Covid-19: Vax Americana

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Yoshou, Apr 8, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    European countries have frequently loosened and tightened various restrictions based on waves. However, they haven't done so with the Delta variant because they haven't really needed to. Their vaccination rates in many European countries is significantly higher than the US, so when the Delta variant rolled through their countries, the impact was much less severe than the US.

Australia has gone back into lockdown due to Delta.

russ repped this.
  2. JamesA

JamesA Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Which is why I said developed nations, who pretty much all counted to some degree.

For example, the US is roughly 8 times larger than Canada population wise, but currently sits at least 3 times the number of deaths per capita and is continuing to out pace us.

That plays out time and again comparing to all the developed countries.

3. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    A lot of people didn't even have their own bathroom or plumbed sewerage in those days

4. JamesA

JamesA Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    In BC, we're roughly 85% of normal open in terms of restrictions, plus we have a mask mandate indoors.

We're at 80% full vaxxed now of all 12+ and 86% with at least 1 dose, and still rising slowly.

Delta has still ripped through our unvaccinated people and caused significant headaches in specific health regions.

We're seeing about 20 - 25% of our infections in full vaxxed people and about 15% of hospitalizations being fully vaxxed. The rest are unvaxxed.

And, nobody under 50 in ICU who is fully vaxxed, then a few in their 50's and mostly our vaxxed ICU people are 65+.

We're now seeing Delta emerge in our school system mostly in under 12s of course, but we're staying the course for now with very few school restrictions.

5. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Excuses, excuses ;)

6. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    For instance in germany under "soft lockdown" you could pretty much go out whenever you wanted. (There was a curfew at once stage).

The main restrictions were work from home (where possible), home school, shop restrictions (click and collect etc) and closure of restaurants and bars.

The german lock downs were nowhere near Jacinda Nazi level

7. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Europe so far hasn't needed to because it is summer, with increasing Vaxx levels.

Australia is under heavy lockdowns

8. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Apparently I may be able to travel to the UK and back in November without isolating. I'm not sure the timing makes any sense.

9. Kazuma

Kazuma Member+

Chelsea
    Jul 30, 2007
    Detroit
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Funny story about that:

My mom tried to make bread on her own one day. She encountered a hurdle so she called my great-grandmother (Her grandmother*) for advice on baking bread. Great-grandmother proceeded to tell her, "I haven't made bread since you could buy it at the store."

*: My great-grandmother was all of 5 years old when the 1918 pandemic ended. In her lifetime from 1915 to 2008, she witnessed a lot of change, that which I could list is long. But what she did witness tends to put things into perspective for me.

Ismitje, russ, soccernutter and 4 others repped this.
  10. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Agreed

In my dads small town, they still had a night cart into the 50s IIRC

Then the guy died and they couldn't find anyone to do the job - so ultimately the town got plumbed in sewers

11. Kazuma

Kazuma Member+

Chelsea
    Jul 30, 2007
    Detroit
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    My dad is an early adapter of technology. He loved showing my great-grandmother the latest gadget.

Grandma was once excited when cell phones became a thing. Dad had one and as a prank, had my grandma call her sisters. She was giddy about it.

12. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    https://www.cnn.com/2021/09/21/us/no-mask-policy-restaurant-couple-texas-trnd/index.html?utm_term=link&utm_content=2021-09-21T18:04:02&utm_medium=social&utm_source=fbCNN&fbclid=IwAR36Wu7enD7opdF8HSY7CzCm7KBm0At9XXXWG06Sl-nD0PQ5c-qGIrktasA

A Texas couple wore face masks at a restaurant to protect their immunocompromised infant. The owner asked them to leave

Hang Time restaurant and bar, Rowett, TX.

Mods, it's in the damn article. Can you PLEASE, for the love of everything that might someday have a chance of turning out good in this country, stop abetting anti-maskers? Please?

13. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Bizarro world, aka Tennessee:

Mike03, Auriaprottu and celito repped this.
  14. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Deserves this ...

[​IMG]

ShayG and NORML repped this.
  15. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's not as simple a take as this tho. The guidance is unvaccinated, partially vaccinated, and immuno-compromised vaccinated. This actually makes sense because, so far, the data shows that vaccinated people who don't have compromised immune systems are simply not at risk of serious Covid and, considering the whole point of regeneron is to prevent hospitalization, there is no point in wasting it on vaccinated without compromised immune systems.

https://www.wbir.com/article/news/h...tment/51-f8f0c49d-e6e5-4e62-af1d-b5b705abc762

16. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Doesn't get much worse than this. In any sensible kind of world, you don't vax, you get to try to survive on fruit juices and Saturday Church.

17. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    How much point is there in giving it to folks who've already proven (large percentage- not saying 100%) they don't care about their health or anyone else's? It's nice and all to think of trying to save everyone, but that ship sailed.

luftmensch and Q*bert Jones III repped this.
  18. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In another instance of a self-own by the anti-vaxxers. Anti-vaxxers on Tiktok have taken to calling themselves "purebloods". Aside from the obvious racist connection and ties to Nazis. There's also the fact that they are tying it to Harry Potter where it is a reference to "pure" Wizards and was the doctrine for the followers of the villain of the series, Lord Voldemort. So not only are they tying it to a fascist organization that lead a terrorist campaign that murdered hundreds if not thousands of people, but an organization whose followers ultimately ended up being killed, or imprisoned for their crimes.

https://www.vice.com/en/article/7kvywd/unvaccinated-tiktok-purebloods-covid

dapip and Auriaprottu repped this.
  19. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Thanks for this. Confirms what I've always been taught about this side of the political aisle... But is it accurate to call it a self-own when this is not just who they are, but who they've always wanted to be?

dapip repped this.
  20. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Not sure if someone's linked to it but this is some hopeful news...

https://www.theguardian.com/society...ter-jab-hoped-to-protect-against-new-variants

The first trials have begun of a Covid booster jab that it is hoped will offer good protection against a wide range of variants, researchers have revealed.

Covid jabs currently used in the UK trigger an immune response towards the coronavirus spike protein, which helps the virus get into human cells.

However, different variants of the coronavirus have different mutations in this protein, meaning a vaccine that works well against one variant may not be as effective against another.

The team behind the new booster jab hope to get around this problem by triggering an immune response towards the spike and non-spike proteins of the coronavirus.

“This vaccine targets not just the spike protein but also the nucleocapsid protein. This varies much less than the spike protein and therefore the hope is that it will be more proof against current and future variants,” said Prof Andrew Ustianowski, a consultant in infectious diseases and tropical medicine at North Manchester General hospital, and chief investigator for the study.

The phase 1 trial is a collaboration between the US pharmaceutical company Gritstone, the University of Manchester and Manchester University NHS foundation trust and is expected to involve 20 participants aged 60 and over, all of whom have previously been vaccinated with the Oxford/AstraZeneca jab. Each participant will receive the booster, with one of two different doses.

I guess they're going to be taking it slowly in rolling this out as it sounds like very new technology.

rslfanboy repped this.
  21. almango

almango Member+

Sydney FC
    Australia
    Nov 29, 2004
    Bulli, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Only our two most populous states. It got out of hand in Sydney and it spread to regional NSW and Victoria. Victoria tried to stamp it out but haven't succeeded. The other states are still using border control and short sharp lockdowns if needed. The sharp lockdowns have grown in length with Delta. Before 3-5 days seemed to work but with delta it seems that you need 7-14 days. If you haven't got it pegged in 14 days or if numbers get into the hundreds then extended shutdowns are needed. 3 months down the track in NSW we seem to have peaked in terms of cases and as vaccination rates rise some restrictions will be gradually eased. Victoria are about 4 weeks behind NSW in their outbreak and at the moment seem to be plateauing but its too early to say for sure. NSW expect to reach 70% of the 16+ population vaccinated (2 doses) in mid October with 80% (the target where most restrictions may be eased) a few weeks behind that. Victoria is probably about a fortnight behind NSW in reaching those targets. The other states should reach them by the end of the year. Queensland, South Australia, Western Australia, Tasmania and the Northern Territory are currently at covid zero.

Yoshou repped this.
  22. rslfanboy

rslfanboy Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Section 26
    Good to take this slowly. If myocarditis is a complication when just targeting the spike protein, I can imagine a scenario where the targeting of another protein on top of that may have some other unintended consequences as well.

As an armchair epidemiologist, I think the nucleocapsid protein is the one that helps in rna transcription, which is the one that may be involved in the self-editing the transcription process, which is keeping this virus from mutating wildly like influenza. A combo of reducing its ability to infect, as well as reproduce without harmful (for the virus) mutations would be a super-effective 1-2 punch.

Naughtius Maximus repped this.
  23. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We should be getting booster shot data from Israel pretty soon, they are ahead of everyone in getting people a 3rd vaccine.

24. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Perhaps, but will it be trustworthy? Pretty much every pre-print study my vaccine hesitant cousin and her anti-vax siblings send to me are out of Israel. Then, when I look into the studies, I find they made simple errors that caused the results anti-vaxxers can now use…

As an example, the study saying that vaccines were only 30%effective against the Delta variant turned out to be wrong because they failed to account for immunocompromised

25. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Yes. Sykes did an indepth about what has happened at Claremont

In the flight 93 essay, the author basically burns down the entire content of the think tank, to find a way to align with Trump at any cost. Which is why the essay because very popular.

So now at Claremont, alongside more established and respectable names, you have utter wingnuts who are writing about how liberals are vermin who need to be wiped out - so 100% nazi talk.

This has happened at a number of other places like National Review - who laughably last week had to argue against their own pro-vaxx mandate essay from 2015.

Increasingly these places are just content shops for propaganda, whereas they used to have some kind of coherent ideology. Trumpism should be a five fire alarm at Cato, Reason, NR etc - but instead they actively support or tolerate him.

Mike03, JohnR, charlie15 and 2 others repped this.