro

SoFla Metro Member

Jul 21, 2000
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    If you think it was his Harvard MBA that got him his current job, there's nothing I can really do to help you.

4. irishFS1921

irishFS1921 New Member

Aug 2, 2002
    WB05 Compound
    it's never how much you know.

but how you use it. i'm smart as all hell and i've dissapointed many for years. smarts only get you so far. therefore a in a match of wits IQ numbers are pretty subjective

5. SoFla Metro

SoFla Metro Member

Jul 21, 2000
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    Bush was as involved in the running of the Rangers as I was.

It was a neat trick turning 500 grand (or whatever pittance it was) into many millions of dollars at taxpayers expense.

Maybe he should open a magic shop.

6. TheWakeUpBomb

TheWakeUpBomb Member

Mar 2, 2000
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    I always thought it was the Skull & Bones membership that did it for him and his daddy.

7. SoFla Metro

SoFla Metro Member

Jul 21, 2000
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    If his dad wasn't the 41st President of the United States, he wouldn't be president.

I never thought I'd kinda miss daddy Bush...

8. SoFla Metro

SoFla Metro Member

Jul 21, 2000
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    No wonder he's such a fan of standardized testing, b/c we all know they are the perfect measure of intelligence.

BTW, I scored higher than both of them. Doesn't prove I'm a genius.

9. SoFla Metro

SoFla Metro Member

Jul 21, 2000
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    Time ran an article in March 2001 called "Should SATs Matter?" Interesting read. I remember they had a graphic in that one that includes both Bush and Gore's SAT scores but it doesn't appear to be available on TIME's site

Edit: Oops, there it is

Bush: 1206
    Gore: 1355
    And just for fun: Paul Wellstone: Under 800 (went on to be Phi Beta Kappa at UNC)
    Ben Stein: 1573

http://www.time.com/time/education/article/0,8599,101321,00.html

10. SoFla Metro

SoFla Metro Member

Jul 21, 2000
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    It is sad really that there are people so desperate to like GW so much, they even though he's wrong most of the time, they will defend him mercilessly, adopting the mantra "if we say it enough, eventually it will become true"

11. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Come on folks, I consider myself to be a moderate. Conservative on economic issues, but liberal on issues of individual and societal freedoms.

"W" is an embarrassment as a president. He is a terrible public speaker. Clearly, everything needs to be scripted and read off a teleprompter for him to make any sense. I have yet to come across someone that was intelligent, unless they were an idiot savant, that could not express their thoughts in a clear concise fashion. "W" has real difficulties doing this. Furthermore, he cannot speak in an extemporaneous manner without appearing to be grasping for words or ways of expressing himself.

12. SoFla Metro

SoFla Metro Member

Jul 21, 2000
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    That, or the Stonecutters.

13. oman

oman Member

Jan 7, 2000
    South of Frisconsin
    I think we probably should look at the title of this thread to see what should be expected. Does someone expect serious debate when the subject is how the guy uses "crawfish"?

14. krolpolski

krolpolski Member+

I think it's all the coke and booze he did. His brain cells are fried.

15. irishFS1921

irishFS1921 New Member

Aug 2, 2002
    WB05 Compound
    i miss his post 9/11 hunting references :(

that was my favorite..

16. SoFla Metro

SoFla Metro Member

Jul 21, 2000
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    Good thing he's in charge of the country.

17. SoFla Metro

SoFla Metro Member

Jul 21, 2000
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    Mine was "evildoers"

18. irishFS1921

irishFS1921 New Member

Aug 2, 2002
    WB05 Compound
    haha. silly old bear. i betcha W is really cuddly!

19. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001
    http://www.us.mensa.org/join_mensa/testscores.php3

That was my impression too, until a few years ago when I considered joining. They accept SAT scores up until 1993 as prior evidence. i've heard from someone who joined for a while that scores on the low end near the 1250 threshhold. also require an iQ test. That's just a rumor I heard.

Anyway, as Dante correctly points out, Bush did not score high enough, as my memory of the article placed his score about 50 or 60 points higher than is the case. Still

1) Bush is far from stupid, as people here would like to claim. He may well be incurious, but not dumb.

2) First-rate temperament, character and political sense coupled with good-but-not-outstanding intelligence is a traditional formula for successful presidents, starting with Washington and including Franklin Roosevelt.

3) The leftists have an annoying debating habit of ad hominem attacks on the intellgence of their opponents rather than actuallydebatiing. For gosh sakes, they portrayed Gerald Ford as a moron, and he graduated from Yale Law School.

4) We could just as easily call George Washington a "sock puppet" for Alexander Hamilton. FDR didn't outline the New Deal on a blackboard at Hyde Park.It was the product of smart advisers coupled with FDR's keen political sense. We don't really analyze presidents so much as presidencies.

20. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001
    Thomas Jefferson had a soft voice and a speaking impediment. He hated pulblic speaking because he was terrible at it. Ted Kaczinsky is not exactly an articulate person. It happens all the time.

Meanwhile, we have a whole Congress full of people who speak well but really aren't rocket scientists, although a handful are pretty bright. .

I do think you're right in identifying his speaking skills as his biggest weakness. He has not been out there making the case for an invasion, which he needs to do. But having weak speaking skills doesn't mean he's a moron.

21. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You've obviously never spent much time around engineers or software designers.

Everyday, I spend most of my waking hours around intelligent people who can't "express their thoughts in a clear concise fashion."

22. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Actually, Jefe is right. I'm a computer programmer I know that I am a much better writer than speaker. But I am not running for the office. Since radio was invented, and especially with the advent of questioning by the press, the ability to speak is a vital skill needed by the president. A leader without that skill is an embarassment to the nation.

23. Ludahai

Ludahai New Member

Jun 22, 2001
    Taichung, Taiwan
    Disagreeing with the President is one thing. There are many things I disagree with the President on. However, distorting the record and polking fun at a regional accent is childish and silly. If you truly are right about his policies, go after the policies then. Stop acting so childish.

24. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually, I've heard it many times since moving to Dallas, but never before I moved here. Maybe it's a north Texas thing.

It's pretty much the reason why I said "So?" when I first saw this topic. Crawfish, when used as a verb around here, generally means "to suddenly change your stance at the drop of the hat."