CP Baltimore 2010 Season Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Baltimore' started by jakcfl, Apr 15, 2010.

1. kingsuperbee

kingsuperbee Member

Aug 8, 2005
    I have been a big fan of All Soccer in the Baltimore -Washington area. It is ashame that CP tryed to get this done, but it has not worked. Me and my kids attended many games the last 2 years and hoped that this would work. The best atmospere this year was the first game at UMBC. We enjoyed watching the games there and think Baltimore Pat is just making excuses for the teams failures. The marketing of the team was the problem not the site of the games. I wish the owners well and hope that we have Pro Soccer to watch in the next couple of years.

2. BMore-Pat

BMore-Pat New Member

Oct 27, 2006
    Baltimore
    There are alot of soccer fans that will not go to a place based on location. Location and Marketing sort of go hand-in-hand. UMBC is a bad location for a pro soccer team. There is nothing around the location to bring people in early or keep them there afterwards.
    Season opening matches always have a good atmosphere as they are the easiest games to sell since those dates are normally set before the rest of the schedule.

Palace will most likely have a better crowd for the games at Calvert Hall because of location.

Even on the MLS level location is key. FC Dallas struggles because Pizza Hut Park is in the middle of Ft Worth and Dallas in a few years when the area grows around the stadium attendance will increase. They market well, but still draw only about 8-9,000 a match.

I want soccer to succeed in Baltimore.

In my dealing with Pete and Jim I told them that they needed to market more and I was told that real soccer fans will find out about the team and will attend without marketing.

I hope they can turn it around. They are very passionate about soccer, but just lacking on the business side of soccer.

3. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. eastcoaster

eastcoaster New Member

Nov 23, 2009
    Of course they don't have money. they waste everything and can't market a thing. If it weren't for the fact that there are actually some pretty decent players on the team then they would have absolutely nothing. Ages ago Jim should have been fired and they should have hired the assistant they had before or even the guys who do the academy. I get most of my info from a couple friends who are on the team. The only good training they ever got wa with those guys. They laugh at Jim at practice. He makes them run as punishment for things. Its crazy. How can he keep his job. No one ever writes good things about him. I wasn't there today but I was told we could have really had Miami if he let the guys attack. Since i didn't see it i can't say but it sounds like him. I also heard tht there weren't any more then about 50 or so fans. .. so to hear they are broke is no surprise. Too bad the let Randy go. They lose some of the speed that was part of the strength (lost a lot earlier when they let Seabrook go).
    I rant a bit b/c I was talking with my friend n the team for a long time tonight and his frustration is coming through me. Why don't they swallow their egos and just bring in someone who can give them a chance this year. There must be someone good available that would take over?? Hell I never coached but I thnk I could at least make the guys better.
    I think the only reason i will go back to another game is to use my tickets and suuport theplayers - but not really the club.

5. buzz99

buzz99 Member

Mar 29, 2007
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    :(

My fear is another good player will be sold shortly, literally throwing in the towel on the season. This is unfortunate for the hard workers and guys who play with heart - Bush, Paul, Yoshi, Marsh, Tak, Lader, Patterson (oops, he's gone) and Pecjic. Other guys have their moments, but can't/don't produce the full 90 every time out. Bench players see only spot duty as for most teams, but need to give 110% every minute on the pitch.

The count down has begun and I feel there will not be a team next year (not even USL-2 or PDL) unless a smart investor group steps in. Don't look for any help from City, State, League or politicians. It will have to be private and solid (at least 3 years operating capital assuming significant losses in year 1 but hopefully improving to break even by end of year 3, plus a real stadium in which to play).

The team continues to play down to struggling teams and play up to better teams. Go figure.

Play on the flanks is decent, esp. with Yoshi. The teams needs a take charge, agressive central midfielder. Neto and Lucio are highly skilled but are neither 90 minute guys, tough defenders or assertive especially in the air. They give you 5 great minutes then disappear for 10; 5 more good, 10 lacking, etc. That leaves Dan Lader to effectively play the entire central midfield from end to end for most of every match. Veeder has about lost his legs and needs time off.

Brooksie has stepped up his play and is again dangerous; and Val could be a far better asset to team up top than buried in the back where he clearly is uncomfortable and shaky at times.

Maybe the coach will recognize this soon and re-evaluate his line ups, substitutions and formations. Maybe even training!

6. BMore-Pat

BMore-Pat New Member

Oct 27, 2006
    Baltimore
    This is a shame. I imagine a PDL team loses money, but doesnt USL try to control those expenses so the loses are not that much?

I cant imagine season tickets being more than $50 to $75. Just say you get 1000 season ticket holders. That's $50,000 if tixs are $50. Then if they can get 250 people to buy group tickets at $10 for each match. Thats an additional $2500 per match. The expenses are field rent, travel, head coach, insurance and a ticket sales person. With no player salaries maybe Palace should look at this option. If they can get sponsors that adds to the money. If they can get Calvert Hall or Towson University or a high school with a stadium a might workout. If I had a little more money I would try this.

Jim, Pete and I have had our differences, but I hope that the team is back in some way.

I know it is late in the process, but this has to have impact on the Stadium study that comes out next month.

7. BillyMay23here

BillyMay23here New Member

May 1, 2010
    Who did not see this coming?
    No fans, no sponsors, no coaches, no marketing.
    This organization never had a chance to work simply because they went into this as a way to make money. You need soccer minded people running the team and front office then you need investors willing to lose a certain amount each year in order to help promote the sport in a local area.
    Unfortunately Jim, Pete and Pete's dad got in for selfish reasons and thought they could make money off of their extremely limited knowledge of soccer. This team going broke and folding is the only outcome of this business plan. This was never going to end any other way. It was only a matter of time before they ran it into the ground.

8. jakcfl

jakcfl Member

Mar 5, 2007
    Maryland
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looking at it optimistically they were probably counting on two things to help generate revenue the second half of the season. One, that most of our home games were in the second half. The loss of four home games in a row by going to Germantown while the field at Calvert Hall was being redone undercut that plan and probably drained any financial reserves. A return to Towson will help to replenish funds through tickets and concessions, but salaries have to be paid and so more cuts must be made. The other factor was the feasibilty study being done to determine what stadium, if any, would be built for soccer. Pete once mentined that he thought it would be done in July. Given the time frame that it took to complete the Prince George's study for a DC United facility September was always the more realistic date. This seems to be born out by a mention in one of the Baltimore Sun articles leading up to the Man City-Inter match. If an announcement had come out, in our favor, prior to our set of home matches, interest could have driven more game day ticket sales ahead of a new stadium. Now its time to retrench and get some promotions in place for the end of summer and set some up with local schools and rec councils as this will be the first time that Palace will be playing at the same time as local high school sides as well as fall rec soccer leagues. Don't regret later what you didn't do. Set-up with every local rec council you can get on the phone and remember, entertainment events are diminsihing commodities. If you don't seel tickets that match never comes again. If you have to sell tickets at half or a third of regular rates to get bodies in do it. Its better to get what revenue you can then to regret getting nothing. Plus, the word of mouth you generate from a larger crowd goes along way towards spreading news about the franchise. Word of mouth isn't a substitute for good marketing, but it will help generate more match day sales.

As for the game Wednesday, maybe fifty in attendance, about half of those were there to see players on the Miami team. Offensive opportunities tilted slightly towards Miami, though neither team created much. We were awarded a penalty kick that was retracted after the ref consulted with the lineswoman. Our frontrunners still aren't getting much support from those behind them and are easily outnumbered and separated from the ball by those numbers before getting shooting opportunities. Dan Lader must have had at least 30% of our possession in the first half and has been a stud for us all year. Andrew Marshall continues to control his position well in the air and on the ground. Robson and Mbuta didn't dress for the match. Subs were inserted too late to take advantage of the fatigue that may have been setting in for Miami in the heat and humidity. Hopefully the mini break before our next game will get players some rest, especially Veeder who appears to be worn out and could use some time on the bench behind Flores and Basso to recharge his batteries.

9. jakcfl

jakcfl Member

Mar 5, 2007
    Maryland
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A couple of days before the family and I head to Montreal for the return match at Saputo. It was a great atmosphere and result last time that hopefully Palace can emulate. We'll be in Ottawa afterwards to visit friends and while there drive by the Lansdowne Park site that was proposed for USL 1 & CFL franchises once political hurdles are cleared.

Hopefully just good news out of the CP Baltimore camp this week or at least no news as I've heard that can be good too.

Wouldn't mind seeing us get a few USL-2 guys on loan once their season ends, but good forwards are always hard to find and it will always be a question of cost at this point.

For those that like having wall to wall televised soccer return Man U is on vs Chelsea, later Philadelphia at Dallas then Chicago-New York and their new bloat of carrying 3 DPs.

Any thoughts on bars for hosting viewing parties in upcoming weeks to spread the CP Baltimore gospel?

10. buzz99

buzz99 Member

Mar 29, 2007
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    If the team has any hope of making playoffs (and they could) they:

- must learn to win at home. The soft part of home schedule is gone - MN, St Louis and Miami - with 3 embarassing losses. There are 6 (tough) home matches to play starting Sat. However, team is a disaster at home, can't even muster ties with StLouis and Miami thanks to feeble offense.

- should grab on loan an attacking midfielder and (tall) striker from Harrisburg and/or Real MD (what's a few extra $$$ in the hole for a handful of matches that if they win, could generate income that at least exceeds expenses).

- get better play from Matthew Mbuta who opens space for other players when he's on the ball and creating chances. Maybe play Val up top some as the current back line and keeper seem to be able to hold their own against most teams (unfortunately, 1 mistake and the game is over because Palace rarely scores when behind).

- have to coach smarter, if can't replace the current guy. The team is losing on goals in mid to late second half (e.g., 1-0 home matches to Tampa, St Louis, Miami) when a few players die and subs are either too late, ineffective or just plain questionable.

Otherwise, kiss the playoffs and the team goodbye.

11. Hax

Hax BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 1, 2000
    buzz99,

I don't know if you've seen Real Maryland play this year, but Palace is not going to get much offensive help from the Monarchs. The team has scored only 15 goals in 19 games, and Ben Hunter (Richmond in '09) is their leading scorer with 4 goals. As for Harrisburg, they have a few players who might help. Like Maryland, they struggled in the USL-2 regular season but the City Islanders had a good Open Cup run and played really well in the middle of the season. Jason Hotchkin (Cleveland in '09) tallied 5 goals and 2 assists from his left midfield position, while Sheanon Williams (USA U-20) has shown potential up top (3 goals) and can also play as an outside back. Geoff Bloes is versatile too, playing left back or as a forward, but he misses too many chances (and his unfortunate last name gives opposing fans much ammunition). Vince Petrasso has wheels and was a second-half spark plug on the wing, but otherwise, not too much help is offered by Harrisburg either. J.T. Noone played well as a forward/central midfielder for the City Islanders, but he was purchased by the Philadelphia Union a week or so ago. I'd take a good look at Hotchkin, Williams, and Petrasso from Harrisburg, and bring in Hunter from Real Maryland. Let's hope Baltimore stays alive, both in the playoff race and as a franchise! Even if they have to self-relegate to USL-2, I'd hate to see another Maryland soccer club close shop.

12. BillyMay23here

May 1, 2010
    They are selling their better players just so they dont fold. There is no way they pick up new big time talent to help their run. Seems to me like they are resigned to losing as little money as possible and either regroup in the offseason or give up completely

13. Hax

Hax BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 1, 2000
    I know they're selling players to fund the team's operations, but the players I mentioned are not "big time talent," instead they would be players received on loan (i.e. inexpensively) from the USL-2 ranks. My post was in response to buzz99, who was hoping that Palace could receive a few cheap loans to help them stay competitive. It's been pretty common over the past few seasons for USL-1 teams to "borrow" players from USL-2 clubs once the USL-2 season ends (the USL-2 season is shorter than USL-1/NASL). In previous years, some City Islanders players completed the season for Rochester and other clubs making a postseason push.

14. buzz99

buzz99 Member

Mar 29, 2007
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Exactly. Thanks. Even a physical, workhorse midfielder to go with Lader would help

15. jakcfl

jakcfl Member

Mar 5, 2007
    Maryland
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Things in Montreal went okay in the scoreless draw. 12k fans on a Wednesday night, nice. The Impact easily controlled the game but Evan Bush was huge in goal. I'd say it was a nice recovery for him after fanning on the shot that resulted in the only goal in the Miami match last Wednesday. No Lader, Mbuta and Andrew Marshall received two bogus yellow cards that had him out of the match in the 85th minute and out for the Saturday game at Calvert hall as well. Perez was transparent for large portions of the match but created our two real chances. Gary Brooks was everywhere including making several key defensive plays. Inserting Val and Zach at forward and midfield respectively shows how few forwards we have left. A point is a point though when you're on the road so get geared up for the closing run with this point against a team ahead of us in the standings as a building block. We seem to play better against teams ahead of us so the remaining matches against teams with higher point totals could provide an impetus for some improved play at home. A couple of USL-2 players could provide a spark at this point if, as Bob Barker used to say, the price is right.

16. buzz99

buzz99 Member

Mar 29, 2007
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Crikey mate - another stadium venue change! Now playing saturday at poly-western hs. Palace could be out to set record for most home venues used in a single 15 match season.

By the way, missed the video Wed. as storms blew out the power here. Sounds like the team played poorly but Evan Bush was awesome. That's 1 goal in last 4 matches - rest of matches against tough opponents including 3 against Carolina.

17. eagleforlife

eagleforlife New Member

Jun 15, 2007
    Club:
    Crystal Palace FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
  18. kingsuperbee

kingsuperbee Member

Aug 8, 2005
    Seen where they are now playing at loyola. This has to be a record for one club to play home games at 5 different sites. I am done going to games. Good luck to the team, but count me out.i tryed to be a fan but cant keep up with this.

19. buzz99

buzz99 Member

Mar 29, 2007
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    C'mon SuperBee - just a few home games and venues left. Don't give up yet. Besides, Ridley is the best venue in the area in which they could play and Loyola doesn't play football so maybe they don't have those lines painted. Towson U stadium is nice but isn't set up for soccer and M&T and Naval Academy are too big. UMD wouldn't let us play there on their grass with their season about to start so Ridley it is.

PLus, DC United so awful, Palace would give them a run for their money.

Palace rumored to have signed a player or two due to injuries and lack of bench.

20. BMore-Pat

BMore-Pat New Member

Oct 27, 2006
    Baltimore
    Does anyone know how successful their 3v3 tournament was last week?

21. TheScarfMachine

May 1, 2007
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    $1 beers and $1 hot dogs on Saturday at the new stadium.

Sweet! See you guys there!

22. eagleforlife

eagleforlife New Member

Jun 15, 2007
    Club:
    Crystal Palace FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
  23. BillyMay23here

May 1, 2010
    Great signing...if it had been made in 2001

24. eastcoaster

eastcoaster New Member

Nov 23, 2009
    Wow we are bad. we have scored only 5 goals in the last 10 games i think. any real club would have fired Jim a long time ago. At least reassign him and bring in someone who can save the team still. I really think there is talent there, but he ruins it and i know th e players can't stand playing for him. i too think i am done going to games.. never know where they are gonna be anyway.

25. jakcfl

jakcfl Member

Mar 5, 2007
    Maryland
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Last night was pretty bad. Defense looked really loose and shredded badly under pressure. Offense almost non-existent. Not sure what changed from the previous Montreal matches. The Impact have added several players in the later stages of this campaign, including Gerba who looked good up top versus our defense. With matches against quality sides left I'm seeing playoffs as a very long shot. I don't know if it is the atmosphere during home matches or what ever else but we look less inspired at home. The only thing to hang onto at this point is if we will continue to have a team in 2011. I know things haven't gone well on or off the field this year but I'll be there til the end, wherever they play.