Alert: Covid-19 and our favorite team

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by TyffaneeSue, Mar 11, 2020.

1. vamanoshasta

vamanoshasta Member

Aug 12, 2006
    I'll be 59 in April and to date have never gotten a flu shot. I will, however, roll up my sleeve ASAP for this one. I fully agree with your statement!

TyffaneeSue and JazzyJ repped this.
  2. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    It won't open. What does it say about the Quakes?

4. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #4029 Goodsport, Feb 13, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2021
    How come? :confused:

The whole article is basically a timeline on how the pandemic and, later, Santa Clara County's multi-week ban on contact sports affected four of the five Bay Area pro sports teams whose stadiums and arena are within the county (San Jose Earthquakes, San Jose Sharks, San Francisco 49ers and the Sharks' AHL affiliate San Jose Barracuda - only the San Jose Giants aren't mentioned), as well as some other postponed events, since the Sharks last played in the SAP Center at San José last March.

In the end, it's nothing that we die-hard Earthquakes fans didn't already know, but it's pretty informative for a general readership that may not know everything about the team. Still, it's nice for the Earthquakes to be referred to in equal footing with the rest of the area's pro teams, as well as to read how all those teams' timelines fit together. :)

GO SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

-G

5. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    NYTimes today had an article about the future “vaccination passport” that multiple countries/orgs are working on. Besides being required for international travel, it could be required to enter stadiums! Probably would become part of that realID/TSA thing they used to market outside Avaya. I forgot the name of that service.

markmcf8 repped this.
  6. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Boy, THAT’LL make the conspiracy-theory ‘one-world government’ folks all warm and fuzzy!

DotMPP and Smurfquake repped this.
  7. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
  8. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca

Hopefully we can get people to believe this instead of conspiracy theories.

9. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I wouldn't hold my breath, because to a distressingly large proportion of the population:

[​IMG]

10. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The RealID program is sort of in limbo in some states during the pandemic (which makes no sense at all, but OK). On the back of your driver’s license is a fuzzy bar code, at least most states have this fuzzy bar code. These are made by a company I used to work for. (They designed the things and build the equipment necessary to make them.) They can put your whole biography into that fuzzy bar code. One of the engineers on that project told me that they could put at least a megabyte worth of data into those bar codes. So they could easily put whatever is necessary in those barcodes, but there’s no way to update them.

In any case, yes, we’re going to need to show proof of being vaccinated for a number of things. And we won’t have to follow quarantine protocols once we’ve been vaccinated and we’re two weeks beyond our second dose. So that’s cool, but we need more needles in arms. I hate needles, but I want the shot just as soon as I can get it.

Go Quakesfans!!

- Mark

mjlee22 repped this.
  11. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I hate needles and have done 188 platelet donations, so that excuse doesn't hold water.

12. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It’s not an excuse. I’m trying to get an appointment now. I’ve got to get a couple of other shots and blood tests too. I didn’t say that I wouldn’t do it, just that I don’t like it.

When I was in high school my doctor thought I had hepatitis. I didn’t, but I was in the lab every other day for two weeks getting blood draws. I had track marks on my arms and my veins were bruised. It really sucked. I did it all the same. And my blood tests almost always include an extra vile or two because my blood is a little strange. (The whole they thought I had hepatitis thing.)

Oh, once I had a nurse drawing blood who was from Romania. She sounded just like Dracula when she spoke. It was really funny and she made jokes about it. But I never felt the needle.

Anyway, as soon as I can get it.

Go Quakesfans!!

- Mark

13. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    Quakes05 repped this.
  14. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A NYTimes article on a female basketball player at Vanderbilt who developed myocarditis but was able to return to practice after 4 months

15. NedZ

NedZ Member+

May 19, 2001
    Los Gatos
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    markmcf8 repped this.
  16. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I will be getting my first shot at Levi's on Monday!

17. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    markmcf8 and TyffaneeSue repped this.
  18. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes

"Capacity will be limited to 20% in the red tier, 33% in the orange tier, and 67% in the least-restrictive yellow tier"

Well, most of the games I attended from about 2016-2019 must have been while we were in the Red or Orange tier, based on the attendance....

podrinje, SoccerMan94043 and TyffaneeSue repped this.
  19. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    April Fools?

Guess we'll start hearing from reps next week, but since only one member of my party will have had both vax doses,my family is not going to be there.

I wonder if they will make reduced packages available or if that will be too complicated for the FO. In any case, maybe we'll all have shots in time for the Clasico...and be in a higher tier by then.

20. chris thebassplayer

Feb 18, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    This should be interesting. Do they prioritize those who have been vaccinated. I'm also assuming STHs will get priority...20% capacity, so ~3700...minus maybe 150-200 for stadium staff.

Any of you insiders have a feel for the Quakes' approach...

21. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    This is better than expected news. I guess what we've learned since last March is that if you're wearing a mask outdoors and not packed in, risk is fairly low. And then of course there's the vaccines. The Biden admin's goal was 100 mil in the first 100 days, and looks like we'll blow by that. So by end of April, could be almost half the population will have been vaccinated? Maybe? And hopefully the spigot will just open up as the season wears on.

BCaso18 repped this.
  22. Eddie Stiel

Eddie Stiel Member

Sep 27, 2011
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Vaccines are voluntary and not universally available, so I can't see how they can be a priority factor. Absolutely, STH's should get priority. I hope the FO doesn't discriminate against us lowly Terrace Pass holders.

Hopefully, by the first home game, Santa Clara county will be in the orange tier with 33% capacity, which might be enough for every STH who wants to attend.

I am glad I rejected working from home to become an essential grocery worker, which has given me, I think, a broader perspective on the risks of the virus compared to people who have been stuck at home for the past year.

mjlee22 repped this.
  23. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They should absolutely prioritize vaccinated people. Both to encourage folks to get vaccinated, and because it will be safer for everyone in the stadium.

24. podrinje

podrinje Member+

Borussia Dortmund
    Bosnia and Herzegovina
    Oct 10, 2013
    Bay Area!
    Club:
    Alemannia Aachen
    Nat'l Team:
    Bosnia-Herzegovina
    That should only be the case if by the first game vaccine eligibility is extended to everyone, otherwise it would be unfair to most people.

bsman repped this.
  25. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    You would have to get your first dose within the next week or so to have developed immunity by April 17.

Also, who is a STH? We got a refund, though they kept 25% of it as a deposit. But normally we buy the tickets in October/November. Has anyone paid full price for a 2021 seat?