Covid, Lockdown and Hazard. New Year, Same Crap and Nothing New - The Winter Transfer Thread

Discussion in 'Real Madrid' started by Nathanial Essex, Jan 2, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
?

Will we have a significant January transfer window?

1. Yes

2 vote(s)
    5.1%
  2. No

37 vote(s)
    94.9%
  1. natenate101

natenate101 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 16, 2006
    California, US
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I’m in no rush to sell him unless he makes it clear he wants a new challenge/club. If we can’t resign him on reasonable wages then sell him. But getting quality CBs isn’t as easy as people make it seem. What happens when Ramos gets injured next season and is our for a month or two? We go with Nacho and Militao? I’m not comfortable with that just yet. Need to see Militao step up a few notches first.

If we sell Varane we need a CB replacement in mind.

Chinky24, Deep Pal and Ahmadi8 repped this.
  2. Drouchk

Drouchk Member+

Real Madrid
    Spain
    Aug 9, 2018
    I don't care whether Varane stays or leaves tbh, In recent weeks he's been solid but a lot of the time you could tell his heart just isn't in it anymore, he said he wanted a new challenge a few times before, doubt that changed.

3. MiamiNative0722

MiamiNative0722 Member+

May 25, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would say with 99.9% certainty that we will not allow Ramos and Varane to leave in the same summer. Until Ramos has extended, I don't think there is any reason to talk about selling Varane

Shay Z, Lyra and Deep Pal repped this.
  4. Saeta Rubia

Saeta Rubia Member+

May 28, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    1366899065850630146 is not a valid tweet id

5. Ahmadi8

Ahmadi8 Member+

Apr 14, 2005
    Bahrain
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Bahrain
    So? Take a look at Hazard.

Lyra and Deep Pal repped this.
  6. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I can take a look at how people thought Hazard was a steal at that price.

7. Ahmadi8

Ahmadi8 Member+

Apr 14, 2005
    Bahrain
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Bahrain
    How much do you expect a Mbappe to go on his last year of contract?

8. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    200 mil. or more.

When did defenders fatch the same price as strikers though?

For the record i would try to renew Varane's contract,simply because getting a player as good as him will probably be more expensive in the long run. The guy coming in willmost likely want the kind of wages Varane wants.

Digital, 2Magia2 and Ahmadi8 repped this.
  9. Ahmadi8

Ahmadi8 Member+

Apr 14, 2005
    Bahrain
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Bahrain
    When Maguire went for that stupid fee.

Agree on keeping Varane is the priority.

10. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Yeah, under different circumstances probably, but word from a lot of teams is that they expect a "Covid-19 discount" this summer.

About Haland = Dortmund's big boss Watzke said they are planning with him for next season, and that the player is happy. Newspapers are not convinced though.

I'd throw in Jovic as a potential replacement, but from what i hear Dortmund are set on bringing back Isak who's less than excited about that judging by recent statements ("i'll do whatever i want")

11. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    SportBild claim that PSG have agreed to all of Alaba's demands but they are not his first choice.

12. Anon.

Anon. Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    If PSG sign Alaba and renew Mbappe, there will be a full-on melt-down. But it would definitely drive a change in expectation management.
    For the sake of my own sanity, I prefer to assume the worst, but hope to be pleasantly surprised in the summer...

13. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I have 0 hope for Mbappe, Alaba could still go either way. His agent is quoted they don't have any agreement whatsoever, but "all the big clubs want him".

14. MaxY

MaxY Member+

May 24, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Imagine PSG decide to go full Football Manager mode and sign Alaba and Messi. Isn't FFP or whatever invalid due to the pandemic?

15. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I just can't imagine Messi leaving the comfort zone of Barca. The new president will probably roll out the red carpet for him as well.

Digital repped this.
  16. madridista_hr

madridista_hr Red Card

Real Madrid
    May 21, 2009
    Here
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    @4x4s May I just try to recap what are you saying:
    • You expect to Mbappe to break the world record fee (€200M) for striker coming from pre-pandemic time.
    • €100M for serial best player of Premiership in prepandemic world was a bad deal
    • Varane should be let out for something less than world record money for a central defender because it is post pandemic world.

Did I get it right?

Btw. When we're talking about getting a player as good as him, I'd first like to think about finding a one before guessing the expenses.

Lyra repped this.
  17. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    #1292 4x4s, Mar 3, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2021
    1. That would be the starting point. PSG paid 145 mil. Euro for teenage Mbappe. Whether you're going to bring the current transfer amount down to 180 mil. + bonuses, that's also possible, but PSG will not have a shortage of interest if he's on the market. Money is also practically irrelevant to them, the only factor is FFP.

2. Hazard has won the POTY award once. You can check the Hazard thread, i wasn't a fan from the beginning, so yes it was a bad deal because the player wasn't worth that money regardless of contract length to me.

3. If Varane would be to CBs what Mbappe is to strikers he would be worth a lot more, but he's coming from a place of very questionable performances, into a market where Alaba and Ramos are available as free options. Why pay 80 mil. Euro+ for Varane when you can simply offer Alaba 3 mil. more in wages and come out much cheaper in the end?

The question here is, in a hypothetical top 10 of CBs right now, where do you rank Varane?

Mbappe is and plays like a generational talent at 22, Varane is a good to very good player at the moment. I think 70 mil. represents a realistic market price for Varane right now.

madridista_hr repped this.
  18. Lyra

Lyra Member+

Apr 29, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid

MiamiNative0722 repped this.
  19. Lyra

Lyra Member+

Apr 29, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid

20. MiamiNative0722

MiamiNative0722 Member+

May 25, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Throwing in the towel on Mbappe this summer, Haaland the priority. Bad source though

Deep Pal and Lyra repped this.
  21. fierro

fierro Member+

Jan 30, 2007
    El Chuco
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Hopefully Railo will realize that signing players to Madrid is like a trophy for agents, he can get a signing bonus anywhere but the prestige here is priceless.

Ditto Mbappe and Alaba.

Anon. repped this.
  22. Saeta Rubia

Saeta Rubia Member+

May 28, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--

23. Saeta Rubia

Saeta Rubia Member+

May 28, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--

ABC says Mbappe will cost 200 ME while Haaland could cost 150 ME this summer.

24. Bear Crotch

Bear Crotch Member+

Jan 2, 2008
    Ohio, United States
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    If these are true this makes me very excited as well. I just hope that Zidane can find a spot for him in the lineup.

We know that Halaand is a worker, so there's no excuse to make him ride the pine.

Deep Pal and Anon. repped this.
  25. YOUNGSTARS87

YOUNGSTARS87 Yellow C@rd Bandit

Dec 21, 2005
    Great. Bring one this year, bring the other next year.

I don't care about the order and a forum ban should be on anyone discussing the cost. FFS we have had two players on around €20M the last two seasons do absolutely nothing for the club.

Spare me that defeatist pessimistic bullshit.