COVID-19: OhMyCronus!

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by argentine soccer fan, Nov 29, 2021.

1. Sounders78

Sounders78 Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Olympia
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Alas, impossible to pull off because people are selfish pricks.

bigredfutbol and xtomx repped this.
  2. MattR

MattR Member+

Jun 14, 2003
    Reston
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I see you and I have a similar worldview. Cheers!

xtomx repped this.
  3. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Two Idaho legislators propose making it a misdemeanor to administer vaccines from mRNA

https://www.ktvb.com/article/news/l...ture/277-2436a514-e7da-4b31-9762-f9be10300075

1. You just KNOW there’s about 20 wingnut legislators in every state thinking, shit, why didn’t I think of that?
    2. Legal beagles out there…would such a law pass constitutional muster?
    3. I want to move to Idaho and become a nurse so I can file my freedom of religion lawsuit against this stupid bullshit. My sincere religious belief is that unnecessary deaths are bad.

Chesco United and BocaFan repped this.
  4. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does it spread easily?

One of the 'good' things about Ebola is that it is hard to spread.

5. Seems to be the case, but it's so leathal it stops itself in it's tracks. Dunno if that still applies in densely populated environments.

6. chaski

chaski Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 20, 2000
    redacted
    Club:
    Lisburn Distillery FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Turks and Caicos Islands
    Why do you hate our freedoms?

bigredfutbol, rslfanboy and xtomx repped this.
  7. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Northern Wisconsin, but not far from civilization
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    That was my first thought when I read this. I almost posted the same thing.

Good job.

8. chaski

chaski Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 20, 2000
    redacted
    Club:
    Lisburn Distillery FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Turks and Caicos Islands
    HAIL GRIMES!!

roby and spejic repped this.
  9. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    This article from The News quoting the National Bureau of Economic Research. Certainly supports that first part of your post.

5847EBA2-44F2-4201-B7F3-446D689854F7.jpeg

EvanJ repped this.
  10. MattR

MattR Member+

Jun 14, 2003
    Reston
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    National Bureau of Economic Research? Sounds like some liberal big gov't claptrap. That ain't in the Constitution! Fake Newz!

11. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    rslfanboy and Dr. Wankler repped this.
  12. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    These paragraphs (for those paywalled)?

There’s an idea in sociology that, as social creatures, we are only ourselves because we perform being those selves every day; our individual identities depend on the frameworks in which we’re embedded. But during this first act of the pandemic, the entire theater in which many people gave those performances crumbled. “Like, if I’m working in a hospital,” Milstein explained, “I think of myself as a doctor. I’m someone who can save my patients. But now I’m in a situation where I can’t save my patients. So am I still that? Or am I still a teacher if I’m not going to school?” This kind of subtle identity crisis was replicated millions of times, all across New York City and the world. Hagen and Milstein were also picking up on a separate kind of “socio-material crisis”: a breakdown in the predictability of the material world around you. That elevator button you push every day might suddenly be a vector of disease. Grocery shelves might be empty. Even the city itself seemed to be, in an experiential sense, dissolving; “New York City is right now a very abstract concept,” one woman in the Bronx explained: a disjointed set of neighborhoods that most people had ceased traveling among.

The sociologists told me about a third, more abstract crisis as well: In their view, time basically stopped working. They showed me a diagram they had worked up to illustrate this three-pronged predicament. It bore the title “Phenomenological Model of Crisis With No Resolution,” and, though it was just two blue shapes with some hot pink arrows running between them, it expressed ideas that would take several paragraphs to break down. But the upshot was: People were stuck. With everything suddenly up for grabs — with people’s identities undermined and their surroundings untrustworthy — the narrators struggled to negotiate, and find meaning in, the details of their daily lives. And without any sense of when the pandemic would end, it became impossible to break out of that malaise, to project oneself into a future that kept evaporating ahead of you.

To describe that limbo, Milstein and Hagen used the term “ontological insecurity” — a play, they explained, on “ontological security,” a well-known concept within the field. In sociology, the term is most associated with the English sociologist Anthony Giddens who defined ontological security as a “person’s fundamental sense of safety in the world” — a belief in the reliability of our surroundings and the continuity of our own life stories within them. It’s ontological security that allows us to “keep a particular narrative going,” Giddens wrote.

Ontological insecurity does explain a few things. Oh, and mods: there are about 100 other paragraphs not quoted.

Yet.

13. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    In not so surprising news, Woody's anti-vax

1629822377013002240 is not a valid tweet id

14. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    or, he’s an actor reading his lines. One or the other.

In other news, I can’t believe booking.com has a murderous Baltimore drug lord as its spokesperson.

Not only that, but Allstate has had an unrepentant criminal as its spokesperson for over a decade now.

15. marek

marek Member+

Lechia Gdańsk
    Jun 27, 2000
    Club:
    OSP Lechia Gdansk
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland

I cannot vouch for all of these… but there are some on that list that are entirely true

16. luftmensch

luftmensch Member+

United States
    May 4, 2006
    Petaluma
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Another thing that came to mind was the MAGA cult. The whole arch-conservative movement at this point is a desperate defense against a world that's changing more quickly than they can comprehend or are comfortable with, and their impulse is to lash out against those they believe are the agents of that change.

Mike03 and Dr. Wankler repped this.
  17. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Well explain which are & which aren't. Show your work with science & not conjecture.

American Brummie repped this.
  18. marek

marek Member+

Lechia Gdańsk
    Jun 27, 2000
    Club:
    OSP Lechia Gdansk
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    yes, I’ll get right on that

single or double spaced?
    and should I use simple words so you can understand?

19. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    You should blow some steam off first or you might have a mental meltdown

giphy (4).gif

20. marek

marek Member+

Lechia Gdańsk
    Jun 27, 2000
    Club:
    OSP Lechia Gdansk
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    right, simple words it is
    I’ll try not to go over two syllables per word

21. Sounders78

Sounders78 Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Olympia
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    France

Stop while you're behind. Remember this discussion a page or so back?

Apparently you didn't learn your lesson, so I'll put it plainly - DON'T TRUST THE RIGHT-WING SOURCES YOU GET YOUR INFO FROM - they're not reliable.

Mike03, xtomx and Cascarino's Pizzeria repped this.
  22. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    top expert 'justin hart' & substacker at "covidreason'

Mike03, rslfanboy and xtomx repped this.
  23. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The only thing Western policymakers got wrong was school closures. Everything else they got pretty much spot-on.

@marek , over here where I live we had knowledge of asymptomatic spread in March 2020.

One of my friends shared an academic article suggesting 80% of covid cases were asymptomatic -- now he was only a medical professional and not an expert in medicine, so don't you go trusting him.

Just because you don't read or watch a story does not mean the story does not exist. My son's puzzle piece continues to exist under the couch, he's two, and he gets it. Why don't you?

Mike03 and rslfanboy repped this.
  24. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    I'd be interested to see that article. Or at least a citation.

Neither my sister nor I have had a symptomatic case, but we've both been exposed numerous times. We both absolutely should have contracted it. My thinking at this point is maybe we did, but for whatever reason, perhaps genetics, we weren't symptomatic.

rslfanboy and The Jitty Slitter repped this.
  25. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    What people need to understand is that Fauci controlled all the scientists and media in the west and they all went along with his plan to create the prison lockdown planet

chaski, spejic, luftmensch and 2 others repped this.