Alert: Covid-19 and our favorite team

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by TyffaneeSue, Mar 11, 2020.

1. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
  2. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If and when we get the test that will tell if you have had the virus it could prove your herd immunity theory.

3. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Yes, I posted that yesterday: antibodies tests could prove or disprove my theory.

Earthshaker repped this.
  4. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio continuing to lead by example. :)

5. ColinMcCarthy

ColinMcCarthy Member+

Apr 2, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Thanks Quakes05. I've been a member here since forever and just because I don't post often doesn't mean I don't read. I've come back to be with my Quakes family I guess and it looks dysfunctional. That makes me sad. Instead of lifting me up, it's bringing me down.

I guess I would agree for the most part that we're grown ups and can handle it but the instances I highlighted were where people weren't being civil, and it disappointed me.

Calling people crazy, insulting someone's service to the less fortunate stated to deflect an insinuation that one did not care about them, and taking potshots at people not in your posts are all behaviors of folks that need moderation.

Or at least to take a deep breath.

Quakes05 repped this.
  6. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    If you look at the analyses of 1918 -- and there is plenty of material online -- they do discuss dozens of cities, their policies, and their deaths/capita. For example, this page shows 36 cities. Across the board, implementing social distancing earlier -- a week could make a huge difference (exponential growth and all) -- and kept up the restrictions longer had better results.

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/...-curve-1918-spanish-flu-pandemic-coronavirus/

7. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    "Social distancing" is not synonymous with "shelter in place."

8. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    No, it isn't, but that's the language of that particular article (which I cited to show that many cities had been studied!). If you read the prior citation, you can see that in San Francisco it entailed shutting down schools and public places -- not SIP, but minimizing opportunities to mingle. People were also required to wear face masks or pay fines.

This is really just a math issue. If you saw the WaPo animation, one infected person in a large pool can and will expose everyone in that pool to infection if everyone is free to move around (and does so). Since we don't know why some people are affected more than others, it's not safe for anyone who hasn't recovered from the virus to be out and about in that pool right now.

I know there are a lot of people who think they had the virus back in December, but I don't buy it. This is a highly contagious virus and a substantial percentage of infected people become seriously ill. We would have seen more hospital crowding by late January, which was what I was expecting after tracking Wuhan.

9. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    In other words, there are indeed "narrowly tailored" alternatives to shelter in place, which underscores the unconstitutionality of Governor Newsom's edict.

10. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    And, I'm not trying to be argumentative for the sake of it. We should be focusing on narrowly tailored ways we can achieve social distancing while allowing people to get back to work ASAP. It's good law. It's good policy. And ultimately good politics.

11. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
  12. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Feel free to bring a class action lawsuit, but if SIP were clearly unconstitutional, I'd expect to hear more screaming from the occupant of the WH. Instead, he's praising Newsom. Go figure.

When a government starts stripping citizenship from natural born citizens, or prohibiting one particular segment of the population from attending school or working, or destroying the homes of that same segment, then we'll talk. It's a slippery slope to be sure, but I am confident that our leaders are mindful of their constitutional obligations, and are guided by their mandate to keep everyone safe as the top priority. Kind of like what we're taught in referee training.

SeaJayBee repped this.
  13. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Do you have a law degree? I thought we were supposed to listen to the experts. :)

Newsom's edict is absolutely unconstitutional, and if it continues for months, there will be lawsuits, which will be vindicated. He's getting a short term pass from the courts, but it won't last indefinitely.

14. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    The lawyer in my house has no problem with it, nor does my son (HLS) in New York. So if we're talking about JDs as a qualification, I think you may be outvoted, and I didn't know you were a con law expert?

15. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Lawyers disagreeing about the law? Color me surprised. :)

Epidemiologists disagree, too, you know. So do climatologists. And the best medical advice you can get is, "get a second opinion."

I'm tired of your "listen to the experts, shtick," and you were just punked by your hypocrisy. If you want to debate law with me, start by looking at the constitutional case law, starting with Korematsu.

"Narrowly tailored."

16. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I did study con law, and SCOTUS got it wrong (retrospectively) more than once.

Are you ok with the president getting rid of the person overseeing the disbursement of $2 trillion in emergency funds, effectively reverting control to himself? Or does presidential graft not press any of your "that's unconstitutional!" buttons?

bsman repped this.
  17. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    They certainly got in wrong in Korematsu, because the government data was defective. (Kind of like last month's computer models.)

18. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    Imagine for a minute if NY was following the no-need-for-SIP mentality, their 731 deaths yesterday would’ve been a tiny fraction of their daily death total, just the cost of doing business when herd immunity is your goal. :rolleyes:

sorry all you dead folks and your families, we gotta let this thing run free and unfettered, government shut downs are authoritarian and repressive and unconstitutional and trampling on my rights.

SeaJayBee and TyffaneeSue repped this.
  19. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I don't have to imagine. De Blasio was urging New Yorkers to go out on the town a month ago, at the same time Santa Clara County was telling us to avoid large gatherings.

20. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    De Blasio must’ve been watching Fox News and listening to the president. :(

21. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Uh huh. :ROFLMAO:

22. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    But if you were a govt official you’d be telling folks to just go about their daily lives. No need for SIP. Right.

23. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    How many times do I have to repeat myself? Shelter in place is not synonymous with social distancing. There are lots of narrowly tailored alternatives to the Governor's unconstitutional decree.

SalinasQuakesFan repped this.
  24. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    So, herd immunity has to be tailored to the herd because we’re not all part of the same herd and this pandemic isn’t really global. It would be fascinating to get your take on how the governor’s decree should be tailor made for your unique neighborhood like a custom suit. Because that’s completely laughable.

TyffaneeSue repped this.
  25. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    It may be laughable to you, but it's the law. The government has to have a compelling interest and a narrowly tailored solution in order to curtail your civil liberties. Combating coronavirus is undoubtedly a compelling interest, but Newsom's order is undeniably not narrowly tailored.

So, again, if it's short term, with a definite ending, or clear criteria for extension (as @Earthshaker has inferred), a lock down decree can probably pass muster. But an indefinite order cannot, especially when there are more narrowly-tailored alternatives. And especially when the justification was based on phony data, as Newsom's was. The data we're seeing after three weeks shows that the models he relied upon were ridiculously exaggerated.