Alert: Covid-19 and our favorite team

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by TyffaneeSue, Mar 11, 2020.

1. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    TyffaneeSue and Antonio2020 repped this.
  2. Antonio2020

Antonio2020 Member

Nov 28, 2016
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
  3. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. FUAEG

FUAEG Member+

Oct 18, 2005
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Back to the Earthquakes -- I wonder at what point they will call the season...and refund our $. Even when this SIP starts to lift (and must be relaxed very gradually and only when we have testing) I doubt large gatherings will be allowed this year.

6. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FUAEG repped this.
  7. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Organization are trying to put rules in place to protect people, but they are missing the corner cases. It’s going to suck for a while.

8. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can’t say how the Quakes will or won’t behave. However, I was booked on a cruise for late March. The Cruise has been “postponed” and we are NOT getting any refunds. It’s possible that the cruise will be “postponed” until next spring, when they were supposed to do another one anyway. To me, that means the cruise is canceled. If they did it in the fall, or very early next year with another one a month or two later, I would still see that as postponed. However, they are keeping our money and telling us: “Of course, you’ll be able to use your 2020 tickets just as soon as we organize another cruise.” It’s purely a business decision to screw over their customers in order to protect themselves financially. It’s crap.

I fear the same thing with Quakes tickets, but they might be better than the cruise people.

Also, any further word on the Quakes paying their hourly employees? Are they paying Q? Are they paying the concessions people? Game day security?

I should look on the Quakes site.
    No, nothing about paying hourly employees. Shit.

Go Quakesfans!!

- Mark

9. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I previously posted in another thread that the Quakes are doing right by both their full- and part-time staff, "for now."

markmcf8 repped this.
  10. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    A lot of companies were ok with paying their lowest-salaried people through April 5, or whatever the original end date was. Now that those three weeks are ending, many jobs will too. I just heard about a law firm that is imposing a 25% pay cut across the board.

Meanwhile, the government refuses to reopen the health insurance market for a special enrollment period. Unemployment + pandemic + no health insurance = what could go wrong?

markmcf8 repped this.
  11. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Its called Corona virus because it resembles a crown?

[​IMG]

Looks like some kind of Red Devil Fireworks...

[​IMG]

12. tvromero

tvromero Member

Jun 2, 2018
    Code:
    Country    Population    Deaths    Per-Capita
    US - Expected    327,096,265    100,000    0.03057%
    Italy    60,627,291    13,155    0.02170%
    Spain    46,692,858    9,387    0.02010%
    Belgium    11,482,178    828    0.00721%
    Netherlands    17,059,560    1,173    0.00688%
    France    64,990,511    4,032    0.00620%
    Switzerland    8,525,611    488    0.00572%
    Iran    81,800,188    3,036    0.00371%
    UK    67,141,684    2,352    0.00350%
    US    327,096,265    4,718    0.00144%
    Germany    83,124,418    920    0.00111%
    Turkey    82,340,088    277    0.00034%
    South Korea    51,171,706    165    0.00032%
    Canada    37,074,562    112    0.00030%
    China    1,427,647,786    3,312    0.00023%
    Japan    127,202,192    57    0.00004%
    Mexico    126,190,788    29    0.00002%
    India    1,352,642,280    58    0.00000%

13. SalinasQuakesFan

Mar 27, 2010
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    It's easy to say the hospital is being the "bad" guy, but look at it from their side. They don't know if the mask she is brought into to use is clean, let alone COVID free. Should we also let patients bring in their own "medical" gear?

DotMPP repped this.
  14. ColinMcCarthy

ColinMcCarthy Member+

Apr 2, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I'm ok with no refund if they continue to pay staff, all of them.

Also, I expect some portion of the season will be played, maybe without crowds. The season lasts until November so a truncated season in some form is not out of the question.

markmcf8 and don gagliardi repped this.
  15. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Sorry, that doesn't fly. Hospitals are begging for donations of homemade masks! They can't be picky right now. We also have to presume that a health care provider has both a strong awareness of sanitary practices and a desire for self-preservation. If the choice is between no PPE and her own N95, that's a non-starter.

Similar with patients, though they may or may not have a similar grasp of proper sanitization practices.The last time I visited a health care facility -- three long weeks ago -- I saw plenty of patients with their own masks -- and staff grateful that they were being protected from any viruses those patients might carry.

16. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    I’m missing your point on this. Her hospital was not allowing ANY floor staff to wear masks. They told her she couldn’t wear her own mask, basically because they didn’t have enough to provide her co-workers with masks.

That’s criminal. They are forcing their healthcare workers to be exposed at a very unsafe level. Not only that, but if by chance she DID get infected, her mask could really help prevent her from infecting patients and co-workers.

markmcf8 and TyffaneeSue repped this.
  17. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    . . . I know not whether Laws be right,
    Or whether Laws be wrong;
    All that we know who lie in gaol
    Is that the wall is strong;
    And that each day is like a year,
    A year whose days are long . . .

-- Oscar Wilde, Ballad of Reading Gaol

DotMPP repped this.
  18. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
  19. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
  20. due time

due time Member+

Mar 1, 1999
    Santa Clara
    Thanks for posting the source data...it's informative and useful.

I'm not seeing what you are seeing. If you think US is going to end up at 100,000 deaths, and starting today the people in all other countries will stop dying, then yes, US will rise to the top. That's a dubious proposition at best.

As it stands today, US death rate per capita is behind 8 countries in your table (with a large number of countries missing) and on par with Germany.

Right now Italy's death rate is 14.5 TIMES higher than ours. It's not even close.

I am curious, is this your own conclusion or did you take it from some other source?

DotMPP repped this.
  21. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    You know, I’m old enough to remember the folding of many soccer leagues. ASL , NASL , MISL, NPSL, CISL , WSA, WSL, ASL2, APSL, SISL, SOSL, A-League, MISL2 and most recently the NASL 2....

With so much uncertainty about the future and this virus, I hope this epidemic doesn’t kill MLS.

Coronavirus: MLS to cut employees' salaries up to 25-percent - source

Antonio2020 repped this.
  22. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    One source often quoted by the White House is the Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation: https://covid19.healthdata.org/projections

Scroll down for their estimate range: between 41,000 and 177,000 total deaths from the current wave (not including what might happen in the fall). The model assumes that all governors will institute distancing measures within the next few days (many still have not) and that the current policies continue to June 1, also tbd.

In fact, many people are still not taking precautions, and it's unclear whether we can continue isolation/distancing for another two months.

There is no question that we will outpace everyone. Europe is almost totally SIP. We're not even close.

markmcf8 repped this.
  23. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Today MLS announced they are cutting HQ salaries by 25%. I assume they will furlough people too, as they don't need travel and event staff right now. i assume they will keep the digital guys as they try to provide something for fans to read. So I would guess that the clubs will follow suit.

USA Rugby filed for bankruptcy today because they owed World Rugby several million dollars; apparently they have been struggling for awhile.

I'd be extremely surprised if the Quakes offered refunds to STHs. I would expect John Fisher to instead hold onto every penny so that he can buy up as much real estate as possible.

DotMPP and TyffaneeSue repped this.
  24. due time

due time Member+

Mar 1, 1999
    Santa Clara
    Once again another post with no links, just talking points from somewhere. I will not respond to any more of your posts if you can't post the source of your information so I can evaluate it without wasting a lot of my time.

Fact: the president waited until 45 other countries

This article says Italy was the only European country at the time, and in fact, was announced the same day as the US, we just delayed implementation a couple days. Note that this EU health authority is actually arguing AGAINST further travel bans!

"The only country in Europe that has banned direct flights from China when the Coronavirus started was Italy,” says Pascal Canfin, the chair of the European Parliament’s public health committee and a close ally of French President Emmanuel Macron.
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/daveke...ina-before-americait-didnt-work/#5c481fba481b

This article from the day of the announcement lists a handful of countries with some restrictions, enacted a few days before Trumps announcement. Along with others with some strongly worded advisories.
    https://time.com/5774906/airlines-ground-flights-coronavirus/

25. due time

due time Member+

Mar 1, 1999
    Santa Clara
    At least this one is true as much as it is misguided. Yes Trump has not issued SIP across the country. True, but it doesn't mean what you think it means. Here you and I sit, SIP'ing for what, the 2nd week. And yet, Trump didn't order it! What does that mean? It means that COUNTIES and STATES, when they see fit can order SIP. And it is appropriate, per our US constitution, for the STATES to exercise and wield that power based on the conditions in their jurisdiction. Trump is leaving the decision to the States and local governments - as he SHOULD do.
    If you had read the wikipedia link I provided yesterday you would know that.

SalinasQuakesFan repped this.