Alert: Covid-19 and our favorite team

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by TyffaneeSue, Mar 11, 2020.

1. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. DotMPP

DotMPP 'Quakes fan in Stumptown

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jun 29, 2004
    SE Portland, OR
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FYP

3. tenfourteen

tenfourteen Member

Sep 30, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    please don't go or support anyone going there. Resources are scarce. and besides COVID19 is already there

4. FUAEG

FUAEG Member+

Oct 18, 2005
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Roche (pronounced Row Shh) is a big bay area employer with a large campus in Pleasanton and a new campus in Santa Clara just a short bike ride from the stadium (don't ask me how I know). Genentech is also part of Roche.

The lack of awareness of Roche in the local community is a problem for Roche as they complete for talent in the bay area job market.

They'd make an ideal stadium sponsor ... except ... Roach Stadium.

2in10 and DotMPP repped this.
  5. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes

Given the fact that our healthcare system is, by and large, operated with a view to increasing shareholder wealth as opposed to actually serving the needs of the public, this is what it has in common with the prior financial disruptions.

6. due time

due time Member+

Mar 1, 1999
    Santa Clara
    Yes, not only shareholder wealth, but the wealth of the doctors...and the nurses...and the technicians...and the janitors.

And the way they increase their wealth is to provide services than their customers want and need and pay for. Meaning by serving the needs of the public.

You said it like it was a bad thing.

Beerking repped this.
  7. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    If you track the American health care system since the industry switched to for-profit sometime around the early 80s, care has gotten increasingly expensive and more of the revenues have been channeled to insurance companies and big pharma as well as shareholders. Doctors, nurses, techs, custodians are not seeing that money. I've had MD friends move out of this area because they couldn't afford to live here -- I'm shocked how little some of them earn after so many years of training.

As for Roche as a stadium sponsor -- I hope they've been asked, and I'll bet people could get used to the pronunciation pretty quickly. Roche does not sound like "roach" any more than "rose" does.

DotMPP, markmcf8 and 2in10 repped this.
  8. FUAEG

FUAEG Member+

Oct 18, 2005
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mike Pence just mispronounced it as Roach 30 minutes ago in the National Emergency declaration. Think of what Galaxy fans would do.

OTOH it would be fun telling people you're off to La Cucaracha for the Quakes game.

DotMPP, 2in10, don gagliardi and 2 others repped this.
  9. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They are busy making test kits for the BudLight virus too! Also, they are a foreign company. Not USians, which doesn’t bother me one whit. Yeah, they’d make a good sponsor. Do they still have a campus up by the VA hospital in Palo Alto? Uphill from Foothill Expressway?

Go Quakes!!
    Fisher OUT!!

- Mark

10. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We could wear Roach Stadium with Pride!

upload_2020-3-13_14-50-13.jpg

Go Quakes!!
    Fisher OUT!!

- Mark

11. SalinasQuakesFan

Mar 27, 2010
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Why?

12. SalinasQuakesFan

Mar 27, 2010
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    My wife is one those you mention. The doctors she works with, the majority are so deep in debt from school, and not having been taught how to run a business. The few that DO have common sense are doing OK. The healthcare profession's "unseen" i.e. jaintors/housekeeping/ kitchen DO NOT make as much as you seem to think they do.

13. FUAEG

FUAEG Member+

Oct 18, 2005
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's mostly VMware up there now, with a little Tesla sprinkled in for flavor.
    I'm not sure where the Roche-Syntex group moved to.

markmcf8 repped this.
  14. DotMPP

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jun 29, 2004
    SE Portland, OR
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I misunderstood who you meant by "they". I understand your point.

I'm not sure about grouping health insurance providers with healthcare delivery though. The former is certainly not doing anyone, with the exception of their employees and shareholders, anything useful, while the latter has to operate in a way that is a constant fight between doing to do what's right for the patient with what the insurance providers will allow.

It would seem that at some point in the past, health care insurance came about as a means to fight against healthcare providers operating in their own interest rather than that of their patient. But do we really think the healthcare provider is completely populated by folks who need to be reeled in by insurance providers. (rhetorical question)

15. DotMPP

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jun 29, 2004
    SE Portland, OR
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #90 DotMPP, Mar 13, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2020
    I think you're mistaken. :ROFLMAO:.

A high school buddy's father, who was a legend at Ames Research Center, and was a successful investor, told us that the worst investors were Doctors and Airline Pilots (I think after I had indicated that MY father was a TWA pilot).

His theory was that in both cases, Dr's and Pilots, the individual has vast earning potential without any economic and mathematical background required to invest properly. (of course this was before it cost a huge 6 figure sum to get a medical degree and deregulation of the airline industry & flight deck automation that reduced the job to a glorified bus driver)

16. due time

due time Member+

Mar 1, 1999
    Santa Clara
    I have no idea what you mean by this. Can you explain? Healthcare providers have always been 'for profit'. You realize if someone pays you for doing your job or providing a service that you are doing it for profit, right? And everyone, including the janitor increases his wealth by making said profit.

Certainly the last 40-50 years has seen the rise of huge bureaucratic health insurance companies that have completely screwed over the way that health providers interact and get paid by their customers. It'd be hard for anyone but the Healthcare, Inc CEO to argue that!

That rise has convoluted the system so bad that is not even clear what value insurance companies provide anymore. Insurance, as a product, is supposed to protect you from major financial loss (think open heart surgery) by spreading the risk among a large group of people for a small cost. Like fire insurance for your house. But now we pay insurance companies for EVERY aspect of health, not just to mitigate the major loss. It makes no sense, and adds unnecessary cost to the entire system.

QuakeAttack repped this.
  17. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    2in10 and markmcf8 repped this.
  18. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, why? What resources are scarce? Masks and hand sanitizer? They are scarce everywhere. And with people not travelling as much, you would think there would be an abunbdance of "resources" available there, especially to those going on vacation. A couple friends of mine just returned a few days ago from a two week vacation to Hawaii and said the trip was great, and didn't mention anything out of the ordinary.

19. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    As I expected, the US fares poorly in hospital beds per capita among developed countries. (2016 data).

Total hospital beds per 1,000 population, 2016 or nearest year
    Japan
    Germany
    Austria
    France
    Belgium
    Comparable Country Average

Switzerland
    Australia
    Netherlands
    United States

Canada
    United Kingdom
    Sweden
    Notes: In cases where 2016 data were unavailable, data from the last available year are shown.
    Source: KFF analysis of OECD data Get the data PNG
    [​IMG]

https://www.healthsystemtracker.org/indicator/quality/hospital-beds-per-capita/

20. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    2in10 and markmcf8 repped this.
  21. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    #97 don gagliardi, Mar 14, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2020
    Supposedly it's not only a shortage of hospital beds but ventilators, and operators, needed for more cases of the coronavirus, and this is where possible triage (deciding who lives and dies) could arise during the peak of the pandemic if we don't "flatten the curve.".

Yet, this problem was entirely foreseeable, and could have been eliminated with proper planning, as evidenced by this June 2011 federal government publication:

. . . In the event of a severe influenza pandemic, the need for life-saving mechanical ventilation will far outstrip the ability to provide it. According to planning assumptions from the Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS), in the United States alone, a severe influenza pandemic would infect 90 million people, hospitalizing nearly 10 million, with almost 1.5 million in ICU units and with nearly three quarters of a million people requiring mechanical ventilation [29]. According to Donald [15] report in the New York Times, there are 105,000 ventilators in the US, 100,000 of which are in use during a regular flu season, although these numbers are difficult to verify since there is no systematic reporting of ventilators or utilization rates and, according to McNeil, there is “a dispute between government health and security agencies about whether the size of the stockpile ought to be kept secret” that makes verification of the size of the federal stockpile difficult [15]. At the peak of a severe epidemic of moderate duration, the CDC’s modeling program FluSurge predicts that influenza patients would require nearly twice the total number of hospital beds, twice the total number of ventilators, and over 4½ times the total number of ICU beds in the US [12].

The effect of the material shortfall of available ventilators in a severe pandemic situation is likely to be compounded by the fact that the capacity to utilize existing equipment will be limited in such conditions. Many hospitals already function at or near their full capacity for ventilation [25]. Shortages of qualified workers to distribute and operate ventilators during a severe pandemic may also negatively affect ventilation capacity as available staff members become ill or are in the process of recovery from illness [2]. Any attempt to cope with ventilator rationing issues therefore cannot focus exclusively on the availability and distribution of machines. Attempts must also take seriously the effect of a severe pandemic, and of the response to it, on those who are required to provide care during and after the crisis . . . [Emphasis added]

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3954608/

Our government knew a decade ago it would need an estimated 750,000 ventilators to meet a pandemic. Yet there are barely 100,000 plus unstated reserves as of 2011. The current numbers I've heard reported are 160,000 and only 8,000 or 9,000 in reserve. But the need did not lessen.

This is criminally reckless behavior.

2in10, markmcf8 and TyffaneeSue repped this.
  22. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I'm not sure I can stand any more grim. I just want life to return to normal, to go back to watching our mediocre team lose against superior teams. I'll even try not to complain about the referees.

DotMPP, 2in10, Goodsport and 1 other person repped this.
  23. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    2in10, markmcf8 and Goodsport repped this.
  24. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #100 Goodsport, Mar 14, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2020
    You can currently play an entire MLS season as the San Jose Earthquakes in FIFA 20 :thumbsup:, albeit without being able to play against either Inter Miami CF or Nashville SC (both of whom will only appear in FIFA 21 later this year).

GO SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES!!! :(

-G