COVID-19: OhMyCronus!

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by argentine soccer fan, Nov 29, 2021.

1. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    xtomx repped this.
  2. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    Wear a mask, get vaxed, and keep on licking those doorknobs!

:thumbsup:

sitruc, M, argentine soccer fan and 3 others repped this.
  3. ElNaranja

ElNaranja Member+

Houston Dynamo
    United States
    Jul 16, 2017
    Cmon...it's not like Facebook has been used to commit genocide, topple a government, or livecast a mass shooting, or spread Russian disinformation to get a particular government outcome they want, or kill hundreds of thousands of their rivals.

Wear a mask, get the jab and booster. From a professional in the field to everyone else.

First page!

Dage, TimB4Last, sitruc and 5 others repped this.
  4. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #5 russ, Nov 29, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2021
    Public service announcement:

There are a bunch of other shitty non-COVID viruses out there.A person would be wise to wear a mask,practice good hand and cough hygiene,and avoid large indoor crowds even if COVID didn't exist.

If you don't believe me,do your own research, dumbasses.

Signed,Tony Fauci

sitruc, Deadtigers, M and 5 others repped this.
  5. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I still don’t know what you’re talking about, because you seemed to be tagging me with it, and I don’t moderate the political forums.

6. One in 5 infected carehome inhabitants in the Netherlands die despite being vaxxinated, the study of dr Cees Hertogh of Amsterdam UMC shows. This is the same %% as when nobody was vaxxed.

https://www.ad.nl/binnenland/een-op...ghuisbewoners-sterft-ondanks-vaccin~aec365b3/

Een op vijf besmette verpleeghuisbewoners sterft ondanks vaccin

Van de gevaccineerde verpleeghuisbewoners die de afgelopen maanden toch het coronavirus opliepen, is een op de vijf overleden - ongeveer hetzelfde percentage als vorig najaar. Dat berekende hoogleraar ouderengeneeskunde Cees Hertogh.

Binnenlandredactie 29-11-21, 13:02

7. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Someone said something on the previous thread, (@yossarian ?), to the effect that Ted Cruz was either an idiot or, arguably worse, knew he was talking dangerous nonsense. I just wanted to say that, IMO, there's no argument to be had. Saying something that's dangerous and false is definitely worse when you know it not be true and are intelligent enough to understand the significance of the lie.

It's one thing to be an idiot or misinformed. It's something else to be a psychopath.

Deadtigers repped this.
  8. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The man bought canned soup for his new bride because she couldn't cook.What the f else do you need to know?

9. What brand was it?

10. Kazuma

Kazuma Member+

Chelsea
    Jul 30, 2007
    Detroit
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Two weeks ago I woke up with a sinus headache, aches, and felt like I ran 3 marathons in a week. On top of that, I had a persistent cough that just loved making itself known every chance it got. I felt much better a few days before Thanksgiving.

It wasn't Covid, but it was still not fun. Forgot that despite Covid, you can still get sick in other ways.

11. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Isn't that to be expected?

Think about it. Last time there were extensive efforts to isolate care homes and not allow any contact with the outside world. In some care homes half the residents died. Other care homes, nobody died from covid, (although they died from other things, obviously).

So overall about 20% died but it was heavily skewed to individual care homes,

This time, people are vaccinated BUT there has been greater freedom to have visitors so I'd imagine the deaths will be spread more evenly.

Of course, the other point, (and I hate to break it to people), is that the chance of care homes residents dying eventually is 100%, i.e. the same as the rest of us that aren't in a care home... just a lot sooner. The median stay in a care home over here is just over 18 months, IIRC, because, eventually, somethings gonna take us out.

As that article says, (the google translate version of it anyway),...

The total number of infections in nursing homes this autumn was considerably lower than last autumn, during the 'second wave'. In the same system, which is used by about one in three nursing homes, more than 3200 infections were registered at the time.

I mean, this is all pretty much as one would expect, isn't it?

People die eventually of something, particularly if they're old and infirm and need to be in a care home. If it's not covid, it's flu or pneumonia that made my old man 'fall off the twig', as he described it. I saw him every day and, if I'd have been as frail and susceptible as him, I would have died. Who knows... maybe it was me that gave it to him... or it could have been one of the staff.

We can take all sensible steps to delay it but, unfortunately, we can't ban death.

12. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Well, quite! :)

13. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    argentine soccer fan repped this.
  14. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Northern Wisconsin, but not far from civilization
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Naughtius Maximus repped this.
  15. diablodelsol

diablodelsol Member+

Jan 10, 2001
    New Jersey
    What about when you’re just asking questions?

ElNaranja, xtomx and Naughtius Maximus repped this.
  16. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How many Americans died of Ebola in 2014?

17. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All kinds.IIRC

18. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    It's all Dutch to me

Deadtigers and xtomx repped this.
  19. Smurfquake

Smurfquake Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2000
    San Carlos, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How many points did Michael Jordan score in his career in the month of March?

21. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think if you examined how you handled threads where you were a moderator in 2014-2016, when Donald Trump used Ebola disinformation and fearmongering as an outsized springboard to capturing the GOP nomination, you might see where I'm coming from. Your history on this is one of permitting disinformation on infectious diseases. Hence why it's rich that you would chime in.

22. roby

roby Member+

SIRLOIN SALOON FC, PITTSFIELD MA
    Feb 27, 2005
    So Cal
    Nah...it was GoYA'S :coffee:

dapip, soccernutter and xtomx repped this.
  23. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Northern Wisconsin, but not far from civilization
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Well, that is "brilliant," it seems.

dapip and soccernutter repped this.
  24. Phillyspur

Phillyspur Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Mar 18, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    The important part is one in five *infected* people. It ignores the fact that the vaccine reduces the number of infections. Elsewhere in the article it talks of 395 infections this year vs. 3200 last year... If that is an apples to apples comparison, there's only 1 infection now for every 8 last year.

So in absolute terms the deaths due to COVID are much lower now. But y'know, headlines get clicks.

onefineesq, Deadtigers, sitruc and 4 others repped this.