Covid-19: We don’t talk about 1-18

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Yoshou, Apr 16, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    https://www.waff.com/2020/07/16/mul...WY_cbFSu8DKyRr_tdoXfCOsaT3CNSpWm-0C_k95LsOKdI

Multiple attorneys drop cases due to mask concerns at Madison County jail

The pandemic has affected nearly every profession in someway, including lawyers.
    We’ve learned over the past several months, the fear of the virus has caused multiple attorneys to step away from cases.

Picture this: 24 inmates in one room with 19 lawyers. And the inmates are not wearing masks. Would you feel safe?
    That is the situation Huntsville attorney Robin Wolfe described at the Madison County jail, and prompted her to withdraw from the case.

Wolfe tells us she received multiple complaints from other attorneys about the conditions inside the jail.

She said, “For approximately two months, we had the ability to schedule free telephone calls with our clients on an unrecorded line which allowed us to better communicate with our clients and not enter the jail. That privilege was revoked on or about June 11, 2020. Inmates were still not afforded masks as of that date. It was a difficult decision to withdraw my name from the court appointed list after 21 years of indigent defense practice, but safety concerns were too great for my family.”

soccernutter and dapip repped this.
  2. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Yeah, like I said a few days ago, youth are stupid. I just spent an evening mostly selling cases of White Claw to the kids and while I have no idea what the heck "White Claw" is, I do get that they are going to be bringing these to parties.

Look, I understand they need to socialize. I don't want them to turn into spejics either. But this behavior is just going to make this situation drag on and on. If having life curtailed for months is unbearable, what's it going to be like to have this over our head for a year or two?

Dr. Wankler and crazypete13 repped this.
  3. chad

chad Member+

Jun 24, 1999
    Manhattan Beach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

ElJefe, chaski and crazypete13 repped this.
  4. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Shall we have a sweep on when California, Florida and Texas surpass New York?

New York 410,254
    California 369,744
    Florida 327,233
    Texas 319,102

5. almango

almango Member+

Sydney FC
    Australia
    Nov 29, 2004
    Bulli, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    A quote from the Victorian Premier when asked about people complaining about stay at home orders on social media

" [There is] a very clear message to all Victorians, particularly some of those featured on social media. Whether you are in Broadmeadows or Brighton, stay at home means stay at home, and if walking your local streets is boring, well, being bored is much better than being in intensive care."

So far some examples of people who have been fined since stay at home was reintroduced in the Melbourne metro area

-A couple who drove a 200km round trip to take a walk by the beach as their daily exercise
    -A man who travelled from Werribee on the south west outskirts to the city to get some butter chicken takeaway
    -A man who ordered KFC and then refused to leave the restaurant until he ate it.

The stay at home orders are basically stay at home unless you nee to leave for one of the following

-Work (where you can't work at home)
    -Health care
    -buying essentials
    -daily exercise
    -compassionate reasons

Social distancing to be maintained as much as possible when leaving home, and masks recommended, but not mandatory, if social distancing is difficult.

All pubs and clubs and restaurants are closed except where they provide takeaway services. Lots more stuff is closed but I don't have a complete list. Currently recording hundreds of daily cases but haven't topped 500 yet in a single day.

There have also been several people arrested for trying to travel interstate without a permit.

dapip, Dr. Wankler and crazypete13 repped this.
  6. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    It's alcoholic soda.

7. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can only imagine the controversy if people were fined for doing those things in the US.

As it says in The Constitution:

ARTICLE XXVIII

1. The right of citizens to chicken done right will not be denied or abridged by the United States or any State; nor their right to savory side dishes, including, but not limited to, biscuits and hot, mashed potatoes with gravy; nor to universal utensils comprising elements of a spoon and a fork; nor to moist towelettes for after-meal hygiene.

2. No citizen will be denied a choice of cooking methods for their chicken, be it deep-fried or slow-roasted to perfection. Nor shall any citizen ever be denied fast, friendly service.

https://politics.theonion.com/congress-passes-amendment-guaranteeing-right-to-chicken-1819564025

Kazuma, song219, ElJefe and 6 others repped this.
  8. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    As near as I can tell, White Claw is sort of like an updated Bartles and Jaymes for a new generation.

QuakeAttack, Kazuma, Dr. Wankler and 2 others repped this.
  9. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    American's have finally discovered the delights of adding alcohol to just about anything.

In England we put alcohol in kids drinks:
    Screenshot_20200718-012124_Chrome.jpg

russ repped this.
  10. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    I'm pretty sure that beverages like White Claw are (in truth) intended for the underage crowd.

11. JamesA

JamesA Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Um, not so much. The underage crowd prefer sweeter drinks.

Things like White Claw are aimed more at the health conscious, calorie counting crowd.

rslfanboy, Dr. Wankler and russ repped this.
  12. JamesA

JamesA Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    It's part of the alcoholic seltzer trend. Thats different and is focused on no sugar, low calorie options.

sitruc and xtomx repped this.
  13. luftmensch

luftmensch Member+

United States
    May 4, 2006
    Petaluma
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I had no idea either, after a cursory search it appears to be the latest iteration of mildly alcoholic beverage for children who want to get drunk but don't enjoy the taste of alcohol. In my day we had wine coolers for that.

Edit: so exactly what Knave said.

14. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I am well aware of that. That's why I feel that painting Obama as the presindent "of Blacks only" is as much dispariging as painting all Whites as Trump's supporters.

15. stanger

stanger BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kinda.

According to my college-age daughter, it’s because the kids don’t like craft beers.

I have tried a few of these seltzer drinks because my wife and daughter have filled my beer fridge with them and a few are quite good.

Any of the grapefruit flavors taste like spray deodorant.

Q*bert Jones III and Dr. Wankler repped this.
  16. chaski

chaski Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 20, 2000
    redacted
    Club:
    Lisburn Distillery FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Turks and Caicos Islands
    I’ve got a six-pack and nothing to do

song219, chad, luftmensch and 4 others repped this.
  17. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And yet they ate allowed to vote.No wonder things are a mess.

18. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I wanted to come back on this because there are several matters raised that are important...

Just looking at the numbers of people dying now in the states and comparing it to the number of people that were being infected, say, 3-4 weeks ago, (so, allowing for a 'lead time', as it were), maybe the treatments that have been developed are beginning to have greater success?

We already know about Dexamethasone and I'm guessing there will be others being developed alongside various techniques and other treatments.
    In the absence of a treatment or vaccine this is probably the biggest single factor in getting back to some form of normalcy.
    The new mRNA vaccines sound like the way forward in that regard. I know ICL are working on one but I think there are others...

https://www.itv.com/news/london/202...ondon-to-start-human-covid-19-vaccine-trials/

https://www.imperial.ac.uk/news/198913/everything-need-know-about-imperials-covid-19/

As the vaccine enlists the help of your own body to produce the spike proteins, only a very tiny dose is needed for each person. One litre of the Imperial COVID-19 vaccine could be used to vaccinate two million people. To produce that many doses with a conventional vaccine, you might need ten thousand litres.

There's something one of the doctors says on there that I hadn't really considered before about the issue of side-effects...

As she says, you almost want there to be some sign that the body has recognised that something has changed.
    Good find :)

What was the bit about 'Exposure to other more common viruses help some people fight COVID-19'?

I haven't heard that.

InTheSun, russ and Dr. Wankler repped this.
  19. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I was about to make a comment about kids these days lowering standards. Then I remembered that 9 out of every 10 craft beer I've come across recently, just are not all that good while being markedly overpriced.

YMMV, obviously

Kazuma, sitruc, stanger and 10 others repped this.
  20. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    Craft beer. Stuff it up with hops ‘till it’s undrinkable and call it IPA. Crap beer.

I make my own Shandy on a hot day.

21. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lemonade is for vodka not beer

Dr. Wankler and xtomx repped this.
  22. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    Summer means Busch Light.

23. Chicago76

Chicago76 Member+

Jun 9, 2002
    #11548 Chicago76, Jul 18, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2020
    Yeah. I’ll cut them some additional slack. 95% of all underage drinkers—and a strong majority of those 21-24 too—drink garbage regardless of era.

Lets not pretend in 1982 some 20 year old named Mitch was driving to a party in his El Camino bringing something other than a beer on par with Stroh’s or a few bottles of Boone’s Farm “for the ladies”.

24. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    yeah but you don't make a shandy with what Americans call lemonade, it's beer + what they call lemonade in the UK i.e. more like Sprite :)

nothing better on a scorching day than a nice shandy.

MattR, usscouse and russ repped this.
  25. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh I've had them Leinies makes a good one.Like a vodka and lemonade or Sprite (or Fresca) better.

SamScouse, Dr. Wankler and xtomx repped this.