CR7 vs Ronaldinho (prime only)

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by carlito86, Oct 9, 2018.

?

Who’s prime was better?

This poll will close on Feb 9, 2102 at 7:45 PM.
  1. Cristiano Ronaldo

21 vote(s)
    45.7%
  2. Ronaldinho gaucho

26 vote(s)
    56.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. benficafan3

benficafan3 Member+

Nov 16, 2005
    I mention Ronaldinho because he played the major part in Messi's first Champions League win and also set the intro for his career. Starting your career around players like that is a benefit, as evidenced by the titles won.

Pedro, Villa.... and Iniesta and Xavi.

No chance on Modric being close to Xavi. Xavi's club achievements can take on Modric's, nevermind his NT achievements.

I rate Ramos extremely highly. He's just not as talented as the above players mentioned. He's very close though. But, even then, he's just one player. The grand majority of people would take any of the above 4 over Ramos if given the choice, even if I wouldn't.

2. JoCryuff98

JoCryuff98 Member+

Barcelona
    Netherlands
    Jan 3, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Just because Modric is inferior to Xavi or Iniesta doesn’t mean he’s not an all time great midfielder. Their difference is pretty minimal IMO ability wise.

3. Sexy Beast

Sexy Beast Member+

Dinamo Zagreb
    Croatia
    Aug 11, 2016
    Zagreb
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    "Choose the best player for every position, and you'll end up not with a strong XI, but with 11 strong 1's."

It literally doesn't matter who they had when statistic overwhelmingly suggests that they performed bad and that Messi contributed by far the most to his team

4. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Because of injury Messi didn't really have a hand in his 1st CL title. I honestly can't give him that much credit for that campaign. As protagonists, Ronaldo has 5 and Messi has 3. Then again CR7 has 2 CL titles on PKs. In terms of formation, CR7 benefited much more from the tutelage of SAF and tough teammates that toughened him up than Messi with R10.

We are talking about individual performance, not sure why you bring NT team achievements into the mix.

Ramos has been crucial in getting Madrid 2 CL titles from his offensive contributions. That is pretty unusual.

5. JoCryuff98

JoCryuff98 Member+

Barcelona
    Netherlands
    Jan 3, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Also, you’re forgetting how crucial Bale and Ramos was for Real during the CL finals. Without them, Real wouldn’t have won 13-14 CL, 15-16 CL and 17-18 CL. I literally don’t understand why many claim Ronaldo carried Real, when they had one of the best football squad in history in terms of starting 11, depth and reliable youth players. This entire “Xavi-Iniesta carrying Messi” propaganda should stop considering Messi was still the most important player during Pep’s era Barca. It’s as bad as Chelsea fans claiming they were robbed in 09 CL semi finals even though that wasn’t the case in the first leg.

leadleader repped this.
  6. carlito86

carlito86 Member+

Jan 11, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Lionel messi is alot fairer than his fanboys

"I know now that I need to enjoy this final much more than before, because I think there are many players who don't have the opportunity to win the Champions League," he told uefa.com.

"That's what makes it special, but it's also true that if you want to win it, you have to play and perform during the whole Champions League season. I believe it's a beautiful opportunity to be able to play every game, just as it is throughout the year, but it would be even more special if we could win the final, with me playing in it."
    https://www.uefa.com/uefachampionsl...--messi-mindful-not-to-let-final-moment-pass/

Unfortunately till this day many claim R9 won 2 world cups
    Or pele won 3

7. carlito86

carlito86 Member+

Jan 11, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    #632 carlito86, Aug 4, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2020
  8. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    We are not talking Romario. We are not talking Zico. What does that have have to do with anything ? But Zico scored his PK in the shootout. He missed one in regulation.

9. Sexy Beast

Sexy Beast Member+

Dinamo Zagreb
    Croatia
    Aug 11, 2016
    Zagreb
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
  10. Tropeiro

Tropeiro Member+

Jun 1, 2018
    Here, I agree.

[​IMG]

Cristiano Ronaldo scored 1 goal (0 assists) in 5 matches vs Atlético de Madrid and Barcelona that season.

He wasn't in the Eurocopa final too.

11. Sexy Beast

Sexy Beast Member+

Dinamo Zagreb
    Croatia
    Aug 11, 2016
    Zagreb
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    i am glad we agree on something, but that is not my reasoning. That's not why he shoudlnt ahve won ballon d'Or or the uefa best player.

12. Sexy Beast

Sexy Beast Member+

Dinamo Zagreb
    Croatia
    Aug 11, 2016
    Zagreb
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    Yeah, tell me more about that.

13. carlito86

carlito86 Member+

Jan 11, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Ronaldo is the champions league GOAT
    The best player of the best competition in Europe/world

That alone arguably makes him a top 10 all timer

His league career
    The three peat with Manchester United
    The 4 european golden shoes
    2× serie A MVP in 19 and 20 according to who scored

The legendary record of 450 league goals scored in Europe's top 5 leagues
    That definitely makes him a top 10 all timer

His record in cup competitions
    Scored in the 2004 FA cup final
    Scored in 2 copa del rey finals vs atletico 13 and Barcelona 11

The international record
    100 ~ intl goals and one of the top European championship legends

with most goals,most assists,most appearances and some of the highest rated individual performances ever

Scored a hattrick in world cup aged 33
    Carried his team in many qualification rounds for major tournaments

That's the stats
    The magic,creative abilities,longevity
    We can talk forever

13 consecutive years as a undisputed top 5 player in the world

He is a top 5 all timer and ronaldinho is nowhere near that level

RamyBt repped this.
  14. Sexy Beast

Sexy Beast Member+

Dinamo Zagreb
    Croatia
    Aug 11, 2016
    Zagreb
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    And the award for the best ramble in the world goes to @carlito86.

15. JoCryuff98

JoCryuff98 Member+

Barcelona
    Netherlands
    Jan 3, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I like Ronaldo, but he ain’t winning the CL with Juve considering they don’t have world class midfield to feed him. Unless, they’re willing to sign such players ofc. I have no clue what creative abilities you’re talking about here, but he ain’t the same 2008-14 version of Ronaldo.

16. carlito86

carlito86 Member+

Jan 11, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    #641 carlito86, Aug 7, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2020
    Juventus have scored 7 champions league KO goals since CRs arrival
    All 7 by 1 player
    That is the dictionary definition of dependence

About the rant....

Ronaldinho is in prison/bail/house arrest
    I don't know

Cristiano is still impacting matches at the highest level

There is crazy and there is CRAZY

If someone thinks dinho
    Any version,any year,any match can compare to Cristiano
    He needs his head checked

Cris has 130 champions league goals

Just take a minute and try to fathom that number

Over 50% of that total in is deep KO rounds

Dude
    The 2nd with his weak foot vs Lyon

You can say whatever you want but if you are below the age of 50 you have never seen a player who perfected the art of goalscoring like cris

@JoCryuff98
    C.Ronaldo is a creative player
    To what degree is an opinion

That he is creative is not
    Its a fact

RamyBt repped this.
  17. Sexy Beast

Sexy Beast Member+

Dinamo Zagreb
    Croatia
    Aug 11, 2016
    Zagreb
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    but how many semi finals Juve has had since CRs arrival? I thought he single handedly wins you ties and competitions, no matter where he plays: United, Real, Portugal, Juve or as benficadude would say, any team in the world, lol.

It's kinda hard to advance when you team concedes more than you can create/score, isn't it?

He didn't even downgrade much, he went from Real to Juve (the 7 times Serie A winner in a row and 2 ucl finals in 4 years prior) and immediately lost his magical ability to win ucl with whoever. (Sarri is bad tho)

Nobody is disputing that overall CR is greater player than Ronaldinho. It is a peak CR vs peak Ronaldinho, so short period of time of few seasons.

You are all over the place. Ronaldo has never been United type dribbler and creator and post 2016 type big game goalscorer at the same time. You can't fuse them.

Ronaldinho's peak is close, but ultimately player who is a difference maker in front of the goal is better than a player who is not. Which is why Neymar is better than Hazard, Cristiano better than Ronaldinho, etc.

Also as you are trying to say, but not quite wording it correctly, Cristiano might have few versions which are better than peak Ronaldinho,.. arguable.

18. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Curious fact, out of those 7 goals, 4 are headers, 2 are PKs, and one with his feet (that great goal yesterday).

19. Tropeiro

Tropeiro Member+

Jun 1, 2018
    Stop being an arrogant idiot. Of course, that's part of it (he didn't played well against big teams in 15/16 season, period) Just as if you were smarter we would have agreed on more things, like Cristiano Ronaldo being a better goalscorer (but not the best player).

You set up a totally wrong line of reasoning just to not assume that you made a mistake by assigning a much greater weight to scoring goals (even in a simple tap-in) and not much by influencing matches in other ways (ball progression, chances creation).

That is why comparing different roles without analyzing what each palyer has to do is stupid.... and we still don't have the tools to properly analyze it these days (but at least we should do the homework).

Homework here means select the key matches of each season, analyze the player statistics in these matches, see the rating of each player according to the media, then eye-test (watching the matches really), in short, everything that was not done in this thread... and not doing simply argument in a box like "Cristiano Ronaldo is better because he scores more goals than Ronaldinho" etc. which can be true and I have assumed this since the beginning, but this argument is just too simplistic. This is not Youtube or Facebook.

There is a lot of work and research to do that has not been done here.

Legolas10 repped this.
  20. Tropeiro

Tropeiro Member+

Jun 1, 2018
    Another wrong definition.
    The best player is not the one who causes the most dependence or even scores more goals or makes the most assists.

The best player is the one who has the most positive impact in terms of improving the chances of his team scoring goals and decreasing the chances of his team conceding goals.

Actually Neymar is very arguably better than Hazard because not he score more goals or makes more assists than the belgian, but because he also makes all the hard work Hazard is credited (ball progression) and because we are seeing how Barcelona and Chelsea reacted to the departure of these players. The best Hazard is simply more replaceable than the best Neymar.

PD: Juventus is not improving with Cristiano Ronaldo as focal point of the team.

Legolas10 repped this.
  21. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    You could argue Juventus have regressed with Ronaldo. Getting knocked out by Ajax and now Lyon (no discredit to that Ajax team) ... but they used be KOed by Barca, Madrid ... regardless of only him scoring in KO rounds. However, the team gets a year older and things change so it's not easy making that assumption. doesn't help that they didn't have dybala nor d.Costa that could have tipped the scales. Those are always variables to consider. But getting KOed by Lyon is frankly a bit embarassing.

22. Tropeiro

Tropeiro Member+

Jun 1, 2018
    It is not only in the UCL, but also in the domestic tournaments and in league as well. It may be a good number of factors, but all of the results together doesn't seem like a good sign.

23. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    He might have squeezed one more CL at Madrid. Ego got the best of him.

Then again Liverpool were the team last season.

Tropeiro repped this.
  24. carlito86

carlito86 Member+

Jan 11, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    #649 carlito86, Aug 8, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2020
    @Tropeiro
    Ill ask you here instead of the other thread

Cristiano is a better goalscorer than Messi you claim
    You referenced his repertoire of finishing abilities (aerial ability,weak foot,off the ball movement etc) as reasons for his superiority

You also referenced his record in big game KO game record

So why then is R9 greater as van basten

The exact same argument you used in favour of Cristiano being a better scorer than messi can be used in favour of MVB

Van basten has a superior record to R9 in KO rounds of the European cup
    Is very arguably a more complete scorer(aerial ability,weak foot,penalty,set piece)

And if van basten is a better goalscorer than R9 that is like saying van basten is a better player than R9

Ive never heard you describe either one of van basten or R9 as complete attackers
    They were strikers
    And if it can be proven van basten was better as R9 in his greatest strength/primary function

Than van basten at club level should >R9 at club level

After that we can talk about how much importance is attached to international career

The basis of any discussion should be that van basten>R9 at club level

For one van basten does have 5 world class club seasons
    1986/87
    1988/89
    1989/90
    1991/92

There is a half season in 1992/93
    And a European golden shoe in 1983/84

R9 for one reason or another doesn't have body of work at club level to compare to van basten
    Doesn't have his titles
    Doesn't have his big game record

International career is a separate arena with different variables

25. Tropeiro

Tropeiro Member+

Jun 1, 2018
    #650 Tropeiro, Aug 8, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2020
    What I did was to identify the key games (vs comparable teams according to Elo rating, the best way I find to identify these games) and then point out the statistics of those players in those games. In those games Cristiano Ronaldo scored more non-pk goals than Messi.

I did it, in part, for R9, in the seasons he qualify or his 5 best seasons in Europe (excluding his time at PSV or Brazil) but I still haven't done it for Van Basten. I'm not sure Van Basten scored more goals than R9 in this method.

Also there are a lot of obscure points in addition that we cannot analyze before (metrics as expected goals) and here we take also the context. Milan were a much more structured/better team than all the teams R9 played, likely he had a superior expected goal or asists (for playing in better teams).

In the case in the question, I said that it is very possible that one player superior athleticism and dribbling ability could make him a superior goalscorer or at least match the aerial superiority of another by reaching goalscoring positions faster than the other and creating more shots for himself via dribbling.

Football is a team sport btw.

Btw,

[​IMG]

Btw, [...] his goals added has always come overwhelmingly from receiving—he's incredible at getting on the end of passes into the box.
    https://nograssintheclouds.substack.com/p/meet-the-model-thats-redefining-value

Legolas10 and carlito86 repped this.