Craigslist

Discussion in 'Finance, Investing & Economy' started by StiltonFC, Jul 13, 2010.

1. StiltonFC

StiltonFC He said to only look up -- Guster

Mar 18, 2007
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought this was amusing/interesting:

Today's Orange County California offerings seem to be dominated by somebody from Coto de Caza, an upscale community in South Orange County.

I would sort of like to know the story behind this, but, frankly, I suspect money laundering. ;)

2. StudioGangster14

StudioGangster14 Red Card

Jun 16, 2011
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Afghanistan
    I search for psychic on CL and ask them hows going to win games! :D

3. vilafria

vilafria Member+

Jun 2, 2005
    Craigslist helps me a lot in selling stuff. Better than having tag sales or going to swap meets

4. bostonsoccermdl

bostonsoccermdl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Me too. Or so I thought.

I have had luck selling any item I put up there in pretty quick time, but watch out for scams from buyers.

I had someone this week come up with a story that they were out of the country on business, and that they wanted to buy an item so they were going to have their administrative assistant mail me a check. They quickly informed me that the bank check was sent out for the wrong amount, and they were nervous about it, and wanted me to send back the balance.

When I recieved the check, it looked legit, and from an official institution, but I smelled something fishy. I had the check looked at at my bank. Turns out it was a scam, and I would have been on the hook for the bounced check, and charged a fee, and possibly had my account flagged and shut down. Meanwhile I would have been out any money I sent the person.

(I dont do alot of banking business or this kind of stuff, I just assumed that any bank coming from an instiution was legit, and I wasnt on the hook for anything. I thought the sender would get hosed, not me. )

I guess there was an articlae on msn.com that talked about a firm out of Milwaukee that has been doing this and sure enough my envelope I got was from Milwaukee. The same group was meeting local sellers in shopping mall lots, and mugging them.

In hindsight, it seems obvious, but just wanted to let anyone know that if they dont want to do cash or paypal, then tell them to take a hike.

5. vilafria

vilafria Member+

Jun 2, 2005
    good move by you. I wouldn't do any business with checks. Cash or no deal.

6. topcatcole

topcatcole BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 26, 2003
    Washington DC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Has anyone tried to sell a car this way?

7. vilafria

vilafria Member+

Jun 2, 2005
    sold one and bought two using it.