Covid-19: We don’t talk about 1-18

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Yoshou, Apr 16, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Boandlkramer

Boandlkramer Member+

Apr 9, 2009
    Samma Weltmeister!
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Why can’t this be blocked. It’s spreading overt disinformation during a dammed pamdemic!!

2. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    We have the best antibodies. Our antibodies are the envy of the world. Nobody has antibodies like us.

dapip and russ repped this.
  3. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    There was an interesting piece in the Atlantic about that...

I've also heard others make the same point... that people like Pinker can't be 'cancelled'. The aim is to get others to STFU and tow the line.

So the argument that the people writing open letters complaining about 'cancel culture', themselves can't be cancelled is fallacious because it ignores the issue at hand... they're famous... I mean, that's kinda the whole point.

It can be argued that even that level of influence over opinion is justified if the aims of people complaining were wholly positive. The problem is that some of them are, frankly, questionable and, (more to the point), haven't been agreed. The idea that the general public will happily accepted de-funding the police, for example, is almost certainly wrong

The thing is, it makes it seem as if 'libruls', (for want of a better word), are the ones out of step with ordinary people.

blissett, dapip and Dr. Wankler repped this.
  4. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You can bet there will be a whole lot of Burisma stuff come October. Maybe even Billy Barr cooking up some charges.

5. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    So now it’s not China Virus it’s Fauci Virus. As a smear campaign that was banned from Twitter and Facebook is coming to your local TV with Sinclair Broadcasting.

Local TV stations across the country set to air discredited 'Plandemic' researcher's conspiracy theory about Fauci

During the interview Mikovits told Bolling that Fauci had over the past decade "manufactured" and shipped coronaviruses to Wuhan, China, which became the original epicenter of the current outbreak. Bolling noted that this was a "hefty claim," but did not meaningfully challenge Mikovits and allowed her to continue making her case.”

https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/24/media/sinclair-fauci-conspiracy-bolling/index.html

sitruc repped this.
  6. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    So while the Lincoln group and other Reps against trump groups put out factoid based anti trump messages. Pro trump groups just get slimy. with no shame on what they do or who they choose to lie about.

sitruc and dapip repped this.
  7. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I'll cede your point about "cancelling," as it's a slippery term. But,

We believe our appeal to remove Dr. Pinker from the LSA fellows list and the list of media experts falls within the purview of the LSA because of the goals that the LSA has set for itself. In its public statement on race, the LSA “encourag[es] linguists to critically reflect on the changing nature of academic, social, cultural, and linguistic understandings of race”, and explicitly states that “there is no linguistic justice without racial justice… [this stance] requires that linguists actively work to promote equity and social justice in ways that benefit underrepresented scholars and communities of color”. We believe that the examples above show that Dr. Pinker's established pattern of behavior stands in direct opposition to the LSA’s publicly stated aims, and the work they call for.​

That bolded part sounds suspicious to me. And I question the motives of some of the sugnatories.

We want to note here that we have no desire to judge Dr. Pinker’s actions in moral terms, or claim to know what his aims are. Nor do we seek to “cancel” Dr. Pinker, or to bar him from participating in the linguistics and LSA communities (though many of our signatories may well believe that doing so would be the right course of action).​

As to that first . . . WTF? and the second. . . I'll add that that Pinker seems to have refuted the charges to a degree that satisfied the LSA, and point out again that, as public intellectuals go, Pinker is near the bottom of my list, maybe just one hair above Camille Paglia (who herself had students at her University try to get her fired and replaced by a trans person of color because they didn't like her views on gender. Neither do I, but that doesn't mean Human Resources should get involved).

blissett repped this.
  8. That's why I posted the link in the first place. Any highlight/two sentence post of scientific research is a gross simplification, as is mine. No need to point it out.
    What is important about it is the news a/the culprit of a up till then puzzling gender skewed death rate in the young population.
    This opens the door to be able to targeted intervention of such cases.

9. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    150k per day, 3k deaths before southern states decide to close.

10. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #12285 russ, Jul 25, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2020

Two points for you and Dr.Wankler:
    The struggle at this moment is too important for anything less than utter moral clarity.

Ordinary people in Murica despise libruls

charlie15 repped this.
  11. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wait are we starting a pool?

MattR repped this.
  12. KensingtonSC

KensingtonSC Still Lazy After All These Years

FC Vaduz / Philadelphia Union
    Jan 7, 2010
    Andalusia, PA
    Club:
    FC Vaduz
    I feel despondent.

- Close to 80,000 people being infected every day
    - An federal government that is actively lying about everything and stealing from its people
    - The feeling of living in a police state
    - A broadcast conglomerate that owns over-the-air networks that reach 75% of the US population is going to air a conspiracy theory documentary that an infectious disease doctor sold a virus to a foreign country to use as a weapon against his own people because "reasons"
    - Rampant selfishness
    - The forcing of children to attend schools that will ultimately lead to their getting sick
    - And our only singular hope is that our elections might be legitimate enough to elect one senile fool who won't actively try to kill us to replace the senile fool who is actively trying to kill us

[​IMG]

13. KensingtonSC

KensingtonSC Still Lazy After All These Years

FC Vaduz / Philadelphia Union
    Jan 7, 2010
    Andalusia, PA
    Club:
    FC Vaduz
    Close for good?

dapip repped this.
  14. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    As the line is "women and minorities are people", I think corporations and professional organizations should be telling people this kind of behavior is not tolerated.

Dr. Wankler and russ repped this.
  15. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    More like a cesspool or a shallow gene pool...

16. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    We might have to forfeit, not enough people to keep the states working.

russ repped this.
  17. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I can't overstate the damage caused by the attacks on the mainstream media (by the left as well as the right, although the right is guiltier), accompanied by the message that fringe lunatics have just much insight to offer as do mainstream reporters. I only quoted part of your post, but in truth, the fringe media contributed largely to every evil that you mentioned.

Q*bert Jones III repped this.
  18. chad

chad Member+

Jun 24, 1999
    Manhattan Beach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Come on now.

sitruc and usscouse repped this.
  19. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    which "senile fool" description are you objecting to?

ceezmad repped this.
  20. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    What does Joe Biden say that sounds like Donald Trump?

21. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    HE

HAS

A

STUTTER

Please stop carrying water for the GOP. They don't need your help lying.

22. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That is an absolute shitty take. I have not seen anything from Biden that deserves that crap. Pure garbage and not dissimilar to what is being spewed from the alt righters. Embarrassing.

dapip and sitruc repped this.
  23. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I put Biden's current mental faculties in the second term Ronnie camp. Not high, but far better than the alternative.

24. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let's not play the Trumpers game here and become an echo chamber of this crap. We all know well where that took us in 2016 with HRC.

25. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    At least being American soccer fans prepared us well for this feeling!

roby, russ, MattR and 1 other person repped this.