COVID - Part Two

Discussion in 'Youth & HS Soccer' started by VolklP19, Jul 29, 2021.

1. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    So this really is not a political discussion as much as it may be a tough question for parents about our players.

Right now in many states, the numbers are trending up. My gut says that most schools will require masks for the up-coming school year which for some starts as early as 2 weeks.

That said, if the trend continues and start seeing leagues mandate masks and the season start getting cut short, what will you do?

Frankly I don't want to do this again. I have an 05 who is a solid player - a walk on for D3 and maybe D2 (not sure). We can train locally if things get bad again. Therefore I am leaning on pulling out and calling it a day for travel soccer for good.

2. girlssoccernewbie12

girlssoccernewbie12 New Member

Portland
    United States
    Apr 11, 2019
    Our elementary and middle schools have already sent an email that masks will be required for all students regardless of vaccination status-the difference between those vaccinated and those unvaccinated is that if someone who is vaccinated comes into contact with someone who tests positive for covid, the vaccinated person will NOT have to quarantine for school or sports. But no masks are needed if they are outside.

I don't see us cutting the season short for club soccer. The GA and I believe the MRC premier I/II were able to do all their games in the midst of it all last fall/spring without any issues that I'm aware of. I think there is more knowledge and experience of kids playing soccer outside and their real risk of COVID transmission. I do believe if the numbers get really high again, that indoor might make them play with masks on and no spectators, but I don't think the clubs, players, parents, or anyone will accept a shut down or even suggest it this time around. Only modify the mask and social distancing rules.

3. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    True but all the Illinois clubs in MRC that were not in Prem I & II or club v club were not able to play - so we lost the season.

4. TheKraken

TheKraken Member

United States
    Jun 21, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If my son was a little older, I would seriously consider moving to Texas or Florida. At least for the short term, until this nonsense blows over. Masks are just to make people feel better about themselves. Study after study has shown they are useless.

5. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Masks in outdoor places, or indoor?

6. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    If kids are not a high risk I think they can go without in training or games. If I have to wear a mask so that my player gets a full season - I will - no problem at all.

However my point to the thread was moreso not specifically about masks - but the loss of a season - state shut down followed by league shut downs. That IMO would be the end of it for us I feel.

bigredfutbol repped this.
  7. sam_gordon

sam_gordon Member+

Feb 27, 2017
    We had a (albeit shortened) school soccer season last year (fall) AND a full club soccer season in the spring. This was before (for school at least) any vaccines were available.

Soccer (and football, baseball, softball, track & field, cross country) at least have the advantage that they're outdoor. All of the "concern" I've heard has been for indoor.

I disagree with the amount of concern being shown (not on the thread, but in public). If you've been vaccinated, the chance of contracting covid is small. IF you contract it, the chance of being hospitalized (or worse) is EXTREMELY small. IF you contract it, the chance of spreading it is EXTREMELY small (if even possible). So, why do the vaccinated need to wear masks? Who/what are you protecting?

This is my son's last year of HS & Club. He has yet to pick a college, he doesn't have a list, much less a "short list". I need to get him exposure to colleges (both so he can see the college and the college can see him).

That's my practical reason for wanting the season to continue. My selfish one is he should be on a REALLY good HS team. They could potentially make a deep run in the playoffs. I'd hate to see that quashed because of Covid.

8. TheKraken

TheKraken Member

United States
    Jun 21, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well if the leagues shut down then not much else you can do. I think the health dictators will try again though. I'd be more worried now about a young person taking the vaccine than catching Covid. The heart inflammation issue with the vaccines are being show to affect younger people at a higher rate than older. Combine that with high stress cardio sports like soccer and you're really looking for trouble.

9. sam_gordon

sam_gordon Member+

Feb 27, 2017
    Regarding the bolded, while I understand that's true, how likely is it? Are your chances better getting the vaccine and possibly getting the heart inflammation issue, or is it better to possibly getting covid and having some long term (if not serious short term) problem?

10. TheKraken

TheKraken Member

United States
    Jun 21, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I look at it this way. My son, as a healthy young person with no pre-existing conditions, has zero chance of dying from COVID. If I give him the experimental gene therapy (aka vaccine), he does run the risk of developing an issue he wouldn't otherwise develop. You can also look at the latest addendum to guidance from the CDC" to show you that the vaccines are not very effective.

"Added a recommendation for fully vaccinated people who have a known exposure to someone with suspected or confirmed COVID-19 to be tested 3-5 days after exposure, and to wear a mask in public indoor settings for 14 days or until they receive a negative test result."

Even more reason not to let my child be vaccinated. If vaccines work then why would a fully vaccinated person need to be tested after exposure? The most recent study from Israel (the country with the highest vaccination rate in the world, approaching 100%) says the vaccine is at best 39% effective against reinfection. The vaccine is just not a risk I am willing to take.

smontrose repped this.
  11. RealChicago

RealChicago Member

Real Madrid
    United States
    May 21, 2018
    Everything you stated is false. I respect your opinion to do whatever you think is best for your child, but coming here declaring such BS is wrong. Unless you are a properly educated healthcare worker or scientist, keep your declarations to yourself, we have enough bullshit floating around the country regarding this. It's like the football team trying to coach the soccer team.

12. CornfieldSoccer

Aug 22, 2013
    The comment about the masks above, unless it's in reference to something very specific about use during outdoor games that I'm unaware of, is also false. Medical people have and do wear them for a reason, and it has nothing to do with how they feel about themselves.

Re any potential soccer shutdowns, I'm optimistic based on the our experience beginning late last summer though a few weeks ago that the kids should be able to play. That said, this newer variant seems to be more transmissible. Hoping they can keep going -- mine's about to be a HS junior, so a lost year would hurt (for all kinds of reasons).

13. TheKraken

TheKraken Member

United States
    Jun 21, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I literally quoted the CDC and you say everything I stated is false? Where is your truth then? Guess what? I am a properly educated scientist. All the information is out there and published. If your world view comes from what they tell you on the nightly news, then you are not informed.

14. SoccerPop314

SoccerPop314 Member

Fire
    United States
    Apr 24, 2020
    I definitely hope that masks while training and playing don't ever make a comeback. The delta variant is causing a lot of increase and breakthrough cases around the midwest (and nationally), in Florida a close friend said his hospital is close to max capacity again. He did mentioned that nearly 100% of those being admitted are non-vaccinated. While the Pfizer vaccine is looking to be less effective at preventing infection of the delta variant, it is doing a great job in limiting hospitalizations. My kids will get it when they are eligible just as nearly all their teammates have (or will) but the fact remains that more adults need to do their part and get vaccinated or this rollercoaster of restrictions will continue.

15. TheKraken

TheKraken Member

United States
    Jun 21, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It won't matter, but if you think it will help then by all means. Let your child be the clinical trials for a gene therapy against a disease that won't kill them. The drug companies approve.

16. NewDadaCoach

NewDadaCoach Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Sep 28, 2019
    We're in CA. So far it looks like they'll have to wear masks when school starts. fine.
    And now all public stores require masks. fine.
    Haven't heard anything requiring masks for outdoor sports. I doubt they'll go that far. But if they did I'd go along with it.

Outdoor sports are a very small risk for kids. And if you add in the health benefits of actually playing the sport it probably completely washes out the covid risk side of the equation, ie the benefits outweigh the risks. But alas, I know many people do not agree and would rather err on the side of caution, which I find hypocritical since there are other physical risks to playing sports that adults seem to be ok with.

sam_gordon repped this.
  17. sam_gordon

sam_gordon Member+

Feb 27, 2017
    You're right, youth are probably not going to die from Covid. But are you not concerned at all about possible long term affects from the disease?

Regarding the CDC quote, at this point (came out last week or earlier this week) they're recommending EVERYONE, vaccinated or not, to wear a mask while in an indoor setting. It has nothing to do with whether you're exposed or not. Personally, I think they're doing that so that unvaccinated people can't claim they're vaccinated and forego the mask. YMMV.

As far as vaccine effectiveness, from the New England Journal of medicine (link)
    So, I'm not sure where you got your 39% effectiveness. Care to cite the study/article?

18. soccerdad72

soccerdad72 Member

Chelsea
    United States
    Apr 5, 2021
    We were fortunate in that we played a full 16-game season last fall, albeit with no scrimmages or pre-season games and no fans aside from parents. So I'm hopeful that this upcoming season will be no worse than that. So far, we've been able to have a lot more practices and was able to compete in the traditional preseason showcase, so we're already ahead of last year.

For my son (a Junior), he's already decided that he is not going to play in college (aside from club soccer) as he's looking at mostly D1 schools (for their engineering programs) and he's probably a D3 / borderline D2 player at best, so the last two years of high school soccer is really just about playing with his classmates and friends, not recruiting or developing.

19. SoccerPop314

SoccerPop314 Member

Fire
    United States
    Apr 24, 2020
    I was going on this in the news https://www.cnbc.com/2021/07/23/del...ective-in-israel-prevents-severe-illness.html

My guess is most of us will require a booster shot which I'm happy to get because I have seen some nasty consequences of the virus. Once the anti-vaccine crowd starts getting their jabs the spread will slow even more. But I do think we learned enough from the 1st 18 months that outdoor masking in sports isn't necessary but masking inside will make a comeback.

smontrose and sam_gordon repped this.
  20. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    The "leaked" CDC doc states that the new variation is easier to acquire then chicken pox and the common cold and frankly the science is not 100% on about whether the current vaccanies effectiveness to this recent variation.

Regardless of what you believe - Pritsker clearly followed the federal guidelines in 2020/2021 so IMO this is very much a valid conversation considering the rising rates. Chicago just added 9 States back on to their travel advisory because of rising numbers. I am not here to argue whether that is right or wrong. My point is that we know how Chicago and Pritzger acted before and the trend is heading in a way that we may see more action taken as far as mask mandates. Could mean another season cut short and that's what I was trying to discuss.

21. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    I think this is where I am at as well.

22. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think outdoor masking is necessary, except in tightly packed public spaces.

23. sam_gordon

sam_gordon Member+

Feb 27, 2017
    I have to agree. We did attend one showcase last year where masks were required for players. It wasn't enforced at all in the 1st game. For the 2nd & 3rd game, every player on the field had a mask on. 95%+ were worn as "chin warmers".

VolklP19 repped this.
  24. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My gut feeling is that when this is all over (*knocks wood*) and the data has been analyzed, we'll find out that some of the stuff we did--cleaning surfaces of public spaces, masking outdoors, social distancing in outdoor queues--was probably unnecessary, while at the same time we were not diligent ENOUGH about indoor masking, doing a complete REAL shutdown early on, etc.

25. NewDadaCoach

NewDadaCoach Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Sep 28, 2019
    maybe unnecessary, but it was nice having clean grocery carts!

bigredfutbol and CornfieldSoccer repped this.