Covid-19: Vax Americana

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Yoshou, Apr 8, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. almango

almango Member+

Sydney FC
    Australia
    Nov 29, 2004
    Bulli, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    I had a mild fever that lasted about 12 hours but nothing else. My mother started coughing up blood (quite a lot actually) and spent a week in hospital, the first few days in isolation until they ruled out TB, but they reckoned it wasn't because of the vaccine. I'm a bit dubious about this and my mother doesn't want to get a second dose and I can't blame her. We will have to wait for next year when other vaccines may be available for people in her age group.

I should add that was about 6 weeks ago and she is now fully recovered.

rslfanboy repped this.
  2. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We are approximately one month out from this post and Canada has or will overtake the UK in either today or tomorrow on all the relevant vaccine metrics (% any doses delivered, % second doses, total doses administered per capita).

At the same time, Canadian health officials are saying that they expect a Delta fourth wave in the autumn.

I'm not replying to this for "gotcha" reasons. In many ways Canada has responsibly used the past month to overtake the UK, who have lagged behind and made huge mistakes.

Instead, I'm bringing it up to point out that even when a country does everything correctly, Delta still poses a huge threat in the short term.

3. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good article from Josh Marshall.

The Vaccinated Turn Against the Unvaccinated

Josh Marshall: “Among the vaccinated there’s a growing realization that we’re going backwards, seeing rates go up, seeing some mask mandates come back because of the non-vaccinated. And people are getting frustrated.”

“That is a big part of why you’re seeing Republicans not simply encouraging people to get vaccinated but even more trying to ditch the vaccine-resistant brand. They’re feeling exposed to shifting public opinion. In short, they don’t want to be accountable for what they’ve done.”

Naughtius Maximus, xtomx, chad and 2 others repped this.
  4. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is this the same gringo that covers Liga MX?

He is usually pretty good with transfer news.

5. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Older people have been around long enough to recognize political bullshit when they see it.

My brother in law isn't getting his second shot - no reason given.

6. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I think you meant to write "embrace."

[​IMG]

7. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    I had actually heard the opposite that the dose 1 reaction was worse.

8. rslfanboy

rslfanboy Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Section 26
    That is AWFUL! :eek: So sorry.

9. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Those old people voted for trump because they liked the racism and owning the libs, not because they are anti-vaxxers. As Celito's graph shows, on the important issue of whether or not to get vaccinated, old people see through the bullshit.

soccernutter repped this.
  10. Kazuma

Kazuma Member+

Chelsea
    Jul 30, 2007
    Detroit
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Little side effects from the first shot, just a sore arm mostly but that was from working out after.

2nd shot I had nausea and fever but spent most of the day sleeping.

11. JamesA

JamesA Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I think you need to moderate your use of the term "huge" in this context.

Yes, Canada expects a fourth wave, because, well, vaccines aren't 100% effective.

But, we believe our health system has the capacity to handle this fourth wave, because of vaccine. And, we think it will be a shorter and lower peak than wave 3, similar to what appears to be happening currently in the UK.

It's clearly a threat, but it's muted due to our higher vaccine rate.

12. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree; huge in the sense of being comparable to a bad flu season, not huge like what happened last winter. Shoulda clarified.

13. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    So your argument is that old people are intentionally terrible people, as opposed to accidentally bad?

OK, based on my experience, I can go with that.

14. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    #4114 usscouse, Jul 27, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2021
    My first was just nothing, no problem at all. The second I was fine for about 5 hours. Then I hit the wall and slept 13 hours. Felt good actually.
    (Moderna)

raza_rebel repped this.
  15. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    I mean that might be part of it, but I suspect the stronger factor is that they are simply more susceptible to dying or getting very sick from COVID. The threat is just more real for them - they are more likely to be close to someone who croaked or maybe they're friends with someone in a nursing home who they couldn't visit for a year, etc. etc.

ceezmad repped this.
  16. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Moderna
    My first, has slight light-headedness at about 15 min which lasted maybe 10 minutes. Just waited it out in the lounge.
    My second, maybe a bit of tiredness, but that also could have been because I didn't get enough sleep that night before. I used to correlation is not causation to decide it was not shot related.

Pfizer/BioNTech
    Mom's first shot was fine until a few hours after, and then she got mild flu like symptoms but not enough to knock her out, though she did sleep longer than usual.
    Second shot was boring. She even said her shoulder was worse after the first shot.

17. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    IOW, they are less susceptible to anti-vaxx bullshit.

18. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tokyo hits a record high in +ve cases today.

19. JamesA

JamesA Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I had zero side effects from either shot.

My wife had nothing from shot 1 but felt a bit sick after shot 2. Headache, slightly tired, chills, etc...like a mild one day flu. Normal again within a day.

20. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You ever gone grocery shopping in a really poor neighborhood (urban OR rural)?

russ, stanger, crazypete13 and 3 others repped this.
  21. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I didn't realize that the same thing happens in poor rural areas, but now that you write that, it makes sense.

bigredfutbol repped this.
  22. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It would be VERY difficult to commit to eating a healthy diet of non-processed food with a lot of fresh veggies and fruit in, say, the rural Kansas county my parents grew up in. The selection in a lot of small grocery stores in rural areas is not a whole lot different than what you'd find at a knockoff 7/11 in an economically depressed urban neighborhood.

rslfanboy and Dr. Wankler repped this.
  23. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Still very low numbers though. COVID death count will never get that high in Japan. Even now they are only one-tenth of where the US is and many Americans think the pandemic is over. :ROFLMAO:

It is quite amazing how countries have such different approaches / views of this virus.

24. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    I so don't get this

I got J&J and am trying to figure out how I can get 2x Pfizer on top

bigredfutbol repped this.
  25. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Jack Monroe has written fascinating stuff on this topic - starting out as a blogger in poverty, and trying to help people live on bugger all money. One of the biggest problems is being unable to take advantages of economies of scale. e.g out here on the land, i can go to the farm-hof and buy 5KG of great potatoes for 4 euros. Not so easy in the city, where you can't afford to flop so much on one item where you might be trying to feed your fam on 20 or less.

Monroe came to prominence in the media through writing the blog A Girl Called Jack, sharing cheap recipes created as a single parent with a young child, and aiming to provide family meals for less than £10 per week.[17] In December 2015, the blog was renamed as Cooking on a Bootstrap.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Monroe

soccernutter and bigredfutbol repped this.