Covid-19: We don’t talk about 1-18

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Yoshou, Apr 16, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He visited a health center on July 7th and a hospital on July 16th, the day before he reported a fever. Worrying but they do seem like the obvious places to pick up the virus.

nfitz and soccernutter repped this.
  2. almango

almango Member+

Sydney FC
    Australia
    Nov 29, 2004
    Bulli, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Maybe they felt he could have handled things better before it got to shopping cart ramming stage.

3. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    By "The original 70's version or the new one?" I meant the Battlestar Galactica theme. My avatar is from a very old Final Fantasy clone game whose name is lost to the mists of time. I stumbled across the character animation files for the game somewhere and I chose her back when everyone had a anime girl avatar and not just alt-right losers and have stuck with her since because I believe in persistent identity connectivity and because I won't let alt-right losers take over concepts I once treasured (like the good name of "Electric Boogaloo").

4. Kazuma

Kazuma Member+

Chelsea
    Jul 30, 2007
    Detroit
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    My avatar is a chain smoking con man from Liverpool who happens to dabble in magic. My sig is also from his comic.

And I like Keanu Reeves but John Constantine he is not.

luftmensch, usscouse, dapip and 2 others repped this.
  5. MattR

MattR Member+

Jun 14, 2003
    Reston
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, our county is now at code yellow. The "real Virginians" are generally non mask wearing oranges and reds.

Could someone generate a map that correlated Trump support with current outbreak numbers? I mean, I work at a geospatial firm but I don't have an ESRi license.

6. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    The original. Seems I read that you were a fan. I may have been wrong.

Fight on! I do associate some people with their avies, especially if they're of humans. or toons. Jason Ma and Roby are examples.

spejic repped this.
  7. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For those of you scoring at home, Aunt Jan woke up in the middle of the night in a rage, pulled her tube most of the way out, and then proceeded to ask the nurses if they were a part of the plot to put her in suspended animation to live forever.

God love that tough, crazy old bird

russ, luftmensch, soccernutter and 11 others repped this.
  8. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    The cart assault victim was a girl.
    A girl.

I haven't seen any footage of the incident, but there's one eyewitness account on this video.

In any case, whatever Ralph's decides. I give up. I guess nobody's going to be held accountable anymore for endangering our collective safety anymore...

luftmensch and dapip repped this.
  9. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I'm not a fan of the original show, but I'm a big fan of the original theme. So grand. Much flourishes.

I like looking nonthreatening. Until I'm not.

[​IMG]

russ, luftmensch, soccernutter and 3 others repped this.
  10. nfitz

nfitz Member

Aug 20, 2007
    Toronto
    The original show was great in the 1970s. It had clearly aged badly when they retired it here in the 1990s only 20 years later.

I was initially disappointed that the original theme wasn't used in the fantastic remake, but it did appear once in one episode quite appropriately!

spejic repped this.
  11. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So the city I work in - Moscow, ID, population about 25,000 - applied earlier this year to be part of a study of wastewater to determine prevalence of COVID in the population. About 400 communities participated. The first three testing windows in May showed zero cases, then the end of May that went up to about 150.

In July though, the city tested at 1400 cases on 1 July, and 1600 cases on 13 July. Our official number of cases from people having been tested since the beginning of the pandemic is 54, including seventeen currently.

So, what to make of that. If the numbers are accurate, then we could be in big trouble - or the virulence of the strain here in our community is lower than feared previously.

In case you're curious about the wastewater testing, it's through a company called Biobot which points out that "everybody pees and poops, every day" so it's a good way to test. Info is at https://www.biobot.io/covid19.

soccernutter, NORML, dapip and 3 others repped this.
  12. usscouse and roby repped this.
  13. Given we now knowmore about the reasons behind the mortality of patients in IC I would guess more patients, less deaths.

russ repped this.
  14. rslfanboy

rslfanboy Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Section 26
    I say this to my 3-year-old almost every day.

chaski, ChrisSSBB, soccernutter and 2 others repped this.
  15. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    The guy that wrote that article about him pointed out another error as well or, at least, an aspect he'd rather skirted around.

What seems obvious is that, as you suggest, he has a tendency to make observations outside of his area of expertise.

But health criticism and debate are the right way to respond to someone who makes an incorrect judgement but is willing to discuss the matter. NOT attempting to get him removed from from his employment or have his credentials downgraded at a professional body.

The idea that Pinker is the same sort of thing as a so-called 'provocateur', (AKA a total bellend), like Tony Young or James Delingpole is fallacious as far as I can see.

blissett, Dr. Wankler and JohnR repped this.
  16. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    The trouble with the country is always the corruption. So there are all kinds of rumours as to whether illegal Chinese smugglers etc are now responsible for an impending lockdown

17. rslfanboy

rslfanboy Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Section 26
    It gets kind of weird, because his marketability is greatly enhanced by being a HARVARD professor. I guess aside from a public statement, there isn't really any way for Harvard to distance itself from ill-conceived publications by it's staff, aside from a difficult termination process?

russ and Dr. Wankler repped this.
  18. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    The test is if Pinker changes his beliefs when somebody points out the error. If so, he's fine. If not, book him.

19. roby

roby Member+

SIRLOIN SALOON FC, PITTSFIELD MA
    Feb 27, 2005
    So Cal
    The 3rd strike will be delivered by "Tomorrow"! :p

20. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    We keep seeing examples of how overvalued are those Ivy League degrees.... I think their marketability is not what it was 100 scaramuccis ago...

21. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    I'm waiting for Sinclair to broadcast their KKK recruitment show in celebration of their support of free speech.

dapip repped this.
  22. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Trump's NSA has the 'vid. Thank Christ Trump doesn't get in person daily briefings!

sitruc and dapip repped this.
  23. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    How blasé we have become.

“daily deaths should only continue to increase for another 2 to 3 weeks,”

sitruc, Auriaprottu, blissett and 3 others repped this.
  24. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    How did they answer?

25. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002